Use Wesnoth as Engine?

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

vinnie
Infantery

Re: Use Wesnoth as Engine?

Postby vinnie » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:50 pm

Anybody else know a more basic engine instead of a gamemaker? A gamemaker sounds so resrictive. I'm planning to make a strategy gui for our game and want to do it in vb. Because I need to parse xml and pop up windows with unit info etc. No problem to do that in vb. Problem is how to do a good performing large clickable map (sqare tiles). I think gamemakers have a new learning curve and maybe no xml parsing facilities.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.. will lookinto wesnoth looks nice!
Join the fantasy strategy pbem at www.turn2turn.com

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:25 pm

The problem with no stack limits, as has been noted before, is that 100 cannon fodders will beat 20 elite armored units. It won't work.

Unless there is a system for "tactics" in a battle, that is, one in which masses of untrained, undisciplined, unformed, poorly armed men will be smashed by smaller units of elite, mobile, trained, experienced, disciplined units fighting in formation. So then flanking and maneuvering will indeed be necessary. or would you set the fodder to 1/1 and the elites to 1000/1000?

And it also has been noted that at the end of the Wars Stigmata has 7 legions of 5 regiments on it. At the start of EFS, each house has 5 powered armor "legions" on BS. These units can be no larger than a regiment. Believe me, because I've tried, using EFS at least: modeling unit scale from a team up to a battalion or regiment is hard enough.
Grimly

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:34 pm

The problem with no stack limits, as has been noted before, is that 100 cannon fodders will beat 20 elite armored units. It won't work.
Well, that depends mostly on what the combat system is like. I've never fancied the combat system of Civs/EFS, so that would be good to change anyway.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”