Windows 7 - getting rid of "no CD" endless loop?

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Writhdar
Tank commander

Windows 7 - getting rid of "no CD" endless loop?

Postby Writhdar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:48 pm

On Windows 7, I used the Underdogs Self-installing version patched to 1.4. It installed and I could play the game once. On the second try, I get into an endless" looking for Cd ...\devices\harddisk3\DR3...." message and i have to do a power-off shutdown to get out of it.

Is there a way to edit the registry so that it won't look for the cd? Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 am

I've not heard of that particular error before, but I just copied one of my EFS folders over to my Win 7 x64 rig and used the registry info posted in this thread. Works fine now!

Hope that helps.

Writhdar
Tank commander

Postby Writhdar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Thank you very much - it worked for EFS and for the Nova mod as well. It did not work for the Reality mod so I'll have to create a new reality folder - hopefully, it'll go okay.

The reg file didn't automatically load into the registry - I had to enter it manually and think I did it correctly

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 am

Strange. The one registry file worked automatically for me and also covered both EFS folders I tried. I didn't do a test with Reality, but I don't see why that would cause trouble. Did the new folder for it work?

Writhdar
Tank commander

Postby Writhdar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm

yes - i copied the EFS folder and did the Reality & Emperor mod changes to it. Both its EFS & Hyperion executables work. The game does open more slowly (length of blank screen duration) than it did on my XP computer. I tried different compatibilities but the results were similar. But - I can now play it so that's great.

I now want to see about improving its look on my new widescreen monitor - things are stretched horizontally.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”