EFSUNIT.BIN

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Bfriudo
Fighter pilot

EFSUNIT.BIN

Postby Bfriudo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:59 pm

I have recently started toying again with the editor, which I only started to use last year and only sporadically, but the EFS malady has to come back and strike from time to time I guess. Given my poor skills I was both impressed and galvanized at my successful attempt to edit the .flc files and went on adding a lot of (hopefully) nice units, until I realized the Militia icon is not stored in the mod I am working on at the moment, which is Subversion Mod. The Mod brings a lot of nice and fitting new icons which I wouldn't want to part with, but in order to restore the Militia Icon I'd have to "patch" it over something I was incline to leave out, and that's where efsunit.bin comes into action.
I have tried searching around in this forum and read through Nova page, but the whole thing is not really clear to me - hex editors, editing file headers (I haven't still figured out what these are...), converting things...is there any other place to look for advice, a more in-depth guide or anyone willing to help or explain what I am not understanding?
Also, I believe militia units were around when I tried to play a galaxy with this mod, but it seems I can't place that icon. Unit.dat lists it at number 89 but it looks I can't place it - I am probably missing or overlooking something.
Thanks in advance for any clue!

TKComposition
Infantery

Re: EFSUNIT.BIN

Postby TKComposition » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 pm

If you get the efsunit.bin file from Nova or the original game it's the the 85th icon. Each icon is 32 pixels wide by 32 pixels tall; each pixel represented by a byte. There are 92 icons in the efsunit.bin file, each 1024 bytes (32*32). So if you want the militia icon copy the 85th 1024 bytes out of one of those files and use that to overwrite the icon you don't want. If you look at it like an array each, wich each entry 1024 bytes, then index =0 is the first icon, and you want to copy index = 84. Hope that helps.

Bfriudo
Fighter pilot

Re: EFSUNIT.BIN

Postby Bfriudo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:12 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. It actually helps a lot to look at it this way and it's sure worth messing around with, though I still didn't delve too much into it. Large units and tech tree rework is taking most of the time right now, and I will temporarily do with the current icons until at least the units are sort of complete. Also trying out AI behavior and (unfortunately) trying to solve very mysterious crashes during game takes quite some time (but this is mostly my brother's task).

Return to “Fixing it ourself”