Online system for managing PBEM games

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Deathifier
Noble

Online system for managing PBEM games

Postby Deathifier » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:05 pm

I believe there has been previous discussion about setting up some online system which allows easier management of PBEM games (and of course, I can't find it!).

I am interested in developing a very simple tracking system which might be useful in assisting the management of PBEM games.

Since my website won't have enough space to store the actual savegames and with no real need for the system to do that anyway my initial plans call for something to do the following:

Allow easy access to participants e-mail addresses, such that one click will invoke their mail client with the recipients already specified (this allows the saving of outgoing mail).

Allow posting of brief messages by individual players in the event they are going to be unavailable for a period of time (when finalised, it is broadcast to everyone in that game).

Enable tracking of game progress, where the person sending out the turn tells the system it is sent, and the receiver can record that it was received. To save some manual travelling to the site the sender can be given a URL to insert into the outgoing e-mail (with the actual turn) so the recipient can simply click that to register receipt. Both of these actions can generate broadcasts if needed.

A further enhancement would allow the site to store a complete history of the game (requires much storage space).
Another would allow easy setup of game reports if the PBEM wants one.

What do people think, would such a system be useful or is it just more work (on the players part) for little gain (to managing and tracking PBEM progress)?

- Deathifier
(2am, the time *not* to write design proposals...)

Sukayo
Noble

Re: Online system for managing PBEM games

Postby Sukayo » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:18 pm

My test was only for setting up games. Your proposal sounds good, but looks like a bit of work :( .

Deathifier
Noble

Re: Online system for managing PBEM games

Postby Deathifier » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:37 am

I agree, it's targeted at newer players rather than 'veterans' who've been around a while :)

- Deathifier

Return to “Fixing it ourself”