Still having problems w/ Win XP installation

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Templhaven
Infantery

Still having problems w/ Win XP installation

Postby Templhaven » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:23 am

Well fellas,

I just found this game after YEARS of searching for it in CD-ROM format. However, after searching for fixes on how to make it work in WinXP, I've still not gotten it to work at all. I can install using the _issetup file, but still can't get the game to run. I used the registry fix where you assign the "D:\" value to the "CDROM" key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area. However, even after a restart of the computer, the game still will not run. I'm at my wits end on how to get this game to work. After searching all this time, will my efforts be in vain? Please let me know if there's a simple patch to install that fixes all this crud! I'd really like to know.

Thanks again,

Templhaven

Templhaven
Infantery

Re: Still having problems w/ Win XP installation

Postby Templhaven » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:37 am

I did try one thing and it seemed to work. Adjusting the Video_on=1 setting to =0 in the EFS.ini file seemed to work. I don't get the intro video sequence, but the game seems to run fine.

It would have been nice to see the intro sequence again though. Alas, guess I won't be able to anytime soon.

Thanks again for having this site.

Temp

Deathifier
Noble

Re: Still having problems w/ Win XP installation

Postby Deathifier » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:20 am

The intro video, as well as any other video played in the game are in the root directory of the CD with a .SMK extension.
Also in that directory (and in the EFS installation directory) is a program called SMACKPLW.EXE

Just drag the movie onto the EXE in explorer and it'll play.
The movies will, by default, play in a small box however you can change it with certain parameters to the EXE, just run it without a movie and it'll give you a list of switches.

- Deathifier

Return to “Fixing it ourself”