New Bug with Mixed Stacks of 0 and non-0 Spot Units

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

New Bug with Mixed Stacks of 0 and non-0 Spot Units

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:40 pm

There is a new bug that Shocker and I just discovered testing out a new "unoffical" version of the Hyperion patch.

Since this bug actually affects all patches (even the EFS V1.4 UNIT.DAT), I'm posting it here.

There is situation where unit stacks with 0 and non-zero Spot can cause the game to crash when picking destinations that takes the stack through an unspotted hex.

This can occur when moving Cargo Pods (Spot = 0) and other units (Spot != 0) that are stacked together when the player clicks on the destination city (or hex) that causes the movement routine to plot the movement path through a hex that has not been spotted. Since units with 0 Spot are not allowed to move into unspotted terrain, this causes the game to crash (lockup).

The problem is easily fixed by not allowing units to have 0 Spotting, but then this effectively reverts this aspect of the game back to V1.3 in which these units can now be used to uncover terrain.

The alternative is to leave it as is and to just be careful moving units with mixed stacks of Spotting = 0 and Spotting != 0. Since it has taken this long to find the bug, it is reasonable to conclude that this bug is very rare and that the map has to be uncovered in such a fashion as to allow the possibility of plotting movement paths through uncovered hexes when clicking on destination hexes, which, apparently, is fairly unlikely.

Matt
Matt

Sukayo
Noble

Re: New Bug with Mixed Stacks of 0 and non-0 Spot Units

Postby Sukayo » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:12 am

Ooops, remembering some moves with ships, loaded with cargo - in the same muster. While clicking on the map and letting the CPU plot the route through/around unspotted hexes the game crashed, moving manualy all was ok.

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:06 pm

I seconded Klaus's observations, using some boats to scout and it would lock up consistently.

There might be another bug in there with boat movement, since sometimes even with no unexplored hexes on the planet it has locked up on me when picking a destination for some boats (mix of destroyers, battleships & carriers).

Thanks for highlighting a situation to avoid Matt!

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:23 pm

One more related to boats. When trying to sail through a river's delta or through a river but giving the way more then one hex the game MAY crash but not always. If click every hex one by one - all is OK.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Return to “Fixing it ourself”