A couple more Hyperion questions

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Stryke11
Infantery

A couple more Hyperion questions

Postby Stryke11 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:27 am

1) I have noticed in all my games that the computer controlled players produce fortifications like crazy, such as 4-6 of them on EVERY city, even farms, chemicals, whatever. My question is, how do they do this? Not only are fortifications mad expensive, but you have to build a missile battery at a fort or factory (forget which) and then use some other means (such as cargo plane or hover truck) to get it to whereever it's supposed to go, and then it needs to be turned to a fortification. To put even one of these in every city would take me hundreds of turns, so how does the comp get 4-6 in every city? Can it produce them by themselves even though I cannot?

2)I notice a lot of cool church/league units can only be produced with a peasant (they show up in my forts and factories and spaceports, but I cannot build them). How does one aquire a peasant? I have tried disbanding rebel captures but they always revolt the next turn and dissappear. Is there another, easier way of getting peasants? If not, and you're not supposed to build those units, then why are they available, as in the games I have playes (HOriginal) the church at least never produced any of it's "special" units.

Thanks in advance for any help.

domingo
Fighter pilot

Re: A couple more Hyperion questions

Postby domingo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:48 pm

Simple.

AI does not have same restrictions on required unit, money and resources as the player has.

If AI has required components - ok, they use them.
If not - components will appear from 'thin air' :-)

It is a 'shortcut' programmers made so they don't need to create 'good' AI (if such a thing can be coded at all).

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:31 pm

Generally the AI ignores any requirement for an input unit. However, there may be exceptions to this, and I believe requirements are turned on or off for each unit # and each non-House faction. In addition, while resources ARE subtracted, the AI has no concept of zero . . . either in money or resources.

Lots of discussion on this topic on this forum, if you search for it. One thing that binds all factions (but the rebels) is the time required to build.

Has anyone else noticed the Houses NEVER build powered-armor infantry?

Stryke11
Infantery

Postby Stryke11 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:08 am

They don't need to produce power armored infantry when every one of their cities has 6 fortifications.

Actually, I've noticed that the AI isn't very agressive about landing strike teams on your planets, and this serves to make EFS a little longer in that computer players hunker down and fortify their planets and it takes forever to amass a force strong enough to take them down, but you have plenty of time and space to build this force. It becomes monotonous after awhile. All in all I think fortifications are lame. They player has little incentive to build them due to their cost and lack of mobility, and computer players overuse them and make conquest sloooooooow.

Just once I'd like to see three of four full 20-stacks of fully loaded transports drop shock troops on my planet, jump away, and make room for the next wave. The cost of maintaining my space fleet and troops on enemy worlds is so high that I'd not be able to respond to that kind of super attack. Now THAT would rule. As it is each one of my home planets is being guarded by one noble in the palace and maybe a tank or something left over from when I first conquered the world, and that is more than enough.

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:38 am

I wasn't actually commenting on Hyperion (never played it) but on basic EFS mechanics. Even in original EFS, the AI NEVER produces powered armor units, as far as I can tell. NEVER!

Even if you delete the required technology!

Even if you delete all the resource requirements!

I am working on my own version of EFS, and this AI drawback is frustrating. And the AI is incapable of the assaults you describe. Sounds to me like the fortification situation you describe is a recreation of the original problem with piles of AI garrison units. At least I've solved THAT problem . . .
Grimly

UnFleshedOne
Fighter pilot

Postby UnFleshedOne » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:46 am

Did you try to delete all other units?
Open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:35 pm

No, I didn't. I'll try it!

If that DID work, it would only mean that the AI recognizes the unit but doesn't like it---i.e., it puts it at the bottom of the build/combat table. If that's true, it makes no sense but it would tel me I am missing something. It may be that HDI turned off that unit for some reason. It may be that I need to perform some trick to get the AI to build it.

thanks!

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm

Well, I turned off everything but Powered Armor Legion and Engineer, And the AI DID build Legions! So it must be a simple matter of lowering tech costs, reducing research steps, and making it easier to develop resources.

Why HDI made the PAL so distasteful to the AI, I don't know. It should be one of the most common mid-game units.

Return to “Hyperion”