Hyperion V1.375 beta 17DEC2K Available!

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Hyperion V1.375 beta 17DEC2K Available!

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 17, 2000 1:21 pm

I've updated the Hyperion patch, it is available at the following URL:<p> <A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/mc0271/hyperion/downloads.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.nbci.com/mc0271/hyperion/downloads.html</A> <p>This is a major update, the following changes were made:<p>UNIT.DAT<p>1. Space ships were updated, namely the first and second level ships so that they had slightly more accuracy (about +10-20% accuracy per weapon) and are slightly smaller so that some of them take 1 less turn to build. Particular attention has been paid to the second level ships to ensure that most of them take only 1 turn to build. The Stealth Ship category now has a new unit, a Space Raider vessel that is a precursor to the more advanced Stealth Ships. This addition will cause all Stealth Ships to be "downgraded" one level in any game you are playing. This fills a gap in early space units for a fast-to-build, agile capital ship, and fits between a Space Torpedo Bomber and Space Frigate in size. Space Fighters and Torpedo Bombers have had their Armor and Attack Strength decreased. They should still be effective against capital ships, but not nearly as so. Flagships have been beefed up so that they are now more formidible vessels. However, they are still not one-vessel wrecking crews.<br>2. Naval units have been tweaked so that Naval Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, and Carriers have an inaccurate (1 accuracy) Indirect capability, while the Naval Battleship has an inaccurate (1 accuracy) Air capabilty. Also, Naval units are now twice as big as before (Metal/Ceramsteel) so that they are much more heavily armored. Now they should be quite a bit more usefull. Again, as with space ships, particular attention has been paid to the number of turns these vessels take to build for the first and subsequent levels. The second and third levels of these vessels are much more powerful than before, hence they take 3 or 4 turns to build.<br>3. Unit movement for non-foot ground units has been dramatically increased for most units. Tread, Hover, and Naval (Naval, Water, Crawler) units have gained ~80-100% more movement, while Air units have gained ~33% more movement. This makes it so that Tread and Hover units will easily outpace Foot units on roads and Naval vessels will travel far distances in a single year. Air units are still the fastest moving units in the game.<br>4. The Symbiots have a new unit, the Symbiot Crustling. This is a Lander movement type Nester. They cannot be built and so are for scenario designers who want an added challenge from the Symbiots as this increases their likelyhood to spread to other systems.<br>5. Divine Landers have 4 Cargo Slots. This means that if the Church can employ these vessels, then 4 Inquisitors/Monks will be delivered to a planet with Labs researching proscribed technology rather than just 2.<br>6. Upkeep cost of Plague Bombs is now 4 times more than before.<br>7. Stigmata Defenders are now Hover units. Stigmata MegaFortress and Hover Fortress have been tweaked since their attack modes were too similar.<p>TERRCOST.DAT<p>1. With the increase in unit movement, the terrain costs have been reexamined and altered so that they match the graphic (sometimes Tundra is Ice on one planet type and Tundra on another, for example) and also make it difficult for Tread units to move through certain types of terrain (i.e. mountains and trees). This makes it so that Foot units may be able to outpace Tread units in these types of terrain.<br>2. Since mountains and trees represent urban sprawl on city (desert in Galaxy Editor) planet types, they do not impede a unit's movement (terrcost value = 1.0) and the underlying terrain will determine the movement cost.<p>UNITSPOT.DAT<p>1. Apparently if the spotting value in UNITSPOT.DAT is set too high, then it will wrap around. I've had it too high (values equal to 7 and 8) and noticed that Partisans and other units were being spotted when they shouldn't have. I've lowered the values and now things seem to be working again. I think the number in UNITSPOT.DAT is somewhere over 6 that will cause the camouflage of units to wrap around.<p>TARGET.DAT<p>1. Naval (Naval, Water, Crawler) are now immune to Direct weapons. Units must have Underwater or Indirect to be able to hit them.<br>2. Naval and Wheel units are now vulnerable to Direct Space and Close Space in case there are units of these movement types that can be loaded aboard Space Carriers and they have space weaponry. Currently, there are no Naval or Wheel units in Hyperion with this capability.<p>With the tweaking of unit movement, there is a lot heavier reliance on Chemicals for some of the early units. I may make a change to the way Chemicals are used in propulsion, but I'd like some feedback as to whether or not people are generating a surplus of Chemicals or are finding that they are frequently short-handed during the early game.<p>As always any comments are welcome!<p>Matt

Return to “Hyperion”