exe replacement

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

tichtich
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tichtich » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 am

I've just uploaded branch rsw4, with my latest additions.

I cloned again, made branch rsw4 off the master, copied my latest files over the working version, and then manually edited in your changes since your last merge. All traces of EFS.INI data should now be gone for good. This took me rather a long time, and despite what I wrote earlier, I really don't want to clone again. Is there a strong reason for me doing so?

I was wrong about there being no changes at all in your master. But as far as I could see, the only changes you'd made from my 3rd set of modifications (rsw2) was commenting out a couple of fields in Game, and possibly some changes to .gitattributes (which I didn't overwrite). If you made any other changes, they've been lost.

I had difficulty diffing my latest version with your master, since I'd reformatted and you apparently hadn't. Or else we'd somehow chosen different reformatting options. I wonder whether reformatting is worth it. I suppose it will be OK from now on if we really have both got the same automatic reformatting options, and if there's no difference between automatic reformatting and manually selected reformatting. But if there are any further problems with reformatting, I'm going to suggest that we don't use it at all. I can't see a need for it.

Despite your having made almost no changes, I still managed to waste over two hours on this. If it doesn't get easier pretty soon, I think I will reconsider my decision to continue. Sorry, but I'm feeling rather tired and fed up right now. Things will probably look better in the morning.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:22 pm

flowerpot wrote:Okay, I just digged netbeans.org and apparently there is format on save feature in tools->options->editor->"on save". I'm gonna turn that on from now on. If there are no problems I keep it on.

I've now switched it on too. I've set it too "All lines".

This was a mistake by me. I should have told you to set it to modified lines only ...
I had difficulty diffing my latest version with your master, since I'd reformatted and you apparently hadn't.

... also, another mistake by me, reformatting should have been done as a separate commit with only reformatting changes so that we would have known that all changes are reformatting changes and can be accepted without supervision ...
But if there are any further problems with reformatting, I'm going to suggest that we don't use it at all. I can't see a need for it.

Despite your having made almost no changes, I still managed to waste over two hours on this.

... so, two mistakes by me, not telling you to set "modified lines only" and not enforcing a separate reformat only commit. Sigh, one mistake can be inconvenient but two acting together can be bad. Perhaps you should have checked out an earlier non formatted commit and work from that. I haven't yet looked at rsw4 but I think I will be facing the same changes when I merge rsw4 into master :(

Edit. ugh modified files list, well most of them should be simple formatting changes, but I'll have sort through that. That's what you get for making two interacting mistakes ...

nbproject/build-impl.xml
src/dat/Comments.java
src/dat/Damage.java
src/dat/EfsIni.java
src/dat/Harvest.java
src/dat/Modifications.java
src/dat/Prod.java
src/dat/ResPair.java
src/dat/ResType.java
src/galaxyreader/Galaxy.java
src/galaxyreader/GalaxyReader.java
src/galaxyreader/JumpGate.java
src/galaxyreader/RingCounter.java
src/galaxyreader/Structure.java
src/galaxyreader/Unit.java
src/game/Battle.java
src/game/Economy.java
src/game/Faction.java
src/game/GalaxyGrid.java
src/game/Game.java
src/game/GameResources.java
src/game/Hex.java
src/game/Message.java
src/game/PlanetGrid.java
src/game/Resources.java
src/game/Square.java
src/gui/CombatWindow.java
src/gui/GlobeMap.java
src/gui/Gui.java
src/gui/MainMenu.java
src/gui/PlanetWindow.java
src/gui/Resource.java
src/gui/SpaceWindow.java
src/gui/StackWindow.java
src/gui/UnitInfoWindow.java
src/gui/UnitPanel.java
src/phoenix/Phoenix.java
src/state/CW1.java
src/state/CW2.java
src/state/PW.java
src/state/PW1.java
src/state/PW2.java
src/state/PW3.java
src/state/PW4.java
src/state/SU.java
src/state/SW.java
src/state/SW1.java
src/state/SW2.java
src/state/SW3.java
src/state/State.java
src/state/StateRef.java
src/state/UIW2.java
src/util/C.java
src/util/Comp.java
src/util/PathFind.java
src/util/RingCounter.java
src/util/StackIterator.java
src/util/Util.java
src/util/WindowSize.java

flowerpot wrote:The filecopy merges are a bit of an extra work for me but it is also an inconvenience that you had to always start with a new clone of master.

