a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Teal'k
Infantery

Are there any other ways to play multiplayer besides PBE

Postby Teal'k » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:51 am

Name says it all.
thanks
It would appear this weapon is in-effective.

Looney
Fighter pilot

Re: Are there any other ways to play multiplayer besides PBE

Postby Looney » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:35 am

You can hotseat the game, but your co-players will probably get frustrated
Some people think good graphics make a good game. Good people think good graphics only make a good game better.

Kargard
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Kargard » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:17 pm

Yeah hotseats usually arent too practical unless you have load of time on your hands and dont mind spending few hours at once :)

Also other players shouldnt watch the other's playing so its sort of stand-sit-play-stand-sit weirdness :)

No other way unfortunately,no network no modem no tcp/ip

Looney
Fighter pilot

Postby Looney » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:03 pm

I dont know much about programming, so this is going to sound amatuerish (is that even a word?),but would it be possible for some one talented to put that option in? I am tired of hotseat games, and i dont really know anyone to PBEM with.

Also, I would like to say that Hyperion is awesome!!!!!. I only recently got back into EFS and was disappointed to find that NOVA hadn't progressed in many years ( Does anyone know why?) and the earlier Hyperion version that i had was good, but with the addition of house flagships (pure genius), the new unit additions and the Alien Phage Device (the scourge of hell!!!) I actually have begun to enjoy 1 player games. Matt, sir, i hope you release another version.
I know that right now subversion is all the rage ( and well it should be, Tiberious my hat is off to you as well). I love what you have done with the economic advisors. I can't wait for your "its war" map.
I know you and matt have been collaborating, but have you discussed a "Hyperionized" Subversion? I think Subversion + flagships would be good mix.
Some people think good graphics make a good game. Good people think good graphics only make a good game better.

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:41 pm

No it is not possible to add more multiplayer modes without the source code (technically possible but far too much work, a lot of work even with the source).

And for PBEM games you just need to follow the Opponents wanted forum.

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:37 pm

NBR: See my other reply in the Mastiff-threat, the creators of the NOVA patch moved on from EFS (except me abit) and so it is still final.

Ryan even got lost in one of the best PBEM games i ever played, Trials and Tribulations.

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:54 am

The best we could probably do for 'internet' multiplayer connectivity would be to create a separate application that players connect to each other through, then run EFS and when player 1 finishes their turn it automatically sends it off to player 2 and so on.

Basically it eliminates the e-mailing aspect of things, however unless you were playing with a bunch of friends I doubt you'd get everyone on together often enough to make full use of it.

Of course you can do almost the same thing right now without the extra app - just get everyone into a chat channel.

Anything other than that is not feasible, however you are welcome to try and kick-start the EFS clone project within which anything is possible :)

- Deathifier

Looney
Fighter pilot

Postby Looney » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:34 pm

Good idea Deathifier! But i think your right that it would be hard to get everybody together for a long enough time. By the Bio's of regular posters, it would seem that EFS fans are scattered all over the world, from Australia to Iraq! I guess any programming genius would be better put to use on the clone.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”