Good Press for us.

About Nova, strategies and tactics

Moderator: Sukayo

mikegamer
Tank commander

Good Press for us.

Postby mikegamer » Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:32 pm

We got a review of the Nova site as an extended play mention in the magazine "Computer Games." They specifically mentioned the Nova site and our mods to the game. Hopefully this will recruit new players to our site.<P>It was in issue 132 November 2001<P>Also we might approach Holistic again about source code or another update to the game with this publicity in hand.

Russell
Noble

Re: Good Press for us.

Postby Russell » Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:28 am

Wow, that's awesome. I'd like to see this article, do you have the magazine? If you do, do you have a scanner? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see this.

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:25 am

Wow neat, it'd be great if someone who gets the magazine could scan the article and put it on the nova site (probably need get permission though).<P>Here in Australia I usually don't see any November overseas magazines until December, I'll take a look though.<P>BTW Mike: You said was, but november is next month so I take it you meant "will be"?

mikegamer
Tank commander

Postby mikegamer » Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:30 am

It was a short part of a full page article and as soon as I get it back from my neighbor I will type it in here as an additional post.<P>No, the November issue is already out, at least for the subscription version.

Aloid
Fighter pilot

Postby Aloid » Mon Oct 15, 2001 6:35 am

Wow, I thought this game was dead and gone...<BR>I spent a lot of time trying to play EFS when it first came out, but left with a bad taste in my mouth... Some how, though, I just could not throw the disk away...<P>So, are the changes going to make single player EFS worth trying again? <P>As for the article, I typed up the text for you. It included the three website URL's as a sidebar.<P>"The Super Nova: Emperor of the Fading Suns never fades.<BR>Despite its title, one PC game that isn't fading away is …EFS… Although more that four years have past since its release, the empire-building game of conquest in space has maintained a devoted following and in some ways is more popular than ever. Loyalty to the pen and paper game that inspired it is part of the reason - diehard followers who felt let down by the computer version have been steadily working on improvements that have made the game much more playable. If your copy has been gathering dust for a while now, surf to the EFS:Nova - The New Start webpage and download files that significantly alter the game play. A full FAQ and reference tables are on hand for those who want to know exactly what they're getting into. For more on EFS and its source material, check out the Fading Suns Jumpweb webring and the encyclopedic Empire of the Phoenix Throne website."<P>There you have it!<P>I have to give you guys credit for sticking with it! More power (and source code) to you!<P>Aloid

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:35 pm

Thanks for posting that Aloid!<P>I, like Tiberius, also suggest you try out Hyperion for single player and of course always use the 1.4 patch from Holistic, they snuck it out on me some time ago before I stumbled into here despite me being in the 1.3 beta patch :)<P>And PBEM games are good fun if you have the time, although you should be well versed in what galaxy you are playing (or do a lot of research on it) lest you be like me and spend ages exploring to find resource sites :)<P>- Deathifier

Aloid
Fighter pilot

Postby Aloid » Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:48 am

Hi all,<P>After posting the article, I couldn't resist loading up the game, downloading 1.4 and both Nova and Hyperion. <P>The manual and all my old docs on the game are packed away in a box somewhere in my garage. (I'll probably download all that stuff again.)<P>I'll have to stick with single player for now, because I've become married (sounds like a disease),and had two kids since EFS was released. So, most of my playing time is late on the weekends.<P>Maybe someday my free time will loosen-up, and I'll have more time for PBEM. I'll bet you guys wil still be here! ;) <P>Enjoy!<P>I'll be back with Q's I'm sure. (and I'm always lurking...)<P>Aloid

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:31 pm

I don't see the EFS community dieing out ever, if the source code is released someday. If it isn't, it will last for years to come unless another turn based game that improves on all the great things that make EFS so fun is released, which is highly unlikely (Holistic moving onto Bio-strike now...)<P>Also, if you want a huge challenge in single player, play the Soren galaxy with universal warehouse off. It's quite insane. Good luck.

mikegamer
Tank commander

Postby mikegamer » Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:52 am

My thanks to Aloid also for typing in the article. If you can get a turn in on the weekends you could probably fit into a game. There are a number of us who are patient players. I had to delay a game for two weeks because of my work commitments.<P>Mike B

Aloid
Fighter pilot

Postby Aloid » Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:24 pm

Thanks Mike,<BR>I found my old manual, and started playing Friday and Saturday night. I've got a long way to go before getting into a PBEM game.<P>I assume you all have every planet figured out, and know what to do when confronted with Simbiots... I am learning some hard lessons there!<P>I'm playing as Hawkwood, and after giving my votes away for the first election, I was given the Imperial Fleet & the Imperial Eye. <P>I figured I would do the right thing for mankind and make the Simbiots pay for moving into our neighborhood. I had some success at first, but ran into a real nightmare after that. Most of the fleet is wrecked, and the troopers from the Eye that I moved in place, were flattened like a paper cup on a freeway!<P>My successor to the Fleet will have his/her hands full.<P>One thing I did learn during my time in office, is that selling off the resource production of the Empire is quite profitable! :) <P>Bottomline: let me learn some more, and I'll be back to take punishment from you guys.<P>Aloid

Return to “NOVA - how to play a better game”