I didn't realise you wanted me to clone every time. I thought you meant just once. But, OK, I'll clone each time.

No, you don't have to clone every time. Since you moved to using development branches the master will stay uncompromized even if some development branch develops problems, so you can safely stick to one repository as long as you don't merge those branches onto master.

flowerpot wrote:The issues with merge are not so bad that I would like give up collaborating, but I find all this shared work management difficult. Eg. we should have discussed project management issues like code formatting and who does what right at the start instead of just diving into coding things, this is especially bad since there is virtually no documentation in Phoenix prior to your coming on board. So apparently my project management skills could be better, among other things. You might also have noticed how I respond late and some things slip past me and are left unanswered. I also find myself preoccupied with worrying about bugs the collaboration might introduce. And I find it hard give up complete control of the project.

I understand all those concerns. And I find it difficult too. Going from one developer to two does involve a significant extra amount of time spent on communication, and some extra risk of errors arisng through one person not understanding what the other has done. But I hope this will be balanced by the contribution I'm making, and some of my suggestions may help reduce some risks of bugs.

I appreciate you contributions greatly. But I'm finding this collaboration too hard to handle :( I'm thinking I would like to give up collaborating soon.

flowerpot wrote:Maybe I should try to add resource display to the planet window in the mean time.

I was thinking that might be a good job for me. It shouldn't take me long to deal with loyalty and money (which I was planning to do next), and then I'll be looking around for something else to do. I think I'll need to start learning how the GUI works at some stage, and that could be a relatively simple first step. But I'm open to other suggestions.
Actually I was thinking the Gui would be a one part of Phoenix I'd like to keep strictly under my control and everything that touches states as well.

tichtich
Assault Legionnaire

Postby tichtich » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm

flowerpot wrote:I appreciate you contributions greatly. But I'm finding this collaboration too hard to handle :( I'm thinking I would like to give up collaborating soon.

I think that would be for the best, unfortunately. Now that spring is here, I'd quite like to be spending more time outside anyway. So let's agree to stop now. I just hope you will be able to use what I've done so far, particularly all the new resource handling, which I'm quite proud of. ;)

I also have a short text file in which I've been recording the differences (minor) from EFS. I'll email that to you.

Thanks for the time you've spent working with me. Apart from the struggles with git (which has really earned its name as far as I'm concerned) I've mostly enjoyed the experience, and I've learnt a lot. It's been nice to exercise my atrophied programming muscles, and to revisit EFS. I wish you all the best with the project, and I'll drop in occasionally to see if there's any news.

Cheers.
Richard.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:55 pm

tichtich wrote:
flowerpot wrote:I appreciate you contributions greatly. But I'm finding this collaboration too hard to handle :( I'm thinking I would like to give up collaborating soon.

I think that would be for the best, unfortunately. Now that spring is here, I'd quite like to be spending more time outside anyway. So let's agree to stop now. I just hope you will be able to use what I've done so far, particularly all the new resource handling, which I'm quite proud of. ;)

Well, I wish I had been a better project manager ...
You've implemented resource harvesting, secondary production, food consumption and resource handling. All that is useful and necessary to produce a playable game. I appreciate that you wrote the code to read the harvesting and production data, cause somehow I just felt that was complicated. And the new resource handling looks very good, I'm looking forward to interfacing it with unit building to reflect the availability of resources.

Thanks for the time you've spent working with me. Apart from the struggles with git (which has really earned its name as far as I'm concerned) I've mostly enjoyed the experience, and I've learnt a lot. It's been nice to exercise my atrophied programming muscles, and to revisit EFS. I wish you all the best with the project, and I'll drop in occasionally to see if there's any news.

I thank you too for the time. I particularly enjoyed the conversations, it was good to exchange ideas with somebody. Our collaboration has been a benefit to the project in more ways than simply producing useful code. I learned some basics of project management, some (or most :) ) of it the hard way. I may also have learned some bad habits from you :), I find myself using comments in my new code much more than previously. My next release target is/was 1: unit building, 2: resources , 3: research & technologies and 4: integration of 1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 are done and 3 is underway so if all goes well there should be news sooner than later.

Best wishes, Flowerpot

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I have a new release, the announcement is in the phoenix announcements thread in the EFS Clone subforum where all the future releases will be posted.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”