number for specific technology?

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Writhdar
Tank commander

number for specific technology?

Postby Writhdar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

In the Technology table (TECH.DAT), I see code numbers for required techs but not for the actual technology. For example, in vanilla EFS, the techs needed for "Cyberpilot" are 12, 24, and 56. However, I don't see any code number for Cyberpilot itself. Does anyone know where this can be found?

(I have opened the TECH.DAT file with both Notepad and Excel but cannot see the code number with either.)

Thank you.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Which tech gets which code number is actually quite simple, though not immediately obvious. With "Nothing" as 0 and "Microbiology" as 1, the tech numbers increase sequentially right down the list.

Thus, the following examples:

Cyberpilot: 9
Barren Environment: 20
Fusion Cannon: 51
Indoctrination: 65

To double check that the numbers are correct, just find a tech that requires the one you're looking for, if possible. For Cyberpilot, the Cyber Fighter (76) uses it, and you can see the 9 for Cyberpilot listed in its required techs, along with Space Fighter (75).

If you plan on doing much with the tech file, I recommend adding in lines every x lines to save you the trouble of counting from the top each time, such as this:

// #70 is Vlad Cruiser

added between Space Cruiser and Space Destroyer. It helps greatly in finding a needed tech number rapidly, at least for me.

Also, my numbers might be different from standard, thanks to past tech tree adjustments I've done, so beware.

Writhdar
Tank commander

Postby Writhdar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Thank you very much.

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:31 pm

wow, thank your for using the forum, Eightball Maniac, for coming back ;)

Return to “Fixing it ourself”