Some interesting results after heavy tweaking

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

Kosh2
Noble

Re: Some interesting results after heavy tweaking

Postby Kosh2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks Eighball Maniac. It's great to see that almost 9 years after you continue tweaking (and 2 years since last post).
Which EXE have you used? The Hyperion one? or the Phoenix?

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I still use the Hyperion one since it has all the EFS features, which is more helpful for testing gameplay. Later on I'll run a game in Phoenix to see how that fares.

As for testing, I've found that hover Engineers are a bad idea for the AI. They build both roads and structures over water, and the player cannot use those same roads. Dealing with their water structures requires hovercraft, which isn't great. It was worth a try, though.

I had indeed not completed planet overhauls. Imperial Eye presence is missing from al-Malik and Li Halan homeworlds, the starting number of units and cities is inconsistent between Houses, and some areas are missing units. I'm noting down the problem areas for fixing as I playtest.

The Symbiots were much too powerful, easily wiping out Stigmata by 4975 or so. Made a few changes to their stats, but won't know how effective it is until next game.

I also noticed that even the Rebels are building new units, including starships. Not in massive quantities as far as I can tell, but some. They may be building far more on Criticorum and anywhere else they have lots of cities.

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks again Eighball Maniac.
It's reasonable using the Hyperion EXE first.
Interesting to see rebels building units!
I hope you can tune down symbiots a bit.

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 am

Just a quick progress report:

Tweaking unit move values seems to have increased the AI's aggression. Stacks mixing vehicles and infantry move around more effectively than before, attacking in circumstances I'm not used to seeing. Promising!

Been spending a lot of time filling out and tweaking the unfinished planets to have all the cities, units, and terrain they should have. Only a few planets have been remade from scratch so far (Delphi, Istakhr, and Tethys), but I'm happy with how they've turned out. More will follow as I get to them. Planets that did not require rebuilding from scratch have had a few changes as well, to better reflect how they should look according to Fading Suns lore or to improve gameplay.

Symbot unit stats and the Stigmata situation have both been changed, but I don't know how effective the changes are yet. A proper test game lasting through at least a few Regent elections will tell me more.

madiger
Infantery

Postby madiger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi EB, thanks for keeping up with your modding. I just got back into the game and saw your thread today. I DL'd the files you linked to in your first post, I can't wait to try them out. Been playing Hyperion lately, but the game crashes before I can research all the techs. Yaay.

Return to “Fixing it ourself”