dissapearing units

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Tainted Pikachu
Fighter pilot

dissapearing units

Postby Tainted Pikachu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:06 am

this is probably efs engine related bug

i moved the Eye lander on istakhr to the agora, bought food and electronics, loaded them on the lander and sent it to malignatius.

on the next turn there was no lander and no cargo to be found anywhere.

is there some bug that has something to do with it? what exactly triggers it, how, if possible, can it be avoided, and is there any way to reactivate the missing unit?

Grimly
Assasin

Re: dissapearing units

Postby Grimly » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:25 pm

Do you have Combat Report on? The lander was probably attacked by enemy ships (most likely Symbiot) that you can't see now.
Grimly

Tainted Pikachu
Fighter pilot

Postby Tainted Pikachu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:37 pm

i have the combat report on. i play li halan, and the imperial fleet commanded by hawkwood jumped into malignatius on the same turn. no symbiot in the system. no combat.

the ship just dissapeared. hawkwood have not spotted it, and there's no way any hazat or decados could have been involved.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:21 pm

Yeah...thats a bug. Right-click on the spot where the unit should be at and it will show up (at least it does for me). You'll have to move it to get it visible again (if I remember correctly).
Enemies strengthen you.
Allies weaken.
I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Tainted Pikachu
Fighter pilot

Postby Tainted Pikachu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:02 pm

i tried right clicking on the ministry field in orbit, but still failed to mark the unit.

also, i noticed that the cargo was not added to planetary stocks. i had 999food and 250electronics aboard.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:20 pm

Hummmm :confused:
Well, you could resort to the painful option of looking through every single unit to try and find the AL. Can't tell you how to get to the unit list from memory...I don't use it that often.
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:24 pm

...sorry for the double post but I had another thought. You could try re-running that turn (you do autosave don't you?) and seeing if the unit disappears again. Also double check the Combat Report to made sure you didn't miss the lander getting hit. I sometimes fly through the screens...
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:46 am

Yeah, if you don't autosave, you should---set the number in EFS.INI to 5 or 10 . . . that helps when certain bugs develop and you have to backtrack.
Grimly

Tainted Pikachu
Fighter pilot

Postby Tainted Pikachu » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:22 am

retaking the turn is not an option in a 5-player pbem game

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:15 pm

That would complicate the matter. No other choice then to go through every unit you have until you locate the one that's missing. If you still can't find it...you'll have to write it off as a loss in a PBEM.
Enemies strengthen you.

Allies weaken.

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:10 pm

Yep, chalk it up to the unseen monsters of the void. :D
Grimly

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:06 am

Even though it is a PBEM, you could always ask the other players if it is okay to replay the turn because of this.

Might be an interesting exercise to track this down.

Matt
Matt

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:42 pm

it is easier than you think: putting house units in a ministery transporting unit leads to disappearing of this unit in EFS 1.4. At least in 95 percent of all cases. Otherwise you could get very strange effects, so i believe HDI decided to remove those illegal units from the game.

Tainted Pikachu
Fighter pilot

Postby Tainted Pikachu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:11 am

that must be it then. since i think the cargo was house property since i bought it.

Return to “Hyperion”