Strategy Guide

About Nova, strategies and tactics

Moderator: Sukayo

cb100
Infantery

Strategy Guide

Postby cb100 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi all,

it has been a long time since I've - tried to - play Emperor of The Fading Suns.
The game was just too difficult for me. I never had a change against the other houses, they always got ahead of me in terms of economical and military strength.

I would like to retry it now once again, doing everything the right way from the beginning.
I've installed the NOVA mod, which seems to fix several issues, but I do not know what to do to have a good start in the game.

I would need some hints of choosing the right house, building the right things (buildings and units), diplomacy and so on...

I was not able to find much information via google, obviously due to the fact that this game is so old.

Perhaps anyone here can help me?

Thanks

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Re: Strategy Guide

Postby Eightball Maniac » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:06 am

I'm no expert, but there don't seem to be too many people playing Nova anymore. Thus, I'll try and help you out. Also, I am assuming you are playing agaisnt the AI.

In Nova, it is rather difficult in the beginning since the Firebird income is so limited. You'll need to raise taxes (though not so much as to make them rebel), maximize the tithe skim and reduce unit pay (use this as a last resort, though), or just disband several units.

Also, building lots of structures on a planet where you control the palace increases your tax income. Just watch your food income, as each structure requires a certain amount of food (I think) each turn.

Money aside, the main resource you need to heavily micromanage is food. The other resources don't matter anywhere near as much, although lack of them hinders the construction of new units and such. But food is always required, and is required by pretty much everything (not necessarily to build, but to maintain).
I haven't tried all the houses, but food income at the beginning of the game is usually not enough to sustain what you start with (though there is enough of a stockpile to keep them fed for a while). Scout out prime areas for new farms and capture any rebel farms you can.

Food aside, metal is the second most important resource in the early game. Find good locations for mines and have an engineer build them (but concentrate on having a positive food income first) whenever you find a good spot. These are usually on flat land near mountains and oceans.

Once food and metal is taken care of, move on to energy. This is required for all of the resources that you have to make yourself.

As for the other resources, it depends on which units you tend to build. See what the various units require to build and go from there. In the early game I tend to produce mostly Infantry (which you have at the start) and Heavy Infantry (after I have researched them). Infantry require food and metal, while Heavy Infantry require the same amount of food and metal as well as some chemicals and electronics.

As you are able to build more types of units, include whichever you like.

With diplomacy, it doesn't really matter. Outside of some space engagements you don't have too much to worry about when it comes to war with someone else. Of course, it all depends on which galaxy you may be running. In the default EFS galaxy you have no real threats on your home planet besides some rebels scattered around. It is when you have forces on other planets, particularly the home planets of other House factions, that you have to beware of war.

War aside, diplomacy can gain you more tech or money, if the AI agrees. You can also try to get other factions to vote for you, or get them to promise you a particular ministry if they are elected. With the Stigmata garrison in your control, you get a boost of resources and units. The Imperial Eye and Imperial Fleet don't really give you much in the way of resources in the default EFS galaxy, and the Eye is rather useless. But the Imperial Fleet gives you a nice bit of firepower you can use on whomever or whatever you like. Until the ships are destroyed, anyway.

Not sure what else you're unsure about. Anything else specific?

In summary:

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Food and Firebirds (money) are the most important resources.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Metal is also important.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Other resources depend on what you want to build.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What units to build depends on what you've researched and what you're facing.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Diplomacy can get you new technology (if they have something you don't), money, or votes/a ministry.</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
All that aside, it all depends on which galaxy you are playing in. The default EFS galaxy differs quite a bit from most galaxies. Other galaxies are usually more difficult, but can give you better resource production in the early game.

Of course, with Nova it is rather difficult to find non-Hyperion galaxies (they aren't compatible, as far as I know) to use with Nova.

Finding a different galaxy to play against the AI with is even more difficult (if you want them to actually do things).

I believe Fadingsun.com was the best place to get galaxies, but that site is unfortunately dead, as are most site links I've checked here in the forums. I've been looking for other sources, but haven't found any yet.

cb100
Infantery

Postby cb100 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks for the help.
But now I'm having trouble with starting the game:

The instruction at 0047ed04 referenced memory at 0120c1a2
The memory could not be written.

Well, who knows when I'll be able to play that game ;-)

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:34 pm

I don't recall having any crashes of that sort. What sort of setup are you using to play EFS with, computer-wise?

Gregory
Infantery

Postby Gregory » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:38 pm

In what way is the best way to colonize new planets. I find that after I build up my home planet the AI is so far ahead militarily that weakening my HOME for new conquests is detrimental.

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:44 pm

Basically like in every turn based game, you need to use the 1st turns effectively. Depending on the mods you are playing, it is a must to expand to other planets asap. A Mobile Task force should secure the new settlements there and explore for best places, to maximize production in any way you need. Playing with universal warehouse off gives you also the management of trasnporting the overproduction to a place where it is needed.

A good measurement for your power is the number of new settlers you can build every turn in the 1st 40 turns.

<small>[ 06.09.2006, 15:06: Message edited by: Sukayo ]</small>

Ar - Adunakhor
Infantery

Postby Ar - Adunakhor » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi folks! I've bumped into the game accidentally but I find it really intresting. Strange I've never heard anything about EFS before...

So my trivial beginner questions, I hope this is the right place to post them. :D Thanks in advance!

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:27 am

Scepters - representing Votes you have for elections, possible other functions in mods/patches.
Clergy - originally the developpers were aiming for enabling the collection of credits for the church only while a Clergy is present in the church. This was never needed, so today in some mods/patches they are fighting units possible with upgrades.

A basic manual (original shipped w/ the game, scanned, but not designed new) you get where the game is for download. Tips for playing are at the NOVA site.

Ar - Adunakhor
Infantery

Postby Ar - Adunakhor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm

So today, five years later, I find my way back to EFS. This probably comes a bit too late, but I thank you for the reply.

I really could not get very deep into the game back then, mostly due to lack of time but also because I felt a bit lost in the game, not knowing what my strategy should look like or even what my immediate priorities are supposed to be.

Nevertheless, the general feel of EFS, the bits of lore that I could gather, the awesome music, and even the graphics left one very appealing impression that never got lost over the time and EFS has never left my hard drive ever since.

Only recently I decided to give it another go, and for the past week I have been passionately reading the manual, lurking in these forums (Hyperion forums seem to be down), and fantasizing about political intrigues and galactic turmoils.

I have come to the conclusion to start directly playing it with Nova, and hope this is the right choice ;-)

After so many years, I want to thank you guys for keeping this forum and the myth of Emperor of the Fading Suns alive.

Cheers,
Ar

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:04 pm

give it a try, somebody is lurking around here quite often ;).

Blasco
Infantery

Postby Blasco » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 pm

someone is playing nova again, loving it. too poor i have a download without music. :roll:
This game rocks, so easy to program

Alien51
Infantery

Postby Alien51 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 am

Return to “NOVA - how to play a better game”