trouble with win 2k

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

trouble with win 2k

Postby Revicul » Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:43 am

Recently I just installed win2k and I am having problems installing the game. I cant do the autorun becuase it stops when it tries to install the directx. I cant to _issetup becuase for some reason it needs the drivers on the cs and wont detect the newer drivers(not sure about that last part). You some reply telling me how I should go about this.<P>Dan

Deathifier
Noble

Re: trouble with win 2k

Postby Deathifier » Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:02 am

I'm running Win2k pro with SP1 and I never had any problems installing it.<P>Could you post the specific error message it gives you?<P>- Deathifier

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Revicul » Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:23 am

when i do a autorun I get this error:<P>DirextX installation was not succesful.<P>If i try to do a _issetup which installs the game and not directx i get this error:<P>Game not installed, please run setup.<P>When i try to run setup i get this:<P>DirextX installation was not succesful.<P>Dan

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:50 am

Look quite a ways back in this topic about the problem.<P>Basically, there is a registry setting that you need to add that will allow it to work.<P>Let me get the info for you...<P>Okay, found it - search your registry for progra~1\efs if you installed EFS in \Program Files\efs. Once you find this area, add a key called "CDROM" of type REG_SZ and set it to the drive letter of your CD-ROM (i.e. D:\).<P>You'll then be good to go.<P>Good luck!<P>Matt
Matt

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Revicul » Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:49 am

Ok Im going to need a bit more help then that please. When i try to create a new key it always makes a folder under where I want to put the key. Also i can not rename the name of the key. Could you please tell me how to do these things. The only thing I ever used was to change cd-key already in the registry.<P>Dan

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:34 am

Oh yeah I forgot about that, when I first found the problem I wrote a little note about it, obviously that only works if I go check the note :)<P>Here's the contents of my note file:<BR>"Find the registry key:<BR>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/HDI/Emperor of the Fading Suns/1.0<P>and create a new String value called CDROM with data value "<CDDRIVE>" where <CDDRIVE> is the drive you installed it from (or want it to play music from).<BR>E.g: "E:\" "<P>More direct instructions:<BR>Go to that registry location, on the right hand window right click and under the 'new' option pick "String Value" and then type in:<P>CDROM<P>Once thats done double click on the CDROM value you just made and enter the letter of your CD drive in quotes, so if it's drive D enter:<P>"D:\"<P>You could probably point it anywhere, the game is likely to just check for its existance, get the value and see if there is a CD with audio tracks in that drive.<P>After that it should work, if you have troubles I can export the registry key for EFS and put it on the web.<P>And BTW - The fault of this is the actual game installer, not the DirectX installer, I have no idea why it doesn't create the key under Win2k.<P>Cya,<BR>Deathifier

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Revicul » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:50 pm

Ok it finally working. Thank you all for helping me out.<P>Dan

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:10 pm

HELP!!!!!!!!

I'm inept at this xp thing.

I got a new com today and can't find where this registry thing is, can u use lamen's terms? thx

<small>[ 13.08.2004, 23:07: Message edited by: map101ca ]</small>

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:07 pm

Please help!!?

I got the game, patch, and the version i'm currently playing installed, but can't get it to start playing.

I've tried changing the compatibilty tabs to win 98, and now it tries to start then am told run setup.

PLEASE!!! HELP!!!

<small>[ 14.08.2004, 00:49: Message edited by: map101ca ]</small>

tkobo
Fighter pilot

Postby tkobo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:38 am

Go to start.Than run. Type regedit in the run space( in the text bar by the word open).Hit OK.

Than follow directions already stated above.

map101ca
Space Legionnaire

Postby map101ca » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:05 am

THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!

PssMercury
Infantery

Postby PssMercury » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Ok i have done all of the above and i got it past all the problums. but now i have a new one. When i run the game all i get is a black screan and the game is no longer responding forcing me to close it. What have i done wrong??? Any ideas??
I have the EFSHYP.exe addon but i have not patched the game so i am running EFS version 1.0
I am currently running XP Pro SP2
CPU Pentium M 1.6Ghz
Ram 1 gig
Dell Laptop
Either post here or send me an e-mail on your ideas.
Thank You

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Got EFS running on XP :) . Adding the CDROM value into the registry entry and switching of videos (in EFS.INI) was the key for success. The Videos are giving this mysterios arror msgs, memory valid access.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”