Making a new Mod

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Makinus2
Infantery

Making a new Mod

Postby Makinus2 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:10 pm

I´m making a new mod for EFS and i´m having some doubts that maybe someone here can solve for me:

1. If i create 4 different types of Militia, all in the 84 slot, but that are built in different cities, and make other unit needing the 84 unit as an input unit, it will accept any of the 4 militia units or only the first one?

2. Does the AI knows how to manage input units in unit production?

3. Does the AI sometimes produce units even if it doesn´t have all the resources needed? When this occurs?

4. If i gave some normal cities to the Vau, would they produce units (even human ones)? And would the Vau use resources or produce like the Symbiots?

5. The League and the Church uses resources when producing units? They produce units from the beggining or only after someone is at war with them?

thanks

Rich Trup
Fighter pilot

Postby Rich Trup » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:31 pm

1. I don't know.

2. The AI doesn't need an input unit to build a unit which would require one for a human player.

3. As far as I know, the AI doesn't need resources to produce units. I don't know if there are any constraints at all on what the AI can produce. What I know for certain is that the AI cannot possibly have all the chemicals required to produce all the fortifications it builds in the latest Hyperion patch.

4. I know Matt Caspermeyer was able to get the Vau to produce units in Hyperion, you could try doing some research in the Hyperion forums to see if he mentions how he did it.

5. Again, I don't believe the AI requires resources in order to build. I do think that the League and Church will only build units after they are at war. I believe the League does need to have resources available if you want them to restock Agoras.

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 am

(1) Only the first one.

(2) Depends on which AI. The Houses and Ministries will ignore input units, while the Church and League will never produce the output unit.

(3) When the AI runs out of resources, it buys them. At that point, it becomes a cash matter. I don't know whether the cash amounts you see in the House Diplomacy window mean anything, but the Houses certainly use their cash down to zero at least, if they can.

(4) I don't believe the Vau produce anything ever. I've never gotten them to produce any kind of unit. I think that function was turned off, so they are like the rebels.

(5) The Church definitely builds without war, and I'm pretty sure the League does too, despite reports to the contrary. I don't think either uses resources. Neither will produce a unit that requires any resources at all, UNLESS you order it to do so (by the editing the EXE file).
Grimly

Makinus3
Infantery

Postby Makinus3 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:41 pm

ok, i´m still trying to build a new mod, specifically a Mechcommander one...

I already changed the image files so i have all the mechcommander 1 game mechs inside EFS (changed the bin file for the icons and the flc files for the images).

I changed all the symbiont units to Clan Mechs (7 mechs) and changed 10 house units to Inner Sphere mechs, but i´m still working how the AI will produce units...

If i make 2 different versions of the mechs, but one whitout resources needed and other with resources and input unit needed, wich one the AI will build (the Houses, Church and League?)

And if i make the no-resource unit take a longer time to build, would the AI still choose it instead of the one with input units and resources?

The order in the unit.dat file of the 2 units would make any difference to the AI? Would it choose to build the first one always?

My idea is to have the AI building the no-resource unit, but taking a long time to do so, while the player can build the other unit with a shorter time, but needing resources and maybe a input unit to do so.

Clan mechs would be exclusive to the symbiots, and the player (and AI) would only have access to clan mechs captured in battle.

The church would be Comstar, and i´m thinking of using the Ministers as Mercenary Companies... i still don´t know what i´ll convert the League and the Vau too (any ideas?)

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:36 am

If i make 2 different versions of the mechs, but one whitout resources needed and other with resources and input unit needed, wich one the AI will build (the Houses, Church and League?)

And if i make the no-resource unit take a longer time to build, would the AI still choose it instead of the one with input units and resources?

The order in the unit.dat file of the 2 units would make any difference to the AI? Would it choose to build the first one always?

My idea is to have the AI building the no-resource unit, but taking a long time to do so, while the player can build the other unit with a shorter time, but needing resources and maybe a input unit to do so.

First, the AI doesn't look at how long any unit takes to build. So you can fool it all you want. I've used this to allow the Houses to be a little more of a threat than they might otherwise be, by requiring a human to have an input unit the AI ignores, and making the output $ expensive, since the AI doesn't care about its bank balance. So only the AI (or a very rich player) can use this "cheat" without risking bankruptcy.

Second, the order of appearance appears irrelevant to the AI, but in practice it does seem to produce lower identical versions (i.e., 51-0 vs 51-5) more often.

Third, the answer to your main question depends on the AI in question. See my previous post. The House AI wants to build the nastiest unit it can physically build. Period. The Church and League, however, won't build any unit that uses resources or needs a technology.[/quote]
Grimly

ssfsx17
Tank commander

Postby ssfsx17 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:18 am

I would suggest:

The Imperial Offices -> The Second Star League, and becoming Emperor would be like becoming the permanent ruling blood line

League -> Comstar, because Comstar controls the HPG networks, similar to the League's all-pervasive nature. When they declare the Third Republic, it would be the Word of Blake declaring the Jihad.

Church -> no real equivalent in BattleTech, unfortunately. The Word of Blake is similar in the depth of their convictions, but they never actually tried to hold back technology in any way. I suppose if you set the church to never proscribe anything then you could make them into the WOB.

Vau -> Niops, because they always want to know everything, but they have little visible impact on the rest of the galaxy
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name

Makinus2
Infantery

Battletech mod

Postby Makinus2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

I´m a little stuck in my battletech mod, mainly because of lack of time, so i wish to share the files i already altered so if anyone wants to tinker with it they would save time...

Where do i put the files? They are small but i didn´t see any option to attach them in this forum...

What i did up to now:
- Added .flc files with mech pictures.
- Hex-edited Efsunit.bin to add the appropriate mech icons.
- Edited Unit.dat to substitute the unit names with the new mech units.
- 17 mechs added: 7 Clan and 10 IS (Clan mechs substitute Symbionte units)

To do:
- Define mech costs/combat specs.
- Define wich buildings produce mechs.
- Edit the map to include mech units.
- Aerospace? Dropship mechanics?

So, if anyone is interested i could send the files i already edited...

Edit: spelling

Return to “Fixing it ourself”