New Member Here

About Nova, strategies and tactics

Moderator: Sukayo

Budo
Infantery

New Member Here

Postby Budo » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:11 pm

Hello All.

This is my first post, and I promise I'll make my others shoerter in the future.

I am so happy to find a forum for EoFS. I have a bunch of opinions and questions about this game. I know most of these will seem elementary to most of you, so please be patient with my newbieness.

I loved and hated EoFS at the same time. I thought the gothic sci-fi Peudo-Dune meets Civilization was a perfect idea...until I played it. The game screams of potential, as well as wasted potential. It was not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but it is just too darn long to play...the longest non RPG ever in fact. I played it nonstop for a week once and I barely scratched the surface of exploring a second planet. Even worse, there were simply too many resources to deal with. I understand the need for a detaied economy, but the gameplay resulted in just too much resource balancing. Finally, although the AI was not aggressive, it was far more productive, no matter how efficient I tried to be.

With that said, I loved the overall gameplay, the music, the idea of a generally known map, and especially the atmosphere. If this game had the gameplay similar to Master of Orion 2, Alpha Centauri, even Medieval: Total War, it would still be on my computer today, and would be my all-time favorite game.

Recently, I was moving, and in one box of computer games, there it was. Mocking me for quitting. Then I remembered hearing recently about patches or mods that were supposed to improve the game.

So without further adieu (Did I spell that right?), here are my questions:

1. What is this NOVA patch for?
2. What about this HYPERION patch?
3. Are there any other patches to improve gampleplay?
4. Any good Mods out there?
5. Are there any patches that have been added that address any of the problems I had with this game?
6. Any rumors of an EoFS 2?

By the way, as much as I appreciate this forum, there should be a separate area for clueless noobs like me to make the forum more accessible.

Thanks all in advance!

Kosh2
Noble

Re: New Member Here

Postby Kosh2 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:58 am

Welcome to this forum
The last official patch was 1.4.0 in 1999

The others are un-official fan-made mods, that impove the game with some modifications: better unit balance (for instance artillery is much too powerful in vanilla EFS), more difficult against IA, better Church & League army, less money in the begining

There are are 4 mods: 2 currently maintained (Hyperion & Subversion)and too unmantained (Nova & Reality)

I suggest you to download them ans so you can judge. I prefer Subverson, buts is a matter of opinion

Nova

Hyperion

Subversion

Reality

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:57 pm

Welcome Budo,
Kosh already covered pretty much everything - the only official patch is 1.4, which did fix a number of bugs you may have had if you never patched it (all CD's were version 1 I believe).

As for a sequel we do know that Holistic has the rights to do one, we also don't think that'll happen anytime in the near future.
The current Fading Suns related game they are working on is Noble Armada, though its currently on hold for an unknown reason.

You can check it out here:
http://www.noblearmada.com

Have fun!
- Deathifier

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 pm

related to your new ppl question:

Under the EFS links you can find the sites loaded up with informations about the game, the mods/patches and often also detail analyses of some tactics to do better in gameplay. So if you download the patches, look around on the sites - lot of intro docu is available.

Return to “NOVA - how to play a better game”