Hyperion HOriginal Galaxy - Comments

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Hyperion HOriginal Galaxy - Comments

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Fri May 28, 2004 8:04 pm

I'm going to be adding a separate Subject for each galaxy included in the Hyperion Mod for comments on that specific galaxy.

This will help me organize and work on changes to a specific galaxy as well as add additional awareness to players that there are several different galaxies available for play in Hyperion games.

Don't forget that there is a readme file for each galaxy to provide a little background to players before they begin playing.

If you have any comments on the Hyperionized Original Galaxy, post them in this thread and I'll take a look at them and see about making changes to that galaxy.

Matt
Matt

Looney
Fighter pilot

Re: Hyperion HOriginal Galaxy - Comments

Postby Looney » Sat May 29, 2004 12:34 am

Matt,
Yes WAY to easy. But it is already the easiest galaxy to play :D . The planets are as unbalanced as usual, although the new fleets are a good a change. I have noticed an improvement in AI ( gaining control of garrison commander is essential because the symboit expands quickly and the computer houses do little to stem the tide). I have haven't played my way through to the 3rd epoch yet (i had to restart twice because i didnt realize how much the unit's changed).

Just a two suggestions not pertaining to the map;
1. Raise the build time on scout tanks to 2 and put them back in the factories
2. Allow more energy to be generated per well. It's not a problem when the universal warehouse is on, but other wise the it becomes very hard to generate enough chemicals. This largely due in part to the fact that chemicals are now (even more so than the last version) the single most important resource in unit/resource creation.

Otherwise, this version is fantastic! I'm glad there are people out there like you making good games better. I havent stopped playing (except for work, blah!) since I downloaded it.

-NBR
Some people think good graphics make a good game. Good people think good graphics only make a good game better.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sat May 29, 2004 2:47 am

NBR:

Thanks for the comments!

Players probably generate too much income would be my guess at the beginning with the new Sceptres, looks like I'll need to probably lower the levels of the starting Sceptres.

1. Raise the build time on scout tanks to 2 and put them back in the factories
Hmmm... the build time of this unit is right at 1.5 and so sometimes it shows up as 1 turn and sometimes as 2, like it did for my current update based on a few minor modifications (2 turns is its target production value, looks like I'll need to keep an eye on that unit).

As far as moving them back into Factories, I was kind of hoping that people would like them in Forts since they are scout-type units. Maybe not. What about the Spy Planes and a few other units that are being built in Forts as well? Move them back to Factories, too?

2. Allow more energy to be generated per well. It's not a problem when the universal warehouse is on, but other wise the it becomes very hard to generate enough chemicals. This largely due in part to the fact that chemicals are now (even more so than the last version) the single most important resource in unit/resource creation.
Well, you've played more turns than I have, but are you sure you're maximizing your Energy output on each planet? If it looks like you are then I'll need to look into maybe lowering the amount of Energy being used to produce Chemicals or increase the amount being harvested.

I haven't noticed the same problem, but I haven't gotten very far in my games before I restart to check out things.

Otherwise, this version is fantastic! I'm glad there are people out there like you making good games better. I havent stopped playing (except for work, blah!) since I downloaded it.
Thanks - I haven't had a chance to play much, but today and Monday night. Well, we'll see if I can squeeze some time in this weekend! :D

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sat May 29, 2004 2:58 am

Oh yah, forgot that I made the following change in the latest Gamma release:

1. Changed ***R36.1*** unit to a Special Forces Legion for the Imperial Fleet.

That's it!

Matt
Matt

herophant
Tank commander

Postby herophant » Sat May 29, 2004 1:11 pm

I found my self runing out of trace on planets with lots of water and energy on planets with lots of land. I also think it should be looked at. One planet should be able to have a decent production of the advanced units without having to gather trace/energy from lots of other planets.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Sat May 29, 2004 4:34 pm

I found my self runing out of trace on planets with lots of water and energy on planets with lots of land. I also think it should be looked at. One planet should be able to have a decent production of the advanced units without having to gather trace/energy from lots of other planets.
I've had a problem with Trace production, but I haven't gotten far enough into the game to determine if it is going to be a common issue, but I will certainly look into it!

By the way, let me know if any of the planet types (Normal, City, Desert, Jungle, Ice) have a good balance with this from what you've seen.

I know that Desert planets generate lots of Energy. Is Trace gathering too low on those planets?

Thanks for the comments!

Matt
Matt

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:06 am

The Imperial Fleet Special Forces Legion that I set the Reserved unit to should have been an Imperial Assault Mech, so I've now changed it to be such.

Matt
Matt

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:26 pm

I am in this galaxy at the third election now, aand as Hazat i did not found any big disbalance in ressourceses. Yes, some shipping from one planet to another, but that is normal....

fermata101
Infantery

Postby fermata101 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:50 am

I played about 12 turns of 1.4g with the Horiginal14 galaxy this weekend (House Decados).

