Hyperion 1.4 gamma and the Battlemaster trait

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Sukayo
Noble

Hyperion 1.4 gamma and the Battlemaster trait

Postby Sukayo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:19 pm

Discussed already in the MP games using the beta version, IMO this trait is now breaking the balance of the units. So if you tell it is easy to play recheck this trait, then try it w/o the BM ;) .

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Re: Hyperion 1.4 gamma and the Battlemaster trait

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:03 am

Klaus:

Battlemaster is certainly still a very powerful trait to have. It certainly makes fighting the computer players in single-player games much more interesting.

Games are certainly much easier with the trait, but I still think it is manageable and a neat way to involve Nobles in combat.

With the recent changes to the Clergy, Dervish, Warlock, and Cyber Mage units, though, I think it is easier to assassinate Nobles with them (and of course you can still always use Spies and even Snipers now are potentially effective at attacking Nobles).

So even though it makes certain units very potent (a Battlemaster Noble with Foot units can be very potent), it is still beatable since there are quite a few units that have very potent attacks (like aircraft for example) where the Battlemaster Trait might take an 8/1 ratio (average 99% damage) and bring it down to like 5/1 (average 80.5% damage) or 4/1 (average 66.7% damage), where the attacks will still do significant amounts of damage.

If I did have a choice, though, I would make the Battlemaster scale unit's armor by a multiplier and not by an adder. Adding 20 to a unit with 1 armor is a 20 times improvement! Whereas, doubling a unit's armor (like the Fort structure does) would be a much better way of managing this bonus.

Matt
Matt

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:17 pm

Hmm, you may be able to do that as part of your code hacks.

Assuming the battlemaster trait is dealt with in one spot, something like:

if(Battlemaster) unitarmour += 20;

Which in assembly would be an add operation. You should be able to change it to mult and change the value once you locate it.
(My assembly knowledge is not perfect, so that may not be 100% accurate, you get the idea though).

If you want I can have a go at it, uh, maybe on the weekend.

- Deathifier

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:20 am

Deathifier:

The problem is that 20 is such a common number. I haven't checked, but it seems like that number would be everywhere.

At least with the Symbiot build order it was a matter of just using the hex numbers of their unit number and playing with the right size of their data types. The same goes with the League restocking values.

I'm not much on assembler, though, and so you may have better insight on how to search because the + 20 might be convert into a certain pattern that is 2 or 3 bytes - that would make it more unique and there might only be a few locations in the EXE that have that pattern.

I wish you the best of luck!

Matt
Matt

Gotthard
Infantery

Postby Gotthard » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:52 pm

Actually I ran through the hex and didn't find a binary/hex 20 anywhere... I assume it is in that anyway. I found an instance of "20" ... but changing it didn't do anything I could tell.

And I'm not smart enough to run it through memory and watch the registers I don't think. But that'd be *maybe* how to find it... but I don't even know when it does combat. I think I found some of the routines... but they are all in assembly so it's hard to decipher anything at all.

I guess someone smart could watch it run through memory as you attack and get a memory dump... god help me I don't even know how to start doing that though.

Maybe I'll look at what Matt found and where it was for other constants or something. Talk about painful, kudos to him for finding that stuff!

Return to “Hyperion”