Hyperion Corinthian Galaxy - Comments

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Re: Hyperion Corinthian Galaxy - Comments

Postby lordmoore » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:41 pm

Ok....I've got a question. I'm playing the Hazat and the second planet (can't remember the name but I'm sure it starts with an "S"...don't laugh I'm at work :D ) is a desert world very short on food. During the 10 turn or so, I had to start bringing in food (no league presence?) with my freighters. At the moment I have a very slight surplus of food, but of course this limits the quantity of troops that I can build or bring to the planet. Right now, I'm only using this planet to build covert units (no food upkeep) and to supply my other planets with trace and metal (I build one engineer very other turn and switch it from building limited foo production and mines/wells). I don't expect alot of food to be produced...however I would think the re-capture of the two farms to the north and the others to the south would hvae provided more food then they did each turn?.?
Enemies strengthen you.
Allies weaken.
I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:08 pm

lordmoore: Arborium is the solution, but with 1.4g it is very hard on dessert worlds to get enough food (like in real life).

B.K.: 2nd catch: let them heal up, after that fight them again, otherwise you destroy them after they rebel from your troops.
Imperial eye + other ministeries - check out the planet where the IE had all the cities at the 1st turn and you know why it is so strong. In a MP game possible every ministery gets a planet to develop a base for it, and against the symbiots the forces are often needed.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:48 pm

True...it's more logical this way. I was just thinking that maybe one of the farms could be adjusted to produce more. Doesn't mattter...I'll use the planet to produce trace heavy items. ;)

B.K is right....I tested the game as Li Halan and easily ran through the rebels using the same combo (its a no brainer). It was a totally different game then the one with Hazat. BTW...how in the world do you capture the church on the Hazat homeworld? I brought two stacks, one with:
heavy tank killers (several)
Covert units
Heavy Infantry
Divebombers
officer

another with:
fighters
noble
infantry
power armour
fertilizer spec
fanatic (two)

Even with these stacks the church still had several Monks and one D cannon (or was it a fort...can't remember and I'm at work). Is this the most fortified church on a homeworld?
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:38 am

I've been playing 1.4g with Li Halan, and Earth has been pretty easy... Using those church units, and the Noble with Blademaster, I have been able to capture all of the rebel cities with ease. I think I held the Palace by the fourth or fifth turn... It was certainly very quick. I don't know how the map started out, but I'm guessing some of the standards I found in the Rebel cities on Earth were originally from Great Houses?
Right - I think I made Li Halan too easy for human players. The computer AI was having trouble, but I guess they always have trouble. I'm going to look into making it harder for Li Halan in the next update to the Corinthian Galaxy.

So very quickly I had aquired two standards and a statue... Using the Psych-attacker/Battlemaster combo also yielded quick control of Moonvick and Quentrand. After a few turns, I had 100K, so I attacked the church on Kish, Moonvick, and Quentrand, sueing for peace in the same turn. So now I have a LOT of money coming in every turn, what with tithe-skimming and all.
Sounds like you are doing very well!

I don't know how those battles would have gone without battlemaster, so perhaps that is the great balancer for Li Halan, but if you want the rebels to challenge the Li Halan player, you might tone down the number of religious units you give them. Dervishes instead of Warlocks, perhaps.. ?
I think that's what I'm going to do as I gave Li Halan Warlocks and then increased the Agility of Psychic units to make them better since you can't build very many of them. These two changes have made it very easy for Li Halan.

I also think that the Imperial Eye is a little too powerful. With the lander ships that they start out with, you can take almost any rebel city... using the lander alone.
The 'Eye is meant to be a viable selection for a House in the Corinthian Galaxy. They are fairly powerful, but easily kept in check by the Imperial Fleet.

I'm really sorry to ramble, (some say if I were sorry, I wouldn't continue to do it...) but I just wanted to also mention that I've really been enjoying Corinthian... I think it's really awesome that there is so much to do even on the first turn... The unit pay is moving towards positive, and I haven't finished building any flagships yet, so I don't think that money is completely out of whack... It just takes a while to balance itself out.
I tend to agree here - a House's income is self-correcting as if you are making too much money, all it takes is to build a few expensive space units to slow that down a bit. If you're making too little, slow down on production a bit and increase taxes and you can make ends meet.

Ok....I've got a question. I'm playing the Hazat and the second planet (can't remember the name but I'm sure it starts with an "S"...don't laugh I'm at work ) is a desert world very short on food. During the 10 turn or so, I had to start bringing in food (no league presence?) with my freighters. At the moment I have a very slight surplus of food, but of course this limits the quantity of troops that I can build or bring to the planet. Right now, I'm only using this planet to build covert units (no food upkeep) and to supply my other planets with trace and metal (I build one engineer very other turn and switch it from building limited foo production and mines/wells). I don't expect alot of food to be produced...however I would think the re-capture of the two farms to the north and the others to the south would hvae provided more food then they did each turn?.?
Like Klaus mentions below, Food is scarce on desert worlds and you need Arboriums to make ends meet. Schemadin is the planet you're thinking of, by the way. Also, you'll notice that there is plenty of Energy, Metal, and Trace on desert planets.

