Range column in UNIT.DAT

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Range column in UNIT.DAT

Postby Luxor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:29 pm

My first post here. I'm doing a new mod for EFS. I've been reading almost all posts here but I couldn't find any info about the range column in unit.dat file. Is it used at all?

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 pm

It's another unused item as far as I know. Units can only ever attack another from an adjacent hex, apart from orbital bombardment.

Also, welcome to the forum! Always good to see another modder around.

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 am

Eightball Maniac wrote:It's another unused item as far as I know. Units can only ever attack another from an adjacent hex, apart from orbital bombardment.

Also, welcome to the forum! Always good to see another modder around.

Thanks for the reply.

Right now I'm reworking all the planets' maps using the Imperial Surveys manuals from the Fading Suns RPG.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Always an excellent idea. I've done the same for a number of planets, though some only needed minor tweaking in my opinion. Off the top of my head, I think Tethys required the most work of the planets I changed; that took a while.

Might I inquire as to the nature of your mod? Or are you unwilling to divulge further details yet?

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Eightball Maniac wrote:Always an excellent idea. I've done the same for a number of planets, though some only needed minor tweaking in my opinion. Off the top of my head, I think Tethys required the most work of the planets I changed; that took a while.

Might I inquire as to the nature of your mod? Or are you unwilling to divulge further details yet?

Actually I found many planets totally different from the manuals. For example Delphi and Istakhr. I´m almost reworking all from scratch.
I am basing my mod upon the Reality mod. I like the idea of a slow pace with the Church and the League having control over the worlds they should have at the beginning of the Emperor Wars.
I have also increased rebel forces so both human and AI player won´t be able to rush so quickly over planets.

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 am

I wish there could be a way to remove the planet limit of 40. I'm removing Vau and Vryl-ya (Vau presence is already in Manitou and Apshai) and adding Kordeth and Ungavorox (or maybe Velisimil). The map should be more interesting in this way.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Just reviewed the survey maps. I don't think I've even looked at the one for Istakhr before; I never realized the massive difference between that and the EFS version. Delphi isn't as bad, though there are the obvious differences.

The main problem with EFS is that the small size of the maps makes it difficult to support reasonably sized replicas of some of the official planet maps, or at least I think so. Do you have any screenshots of your versions? Would love to see some of your maps to see how you handled it.

The Vau planets are indeed superfluous since the race is completely useless in the game. I've considered removing those as well in favor of other worlds, possibly Hargard and Hira instead. Haven't bothered yet, though.

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:53 pm

This is Istakhr

and this is Delphi

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 am

Very nice. I like the close attention to detail; you even followed the desert/moist dividers on Istakhr. However, shouldn't Delphi have less green temperate area (apart from the volcanic zone)? Seems a bit much to me, at least.

Looking forward to trying your mod when you release it.

Luxor
Fighter pilot

Postby Luxor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Eightball Maniac wrote:Very nice. I like the close attention to detail; you even followed the desert/moist dividers on Istakhr. However, shouldn't Delphi have less green temperate area (apart from the volcanic zone)? Seems a bit much to me, at least.

Looking forward to trying your mod when you release it.

Thanks. About Delphi, this is its opening description "Bathed in the glow of its yellow-orange sun, from space Delphi appears broken into three horizontal bands. The center is a wide zone of green and ocean blue, capped by great domes of white ice at its two growing polar regions."
So, I made Midlatitude and Subtropical zones (taken from map in IS 1) green.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Fair enough. I suppose I'm just used to a frosty Delphi from vanilla EFS.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”