In the Navy!

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

lycurgus33
Tank commander

In the Navy!

Postby lycurgus33 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:24 am

Hi folks. :D

I've been tinkering around with the naval units a bit. I want to make the destroyers and the battleships able to attack a stack of enemy units for one turn, damage some of them, and be able to come out of one round of that with only some damage.

I've tried it out, and so far, a stack of 3 Militia, 1 Artillery, and 1 AA Unit have been able to kill one out of a 2 destroyer group and drive off the other one, in one round, losing only one unit in the process.

How do I toughen up these naval ships to the point where they can slug it out with a stack of land units (at least the normal crummy ones) without dying in the first round of combat?

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Re: In the Navy!

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Easy! Naval ships need to be able to shell shore batteries and other land units; only shore batteries (not in the game) should be able to shell ships. Make sure the naval indirect fire values are strong; make sure that naval units can't be hit by direct or close fire in target.dat. At least I think that would do it. Only the artillery unit should have any effect. If that doesn't work, I can look at my own files when I get home: my destroyers are able to shell for many turns.

That gives me an idea for an AT gun unit that fires only against water / naval units . . .

Naval warfare has received very little attention in EFS.

lycurgus33
Tank commander

Postby lycurgus33 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 am

Awesome. :D

I had no idea what that target.dat DAT file was for.... I've just made the changes now, so lets see how it works. :D

lycurgus33
Tank commander

Postby lycurgus33 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:01 am

Well I tried it and it worked, sort of.

Starting a game as the Decados, I took their two destroyers out east to bombard the Well that's on a nearby island. 1 Artillery unit there was able to take out 1 destroyer on one round of combat.... and the second in the second round. :p The destroyers did manage to destroy some of the defenders though.

Hmmm, perhaps the armor rating of the destroyers could be boosted? What about "agility"?

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:49 am

Here's my field arty unit:
"Field Artillery"
"stats" "foot 4 2 4 3 15 20
indirect: 4 80 0 0 3 30 5 40

and my destroyer:
"Destroyer"
"stats" "naval 16 5 4 4 40 120 water: 7 40 3 70 4 40

I have no memory of the original EFS. But I doubt these are much different. I'd bet the original allows more fire types against naval units. When stacks of infy can fire back, then you have problems. Half a stack of destroyers/battleships should be able to handle a few arty with little damage.

Sounds like you're figuring it out though.

lycurgus33
Tank commander

Postby lycurgus33 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:18 am

It seems to be going ok so far, but further tests are needed.

In one instance a rebel naval transport decided to try bombarding one of my coastal forts.... and seeing as how that type of unit only had a weak air attack at the time, and a movement of 80, that took some clicking to get through the results of that battle. *chuckles*

Return to “Fixing it ourself”