The thing that most struck me about 1.4g, as others on the forum have mentioned, is the high movement rates. Especially the assault landers, which now have 28 move points, so you can move quite a large force from anywhere to anywhere on the planet. I really like the high movement rates... they make it possible to get a lot done on your turns. The only thing I would be concerned about is game balance in multiplayer games. The high movements allow each player to make a LOT of moves before the next player gets a chance to move. It allows your enemy to, say, land on one of your planets and take over a huge number of cities before you even get a chance to respond. I haven't played MP yet so I don't know how much of an issue this is.

In my game, I got appointed to the Stigmata Garrison at the first election. Have the Symbiots been weakened in this version? They don't seem to be much of a match for the most powerful units in the garrison. (In my previous game with 1.375, no one won the first three elections... the Symbiots were on a rampage by year 30 until I stumbled across a couple of Alien Phage devices in a ruin and dropped them on the Symbiot worlds..) I wanted to start producing units for the garrison, but I noticed that they completely lack chemicals on Stigmata, so they can't make Engineers or basically any other unit in the game... not sure if this was intentional.

All the resource-gathering cities seem to generate a lot more resources, which is good... I thought they were a bit too stingy in 1.375. Engineers now seem more reasonably priced. The new 7 chemicals and 1 trace requirement for Engineers definitely slows down the development of new planets (with warehouse off).

Overall, looks like a really nice improvement... looking forward to finishing this game!

-Jeff

georg
Infantery

Postby georg » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:24 am

I play this galaxy as al malik and i'm currently having a lot of succes getting elected. I allways keep the Stigmata for myself and promise the fleet and the Eye to someone weak.

About Symbiots and thier weakness... yeah they're weak on Stigmata. I managed to wipe them out in no time. I even captured two of their ships on the ground on one of their planets. I used those ships against them so it's more their loss than mine. But their ships loyalty was 0% and they never rebeled. Not even when landed. Dunno if this is wrong or not.

Anyway, i wiped out the Syms off Stigmata and later they sent some nesters and built more hives but i destroyed those too. I couldn't however destroy their ships. Now it's around 5030 and i get reports of them capturing cities on some distant planets. So they're alive and kicking but they gave up on Stigmata and i gave up on them as well. The Decados are giving me a bigger headache.

Speaking of which, they forgot to defend their palace so they lost their nobles and a house standard to my daring "swoop-snatch-runaway" maneouvre.

A few questions now.

1. Why are the Syms not fighting for Stigmata?
2. Why was the Stigmata garrison fleet so weak? I blocked the first 5 elections before i became Stigmata commander so maybe the AI lost some ships during that time. All i got were 3 different transports and a frigate or two. Then i masterfully lost those, but that's besides the point.
3. Why the hell are the Decados building so many Fortifications and how can they afford them? They had only one pitifull PTS on theit home ground but they had LOTS of Fortifications.
4. Should i be allowed to grab/transport House Standards?

cheers

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:22 pm

as a quick answer to why the AI can build so fast: search in the forum, was discussed some 2-3 years ago - the AI is able to buy anything from the league (also input units) for a inredible low price.

georg
Infantery

Postby georg » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:48 pm

Well okay if they can build fast, but do they pay maintenance on that?

Maybe it's not neccesary cos the AI isn't determined to crush me, and i can allways ask them for peace and just say i'll appretiate it and they agree.

It's a problem i saw in many games.

Either the AI simply gets free units/resources and pays less to have a bigger army and simply owerwhelms the human player.(Master of Orion is a good example of this) Or, the AI is more balanced and is even with the human player but then suffers cos it can't really think for itself and has a disasterous tactical disadvantage(many games), or just builds up a defense and waits to be conquered which get boring quickly.(Like in MOO III for example, and many others)

The only game i recall which was both complex and fun and fun to play against the AI is the original freeware version of Titans of Steel. But that game is dead now, with the release of the not-so-much better 35$ ToS:Warring Suns.

I apologize for the digression but it's almost hopeless to have a balanced AI that works well against a novice player and a more experience player and is as good as a human opponent. Isn't it?

Gotthard
Infantery

Postby Gotthard » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:03 pm

The symbiots do seem weak to me... although mabe they are expanding slower, I remember with one of the betas they just crashed over everything in no time flat... I was losing worlds faster than I could fly ships out to them. Now, I think the Ai has crushed them... at least on stigmata and nowhere, or wherever else they are. They were actually invading symbiot worlds I think.

Also, resources seem uber high to me. Especially trace in particular, although gems, exotica and food seem a mite bit high. The factories seem to be ok overall... maybe resources needed for input could be increased, and not have a direct 1-1 ratio for most of them.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:19 am

Gotthard:

I can't remember if I released an update with the Symbiots a little bit tougher or not (might be in my unreleased update).

I'll have to check into it when I get back in town (traveling right now).

As far as the Trace and resources, see your other post on that.

Matt
Matt

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:55 pm

Ruslan: Corinthian is a very good map for MP, Hazat the hardest but second and close to Leagueheim.
Also never forget that diplomacy can start before any turn is made!

Return to “Hyperion”