Something Odd at Stigmata

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Something Odd at Stigmata

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2000 7:54 am

Have been editing the historical map for a project lately and in the process founds something quite odd on Stigmata I thought I'd pass along to others who may be working on custom maps.<p>On Stigmata, under the factory next to the shield generator there are ruins. If you remove the factory and units there you see the ruins and it appears to be owned by the garrison. This can be a problem in play. If, during play, you use an engineer to raze that factor he is now stuck on top of the ruins. Other land units cannot enter the hex. You can build a new city but the ruins remain. It can apparently be cleared by naval units oddly enough.<p>Since this could, on rare occassion, cause problems and since it's also just strange and useless I thought I'd post it and pass it along. Another little bug to be fixed.

Re: Something Odd at Stigmata

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:08 pm

There's also a pair of planets down at the bottom of the map where alien ruins are sitting on top of 1 hex of ocean. So land units can walk into them, but then get trapped and you can't land anything to pick them back up again either. Hover units in Nova can get out, or you can build a factory and a transport to rescue them, but it is a bit messy.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2000 9:05 am

Yup, and I believe there is one on Aylon also.

Postby Guest » Tue May 02, 2000 5:12 am

Then there're the few rivers where you get the "river mouth" hex several times in a row (An example is on the Greenland-like island on Vera Cruz).<p>You know, while we're looking at quick map fixes like this, removing all the ruins on Stigmata or replacing them with empty hives is a kludge to the bug where the garrison AI lays claim to the ruins instead of capturing them.

Postby Guest » Tue May 02, 2000 6:22 am

That's a possibility, or perhaps at least remove them to small isolated islands where the computer isn't likely to bother with them.<p>The river problem you mentioned, as well as a few other graphics problems, is caused where the map edges "wrap". I believe it can be corrected with a little tinkering in the galaxy editor.

Postby Guest » Mon May 08, 2000 3:46 am

Found another one of those screwy Ruin / Building combinations. This one on Cadiz. It's under the factory next to the Sheild Generator. If you're customizing the original galaxy, you might want to fix this one too.

Postby Guest » Tue May 09, 2000 10:36 pm

The trouble with putting the ruins on islands is that the Stigmata AI will land troops to invande them on large islands, and it will move its ocean fleet into them to capture them if they're adjacent to the sea (such as on 1-hex islands).

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2000 3:43 am

Sean, thanks for pointing those out. By the way, the ruin on Cadiz was owned by Li Halan in my copy. Was it the same in yours?

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2000 10:58 pm

I don't recall if it was or not, but I don't think so. I've been doing a lot of work with the original galaxy lately and so far I haven't found any other such occurances of hidden ruins (buried ruins?). Will post them if I find more though and will keep tabs who owns them. So far as I can recall they have all been rebel owned thus far, but I wouldn't swear by that.

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2000 11:01 pm

Hmm... something else just occurred to me. I wonder what would happen if you razed the building over the factory, then disbanded the engineer (and the resulting cargo), then moved another unit in to explore the ruins. Would they work properly? What happens if you try to raze the ruins with the engineer?

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 am

Any answer found to the last question?

Lothgoradin
Space Legionnaire

Postby Lothgoradin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 am

I happened to have a game running with an engineer handy at the factory on stigmata. I loaded him into a lander, emptied the city and razed the factory. I lifted off and entered the city with another unit. The first unit did not enter. The second unit entered and clreared but did not recieve any bonus from the ruins.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”