EFS Full won't install on Win2k

a place to discuss it

Moderators: Deathifier, Sukayo

EFS Full won't install on Win2k

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:31 am

I've been playing around with the EFS demo version on a Windows 2000 Server box. The game runs just fine. I finally found my old CDROM and decided to install it. Now EFS won't install because the directX installation fails. I can run _ISSETUP.ext from the CDROM, which installs the game. The problem is, when I try to run efs.exe, I get a "Game not installed" error, so I'm still sunk. Any suggestions out there?<p>Tony

Re: EFS Full won't install on Win2k

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2000 6:18 am

Hey, I just asked this question!! <br>The answer to this is:<br>"I had a similar problem with W2K, here's the solution that worked for me:<br>1. The AUTORUN will fail, saying DIRECTX not installed.<br>2. Instead of using the AUTORUN feature, run _ISSETUP.EXE. This installs the game normally, but the Registry Settings are apparently not set correctly.<br>3. Run REGEDIT and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | HDI | Emperor of the Fading Suns | 1.0. The best way to get here might be to simply search on your EFS installation directory (i.e. PROGRA~1\EFS) if you<br>don't want to mouse through the tree.<br>4. Add a new string named 'CDROM' and then set the value to your CD-ROM Drive (i.e. D:\).<br>5. Run it like normal. Of course, the intro video doesn't work (didn't in NT4.0 either), but the game runs fine. The Intro should hopefully work for you no problem in Windows ME as it runs fine in Windows 95/98."

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:54 am

Thanks! I knew there had to be a fix. Luckily I found an old hard drive with Win 98 and EFS already installed so I just dropped that in the box. :)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2000 4:32 am

Thanks for the tip. Now I don't have to reboot into win98.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:54 pm

okay, i'm trying to get this game working on a nt4.0 w/sp 6 machine at work. i've got it installed, all the registry is setup and the game begins to run. complains about you need to reset to 256k colors blah blah and then either goes to a black screen or a white to black screen that changes sizes. any ideas on what if anything I can do? or does anyone have any idea? thanks in advance

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2000 12:14 am

Madcoi:<br>I got long time ago the same trouble with a Matrox Millenium, i never got it running. So i believe the graphic card is the problem. At a mystique, different Ati cards and a lot of others i did not found this problem, only my office PC with the old Millenium inside will not let me play EFS. Hope this helps a bit.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:22 am

Madcoi:<p>About the only other thing I can think of besides what Klaus mentioned is to disable the starting video.<p>I think you disable it by setting the Video= option to 0 in EFS.INI.<p>If that doesn't work then I can't think of anything else that might help.<p>Good luck!<p>Matt

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2000 10:22 pm

danke, i'll try that and maybe disabling my video card and try another... thanks

paoth
Infantery

Postby paoth » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:23 am

Hello,
I need help with the regedit step. I get to the 1.0 directory

I create a new string called CDROM

How do I set it to F:\ ?

Do I click on Modify, or modify binary data?

Do I put this in the 1.0 directory?

Does it matter if it's a dvd player and not a cd player?

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:32 am

What i know you must use "modify".

Return to “Fixing it ourself”