Spotting Bug

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Spotting Bug

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:28 am

There appears to be a spotting bug when a unit's spotting is 5 or 15 (potentially 25, 35, etc.).

It seems like instead of doing half the spotting, like it is supposed to, it does one third. So a spotting of 5, instead of doing a 2-hex radius, just seems to do one. A spotting of 15 does only a 5-hex radius instead of 7.

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Re: Spotting Bug

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:07 am

No - it looks like I'm wrong.

I forgot that at the beginning of the game, you get a 5 hex radius around your cities. Your units need to move to get the spotting that they use.

It looks like, though, any unit with a spot from 1 - 5 reveals the exact same amount of terrain.

Matt
Matt

Lothgoradin
Space Legionnaire

Postby Lothgoradin » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:10 am

The spot is for unit spot, of course, the better of a spotter you are, the more terrain you can see. It looks as if the programmers just picked a round number for terrain spotting. I could be wrong, but other than not being able to see what is on a grounded transport, I dont think there are any bugs with the spotting. It just needs to be tweaked with a new mod.

The Darkmage is Rising

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 am

I actually read something on spotting somewhere.

I think the formula was such that you had to have a spotting value of 7 before you could see 2 spaces.

Something like

Spotting Value = SP (unit's spotting attribute)
Spotting Distance = SD (distance in hexes a unit can spot)

Round down(SP-1)/3

and there must be some code that says something like this

IF SP < 1
SD = 0;
IF SP = 1
SD = 1;
IF SP > 1
SD = (Round down(SP-1)/3);

This may have been a formula based on obsevation vs the planned formula.
Long Live EFS!

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:28 am

A spotting value of 6 will reveal two spaces - it is basically Spot / 2 and count the space the unit is in, so a unit with a Spot = 6 will scout in a 3-hex radius (the first hex is the hex the unit is on, which people tend to forget about that one).

I think this change was made in EFS V1.4 so that if a unit has 0 Spot, then it cannot move to an unspotted hex (and thus cannot reveal the hex it just moved onto).

Spotting values from 1-5 all reveal in a 2-hex radius (again, including the hex the unit is on). I guess they did this so you can at least see the immediate surrounding hexes.

Matt
Matt

Return to “Fixing it ourself”