Nova and the Windows XP problem

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Dave Durocher
Infantery

Nova and the Windows XP problem

Postby Dave Durocher » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:23 pm

I tried to install EFS on my new computer with XP and it rand as indicated below, with the "Direct X
not installed" message. I will try the registry change (never done this before, but I will give it a shot),
but I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten the game to work with XP and also have you
gotten the Nova patch to work with XP?

Shakedown St
Infantery

Re: Nova and the Windows XP problem

Postby Shakedown St » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:00 am

Yeah, I got it to work on Win XP. I d/l the game from Underdogs plus the patch. I installed the game, ran the registry edit, the ran the patch. However, on Win XP you can tweak the compatibility mode on older programs to make them run. Right click on the efs.exe and chose properties then click the compatibilty tab. Chose run in Windows 95 mode and you might want to tweak the rs and colors as well to avoid any possible problems. Give it a try and let me know.

Dave Durocher
Infantery

Postby Dave Durocher » Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:42 pm

I tried the registry fix last night and it worked. One note: Appparently you need to reboot the computer after changing the registry. After a couple tries, I figured this out. Also, I downloaded the self-extracting zip folder from the Nova site here and tried to unzip, but it did not seem to auto-install. I manually copied all of the files into the respective EFS folders and that seemed to work. Any ideas out there as to wether I am running the full Nova version? It says so in the lower RH corner of the map. Also, I never downloaded the patch for EFS (version 1.4, I believe?). Is this necessary with the Nova game? I recall this helping with some of the gameplay mechanics like orbital bombardment, etc.

Also (sorry for rambling), has the late game excess construction slowdown been reduced/eliminated by the Nova game changes? I recall the game getting unplayable with 20+minute turns back in the old days on my Pentium 1.

Thanks!
Dave Durocher

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:22 am

Dave,

Nova v 2.3 is recommended to run over EFS v1.4.

I believe that Patch 1.4 solves the end of game slow down problem.

- Shocker.
Long Live EFS!

Zog
Infantery

Postby Zog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:26 am

I have a new issue. I have XP SP2. I've installed EFS from my old CD, and then downloaded Nova 2-3 and copied the files over the old files. Now when I run EFS, I get the House screen and the entire appliation locks up with this error message:

The Instruction at 0047ed73 reference memory at 0224a1a8 The memory could not be read from

Anybody know whats going on or how to fix it?

Metalurge
Infantery

Postby Metalurge » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:13 pm

had the same problem when I was playing the full cd version, Zog...I downloaded the Underdogs version and it works fine

Return to “Fixing it ourself”