Fire mod's

About Nova, strategies and tactics

Moderator: Sukayo

Kargard
Assault Legionnaire

Fire mod's

Postby Kargard » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:39 pm

I was lately toying with the armor/agility/accuracy/firepower differencial's among unit's.
Iam running into some problem's.For instance,i can give tank's enough direct accuracy to hit other tank's,but not infantry.Since the direct attack is too powerful,if it could hit infantry,they'd get wiped out too fast.
But that bring's problem's.If i give infantry anti-tank direct attack's,as i should to heavier AT infantry,it will be too powerful as the tank's can't hit back before reaching close phase.
And more problem's with mixing in fixed ATG unit's - they should be hittable by tank's,but by infantry also,and at the same time not have too much armor.That's pretty tough nut to mix.
Few month's back i heard it's possible to make it that direct attack hit's tank's and close infantry for example.Is that really true,or is it using accuracy differences?If it's possible,where ill find the value please?(maybe it's on nova webpage,ill check there too)

Grimly
Assasin

Re: Fire mod's

Postby Grimly » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:22 pm

I was lately toying with the armor/agility/accuracy/firepower differencial's among unit's.
Iam running into some problem's.For instance,i can give tank's enough direct accuracy to hit other tank's,but not infantry.Since the direct attack is too powerful,if it could hit infantry,they'd get wiped out too fast.
But that bring's problem's.If i give infantry anti-tank direct attack's,as i should to heavier AT infantry,it will be too powerful as the tank's can't hit back before reaching close phase.
And more problem's with mixing in fixed ATG unit's - they should be hittable by tank's,but by infantry also,and at the same time not have too much armor.That's pretty tough nut to mix.
Few month's back i heard it's possible to make it that direct attack hit's tank's and close infantry for example.Is that really true,or is it using accuracy differences?If it's possible,where ill find the value please?(maybe it's on nova webpage,ill check there too)
Here are some thoughts:

1) Double the agility of all infantry units, and the accuracy of all close attacks you want to hit them, probably other infantry but not so much the tanks. Infantry can hit the dirt, tanks and guns can't. Some tanks will be more mobile than others and thus more agile because they can pull back to a reverse slope/hull-down position, but most will not be so agile.

2) Make infantry subject to direct attacks. DO NOT increase the accuracy of direct attacks. These will not hit infantry so much, but HE tanks shells do kill infantry. You can make a distinction between infantry tanks/assault guns, which fire big HE shells but also AP shells, and tanks intended to go in close and slaughter infantry with machine guns, flames, and muliple small HE guns (Grin Reapers) or gas/spores: the former will have low close attacks but can use both direct and close on infy, whereas the latter has a low direct attack but can use a high close attack on infy.

3) Make guns (wheeled) subject to close attacks. The best (only) way to take an emplaced gun is by close assault.

4) Adjust some of your higher values. Make sure your direct attacks don't have too high an accuracy---individual tanks can be popped in an instant, but tank units should have a high survivability, especially against same-level tech---and make sure your tank agilities aren't too high. Otherwise, your hovertanks will be infantry-slaughtering machines by virtue of their high acc/damage direct attacks, let alone their close attacks.
Grimly

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:17 am

Thoughts on Ranks

IMHO, I don't think original EFS uses rank very well or creatively, or realistically. Ideally, light units with high agility added to a stack of heavy, low agility units would bring up the agility of the whole. That's the point of outriders. They screen the heavies by putting distance between them and light enemy units. The heavies are protected and can run at top speed. They spot the units the heavies can't spot. They allow the heavies to engage or disengage. The heavies would otherwise be detected, hunted down, and destroyed (unless they have air support).

But that's not how EFS works. :(

EFS does not have flanks, only ranks. Every unit is on its own, except to the extent that other units block them or kill attackers before they get too far. That's why true combined operations are not really possible. Units out in front may be cannon fodder, or they may be more than cannon fodder. Here are the basic classes of units in order of rising rank, as I see them (Note that cavalry = tanks):

Strike or defense elements: Trackers, Rangers, fortifications, etc. High agility, low to high attack, high or low camo, low to high armor. Close attack. High or moderate value.

Cannon fodder: Low to medium agility, low attack, fairly low armor. Must be able to keep up with higher units, however. So as the typical movement rises with tech from, say, 4 to 8 to 12 to 16, the cannon fodder movement must rise with it. No value except as tech rises. Replaced by more effective units as tech rises.

Light cavalry: High agility, low attack, low armor. Direct and close attack. Very high move. Moderate value.

Skirmishers: Very high agility, low attack, low armor. Close attack. Small value.

Medium cavalry: Medium agility, medium attack, medium armor, medium camo. Direct and close attack. High move. High value.

Medium infantry: High agility, medium attack, medium armor, medium camo. Close attack. Moderate value.

Heavy cavalry: Low agility, high attack, high armor, low camo. Direct and close attack. Moderate move. Very high value.

Heavy infantry: Medium agility, high attack, high armor, low camo. Direct and close attack. High value.

Artillery, guns, command, and support: etc. Low agility or armor, low close or direct attacks, or no combat capabilities at all. Moderate to very high value.

Each layer protects the next. Even cannon fodder need not be lost altogether in a battle. This is the theory.
Grimly

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:04 am

You may have found that Target.Dat detemines what can be hit in which firing round.

0 means a certain movement type cannot be hit.
1 means it can be hit.

Just change the infantry (foot) to 1 for direct fire and they can be hit. Nova has all armor and infantry able to to hit each other for example. You can see how thier target.dat is setup.

- Shocker.
Long Live EFS!

Return to “NOVA - how to play a better game”