EFS on WinXP

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

dradams
Infantery

EFS on WinXP

Postby dradams » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:38 pm

Does anyone know how to install EFS on Windows XP? When I try it comes up with a message that says DirectX did not install or something.

Please help.

Derrick

Sukayo
Noble

Re: EFS on WinXP

Postby Sukayo » Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:08 pm

It looks like win2000, use search to find the related topic. Some adjusting to the registery is necessairy and is described there.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:21 am

In Win2000 my works perfectly. In WinXP I've never tested it. But in my Win2K almost all other games can't work. I don't know why. Only I can suggest you to reinstall DirectX (download it from the Microsoft site ). EFS doesn't need any hardware so this game should work in any system. You may have only problems with DirectX and EFS registry. So try it! ;)
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:41 am

See this post in order to fix the broken installer problem.

CY387:
I've been running Win2k for a while and almost every windows-based game I own runs quite happily on it. Some older ones don't install (they complain about OS versions, DX versions and so on due to poor checking code). DOS games don't run of course (well they run and the OS kills them immediately :D ) which is really the only downside to anything based on the NT kernal.
If you list some specific games I might be able to help, and if it's a widespread problem with the game then a search will usually turn up msg board posts regarding it.

- Deathifier

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:59 am

Thanks, but you understood me wrong. I'm quite expirienced in Win9X/2k. I have correctly installed DirectX 8.0a. I think you can't help me, because the problem I have is with hardware. And it is because my video drivers. Any game that uses hardware can't run. DirectX Diag tells me that I have a file (as I know the main video driver file for NT) not tested in Microsoft labs, and all hardware testing functions in Diag is disabled. I have a GeForce2 64Mb but all works like I don't have any hardware options. The problem is: I realy don't know where I can get correct drivers for my card. I looked for some time for them but they are all the same.
If you know how to help me I'll be very thankfull. :)

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:17 am

Well for drivers either the the manufacturer of your board will have some (the majority of manufacturers fall so far behind in updates they are not much use tho) or otherwise the reference drivers from NVidia should work.

The only other thing I can think of is if you are using an AMD chip on a VIA board you need 4-1 in drivers otherwise these sorts of things happen.

Other than that and without being able to inspect the machine directly I can't help much more :)

- Deathifier

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:45 pm

Thanks! I have P4 1,5GHz on Intel i850 chipset with 256 RIMM SDRAM. In theory my video card must work perfectly.

I don't know why but I've forgotten to check NVidia site. :)

MarioFanaticXV
Infantery

Postby MarioFanaticXV » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Deathifier wrote:See this post in order to fix the broken installer problem.

CY387:
I've been running Win2k for a while and almost every windows-based game I own runs quite happily on it. Some older ones don't install (they complain about OS versions, DX versions and so on due to poor checking code). DOS games don't run of course (well they run and the OS kills them immediately :D ) which is really the only downside to anything based on the NT kernal.
If you list some specific games I might be able to help, and if it's a widespread problem with the game then a search will usually turn up msg board posts regarding it.

- Deathifier

What post? It links to a string of software errors, none of which look like they're talking about Emperor of the Fading Suns.

Just bought this game, and I'm looking to install it, but after installing the game, it says it's not installed...

Azathoth
Infantery

Postby Azathoth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 am

Just bought this game, and I'm looking to install it, but after installing the game, it says it's not installed...

You *bought* EFS in 2011? You can get it online free from several shareware sites. I'm pretty sure that it's abandon-ware at this point.

Anyway - I run it on XP and it's fine.

If the version you bought is giving you trouble, try downloading it from Underdogs or a similar site and install that version - it may work better since my guess is that whoever SOLD you a copy of EFS at this point in time is probably unscrupulous enough to have sold copy that was somehow non-functional.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”