Q about Hyp 1.4

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

PDF
Assault Legionnaire

Q about Hyp 1.4

Postby PDF » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:04 pm

Matt,
I've just began a Hyp 1.4 solo game on an "updated" Horiginal galaxy (swapped the Fertilizers Specs with Militia as you swapped their positions), and I'm surprised with some changes :
* Is it me or did you raise considerably all Move allowances ?? It's becoming ridiculous, units with 60-80 MPs..

* Looks like you changed many combat values, particularly Infantry, they've been scaled down considerably. But it seems it has not been done for all units, space units for example..

* I've always wondered why standard Infantry units wre given Indirect and Air instead of Close and some Direct. What's the rationale ?

Anyway, is a 1.4 Unit data sheet available so that things can be compared with 1.375 ?
For the moment I still rather prefer the 1.375 units..
I also can't find any Hyperion tech Tree, you make some references to a file in a readme but the file isn't in the downloads.

Happy to see there is at least 2 dedicated EFS modders still active (you and Tiberius) ! ;)
Behold, real-time !
PDF

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Re: Q about Hyp 1.4

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:58 am

PDF:

It helps to look at all the messages, not just the current one!

Okay, to your comments...

I've just began a Hyp 1.4 solo game on an "updated" Horiginal galaxy (swapped the Fertilizers Specs with Militia as you swapped their positions), and I'm surprised with some changes :
* Is it me or did you raise considerably all Move allowances ?? It's becoming ridiculous, units with 60-80 MPs..
Okay, I'm a fan of the higher movement rates because I think it'll make PBEM games (especially once more advanced tech's get researched) go a lot faster.

Also, most of those rates are not going to be able to be achieved in the game at a state where the player can build them for decades.

So don't freak out on the movement rates quite yet - give it some time to settle in...

* Looks like you changed many combat values, particularly Infantry, they've been scaled down considerably. But it seems it has not been done for all units, space units for example..
The original V1.4a design scaled all units equally, but then units were tweaked from there. Space ships, especially, were given higher armor values. Still tweaking this area, though, and so it may not be a good thing.

* I've always wondered why standard Infantry units wre given Indirect and Air instead of Close and some Direct. What's the rationale ?
See the other post on this...

Anyway, is a 1.4 Unit data sheet available so that things can be compared with 1.375 ?
For the moment I still rather prefer the 1.375 units..
I have design spreadsheets for both, but they're a little unwieldy to the unitiated. If you're interested in the details of the design the V1.375 (or a version of it) is available on my website here:

http://www.twarriors.com/~hyperion/downloads/h1375xls.zip

I also have an older Hyperion V1.4a design spreadsheet available here:

http://www.twarriors.com/~hyperion/downloads/H14aXLS.zip

That one's about 6 weeks old, though, I need to upload a new one...

I also can't find any Hyperion tech Tree, you make some references to a file in a readme but the file isn't in the downloads.
The README file is correct, but the PowerPoint file has not been updated (I'm not sure if I'll provide it in that format in the future) and has not been included in the alpha. The Manowitz volumes do have a large amount of information on the technology branches and so I'd recommend scouring those volumes for the technology tree information. I'm also probably going to auto-generate the tech tree for my website, too, so that entire branches will be available online not just the mini-branches in the Manowitz Volumes.

Happy to see there is at least 2 dedicated EFS modders still active (you and Tiberius) !
It's amazing that this game is now 6+ years old and people are still playing it!

Matt
Matt

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Re: Q about Hyp 1.4

Postby cy387_lk » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:40 pm

It's amazing that this game is now 6+ years old and people are still playing it!
You can say that! ;)
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 pm

anyone still active working with this mod?

Rich Trup
Fighter pilot

Postby Rich Trup » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:19 pm

I really doubt it, Sukayo. I've been away from EFS for a number of years, but I had the urge to play it again. Hyperion had always been my favorite patch, so I thought I'd give the latest version a try. It's gone, horribly, horribly wrong, and is now really tedious to play, full of absurdities, and collapsing under the weight of its own complexity. What a shame :(

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:45 pm

:D Good news: I wrote Matt a short message, after downloading and newly installing his mod. He replied very fast and:

"I'm working on other projects at the moment (I haven't played a computer
game in about 4 months!), but one of these days I'll put the final polish on
Hyperion..."

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:27 pm

A great news if Matt return. :)
The other three mods (Nova, Subversion, Reality ) are abandoned and even the webs of two of them (Subversion, Reality) are offline

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:04 am

Hi,

for me at least (and i believe Tich too) the NOVA mod is finished as it is.
We moved on to other things. In this light the reurn of Matt to his "unfinished" Hyperion patch is much welcome. But anyhow, anybody who claims that something in the patch got not finished, can put of the staff and make the finish ;).

Return to “Hyperion”