Decompiler

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Lothgoradin
Space Legionnaire

Decompiler

Postby Lothgoradin » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:41 am

I was wondering if anyone could assist me in finding a C++ decompiler. I have several C++ programs that I wish to take a look at.

The Darkmage is Rising
Jakkan

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Re: Decompiler

Postby Macroz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:28 am

You do realize that decompiling binary code practically never produces anything close to the original program? The mapping from source code to binary just doesn't preserve all information for it to be reversed. Knowing the exact compiler and its compilation process would help.

I'm not an experienced decompiler since it's so futile but what environment and compiler are we talking about?

I take it that you don't want a disassembler.

Deathifier
Noble

Re: Decompiler

Postby Deathifier » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:33 am

Macroz is right, decompilation of binary code doesn't work anywhere near as good as you might think.

This is particularly the case with C++ where you have little, if any, chance at recovering classes and the like. As such I don't think a C++ decompiler actually exists.

A few C decompilers do exist, and their effectiveness varies. None of them will give you a perfect conversion back to C and it'll look nothing at all like the original source.

Disassemblers are your best bet if you're just trying to figure out algorithms, though be prepared for a hard slog unless you are an assembly guru :)
A good disassembly/PE executable (windows) investigation program is PE Explorer.

In short if you want to view how things were done in a specific program, ask the developers very nicely if you can have it and get upset when they tell you licencing/contract agreements prohibit them giving it to you...

- Deathifier

Return to “Fixing it ourself”