True...it's more logical this way. I was just thinking that maybe one of the farms could be adjusted to produce more. Doesn't mattter...I'll use the planet to produce trace heavy items.
Maybe I could add another Fertile, although I manage fine the way it is.

B.K is right....I tested the game as Li Halan and easily ran through the rebels using the same combo (its a no brainer). It was a totally different game then the one with Hazat.
The Corinthian Galaxy was designed by the author to make playing Hazat very challenging. That is why their Church is loaded with Monks, Inquisitors, etc. so that it is very hard to capture.

BTW...how in the world do you capture the church on the Hazat homeworld? I brought two stacks, one with:
heavy tank killers (several)
Covert units
Heavy Infantry
Divebombers
officer

another with:
fighters
noble
infantry
power armour
fertilizer spec
fanatic (two)

Even with these stacks the church still had several Monks and one D cannon (or was it a fort...can't remember and I'm at work). Is this the most fortified church on a homeworld?
Yes, but you're not attacking with the right troops. Heavy Tank Killers are no good against agile Foot units, you need to use units with high accuracy like Anti-Infantry Tanks, Rocket Artillery, Spies, Chem Shock Legions, etc.

Matt
Matt

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:24 am

Hazat Church - or bomb the church in the ground and build your own, let the troops sit there and call for theire brothers.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:16 pm

Hazat Church - or bomb the church in the ground and build your own, let the troops sit there and call for theire brothers.
I don't think this works any more (at least early in the game) because I think I put a Discontinuity Beam Cannon in Hazat's Church.

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:15 pm

Oh...it works some...I lost a couple of the fleets ships in the process(luckly they where mostly captured ships)...guess it all depends on your definition of success.

No need to add another Fertile on my account. I've always used desert planets as trace,metal & energy factories (for the most part). For some reason I just expected the planet to produce more food then it did.

I actually used the heavy tanks for dealing with the forts and the D-cannon. I'll try using more accurate units for my mop up stack.

I really like the changes you've made to this patch Matt.
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:45 am

Oh...it works some...I lost a couple of the fleets ships in the process(luckly they where mostly captured ships)...guess it all depends on your definition of success.
Using the Imperial Fleet for bombardment works!

:D

Or, like your son says - "its tight!".

Matt
Matt

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:07 am

Good memory! Yeah, I'm posting alot because I final got my cable modem back!!!!!!! I'm in the big leagues now!
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:34 pm

Humm...I don't believe DN's are possible to research and build within 9 turns...even if you lucked up, found and capture (ruins & monastaries) the right techs to build them (that's a whole lot of tech within 9 turns). Only way I can imagine is the capture the units from the church or a rebel planet. Even then, the upkeep would drain the noble coffers faster than a vampire in a blood bank! :D
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:47 pm

Changes in the lastest Hyperion Gamma Release:

Removed Li Halan Church Psy units on Earth and replaced them with Clergy, Fanatics, and Dervishes. This should make it a lot harder for Li Halan on Earth.

Swapped Ministry Nobles for Officers. Now none of the Ministries (and the Imperial Guard) have Nobles.

That's it!

Let me know how the changes work...

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:01 am

Changes in 25AUG04 Hyperion Gamma Release:

Added 3 new planets that are connected to Earth and Nova Terra to max out the planets in the Corinthian Galaxy at 40.

With changes I've made in the harvesting *.DAT files, Farms can now be in a place where they produce 0 Food. For now I added rivers where necessary on Ice planets (where their harvesting could be 0). The reason for this is that Forests now provide no Food harvesting for Farms.

I also tweaked the Quentrand Li Halan and al-Malik structures / forces slightly and added a few more Rebel forces.

Minerva has been moved but retains all the same jump roots (it was in a really busy jumpgate section and so I figured I'd move it to where it was easier to see).

I think that's it!

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:37 am

Ruslan:

I see your point on the Corinthian Galaxy - it has been a while since I checked the first-turn attack possibilities and so I need to remember to keep this in mind when I update the starting Earth forces (I keep going back and forth between making it stronger so that the AI does better and then weaker so that the humans don't have such an advantage).

Also adding the roads on Earth was a dumb idea (I keep forgetting this, too, apparently as I have done this before and removed them).

Okay, I'll go fix this really quickly and provide another update...

Thanks for the insightful comments!

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:50 am

Okay, I have another update and the Li Halan advantage on Earth is not as much as it was. They still have options to do some damage, but their chances of getting away with it are slim.

I basically removed the Li Halan Warlocks and gave them only one Dervish with the rest of the units as Clergy or Fanatics. I also removed the roads so that it is harder to amass lots of troops next to your neighbor before they get their turn.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Matt
Matt

RA-Menmare
Fighter pilot

Postby RA-Menmare » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:24 am

Where I can take this update?

Return to “Hyperion”