Mouse problems with Hyperion

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Nesborn
Infantery

Mouse problems with Hyperion

Postby Nesborn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:19 pm

For some odd reason during play with the Hyperion mod, my mouse cursor will disappear from the game screen. Not right away though. It will play fine for several minutes and then the game will act like it's freezing up. When it unfreezes the mouse cursor is no longer visible.

Nesborn
Infantery

Re: Mouse problems with Hyperion

Postby Nesborn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:46 am

Ah, nevermind. My foolishness. Due to the fact I was having some trouble installing off my cd (Directx could not install error or some such), I had used a downloaded version with the game zipped. I tried installing from the CD again by skipping straight to the _issetup.exe file. Hyperion works fine now from the CD version.

EDIT: Ah, spoke a little too soon. Although it did seem to go a longer duration before happening, eventually the mouse cursor disappeared again.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:00 pm

I doubt if that is an issue with Hyperion - I'm not sure what your problem may be - are you alt-tabbing away from the game and back?

That is one way to get your mouse cursor to disappear! If you alt-tab away from the game, there are only certain places in the game where you can do it from safely - like the Byzantium II screen. Otherwise, when you come back to the game, the mouse cursor will not be shown (but you can still use the keyboard, like file -> save and file -> exit).

That's about the only thing I can think about from your description.

Matt
Matt

Nesborn
Infantery

Postby Nesborn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:43 pm

No, it isn't alt-tabbing. The game seems to lock up for a moment during play, and then when it unlocks the mouse pointer is simply gone. But I can use the keyboard (which I use to promptly save and exit). Though it runs fine in XP, I tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows95, though to no effect. Kind of annoying, as I'm only able to get about 5 minutes of play in before it occurs. I can't for the life of me imagine what's causing it.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:48 am

Nesborn:

I have not heard of this problem before - it sounds weird. It seems like the same affect from alt-tabbing occurs though.

I wonder if a program is switching away and then back. You know, I had a Sound Blaster Audigy Card and the Remote Control Popup was in the upper right. When I played EFS, I would sometimes cause it to popup and then accidentally click on it and it would alt-tab away from the game. This was annoying so I disabled the Remote Control Popup.

I'm just wondering if you could have something installed that does something similar. Hmmm... it is about the only think I can think of at the moment.

I'm not sure why the game would pause and then come back with the mouse pointer gone. So this does not happen in XP, but in '95?

One thing you should be able to check is you should have the same problem with either EFS.EXE or EFSHYP.EXE. You are also running the game in full screen mode and not using (I forget what it is called - but there is a DirectX emulation program that allows you to run DirectX games in windowed modes, I think it is called Dixie or something like that).

Do you have another computer you can try it on?

Hmmm... this one is a mystery!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Matt
Matt

Nesborn
Infantery

Postby Nesborn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:59 am

It is being run in fullscreen, and I generally don't keep any background programs running that can pop-up of their own will.
I tried the EFSHYP.exe, but got errors beside the mouse disappearing (outright crashing, weird color distortions). I just set EFS compatibility to Windows95 with forced 256 colors (again), and this time managed to get continual play for about 4-5 hours with no mouse bug. Hopefully it isn't just a fluke and keeps working.

Matt Caspermeyer
Noble

Postby Matt Caspermeyer » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Nesborn:

There should be no difference between EFS.EXE and EFSHYP.EXE as fundamentally, there is no difference between the 2 EXE's (just some data stored in the EXE that has no bearing on any graphical function).

So even though you mentioned that EFSHYP.EXE gave you outright crashing and weird color distortions, you would have got those with the normal EFS.EXE unless your EFSHYP.EXE has become corrupted.

The only graphical problem I have with EFS is that I cannot watch the opening video and so have that turned off so that it goes right to the game menu.

I'm not 100% clear on your setup, but it sounds like you are running the game in Windows XP, but are using the Windows 95 compatibility mode, right? I run the game in XP, but do not need to use the compatibility mode. The game, for me, has pretty much run the same from Windows NT, 2000, to XP.

I can't really offer any more ideas, but it certainly seems like you are having a strange problem.

Matt
Matt

Nesborn
Infantery

Postby Nesborn » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:47 am

It's odd, but I find that if, before playing the game, I restart my computer and then go directly into playing without doing anything else first, the game will proceed to work just fine. Whereas if I do other things on my PC for a while with no restart, it seems to do the mouse bug. Or it could be the little gnome who lives inside my computer is having a great deal of fun at my expense and stringing me along with false hopes :)

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:59 pm

As a random guess, something may be stealing the window focus temporarily and then returning it to the game.

This could be something, say, on your system tray, popping up a little message.

Check programs running in the background and shut them off to test (do not compromise security doing so though!).

- Deathifier

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Deathifier is probably right. You can do a test. Hit whatever hotkeys (C-A-D?) bring up the list of running programs, and look for DLLs, or anything, that is not familiar or a part of XP. Do this on restart vs after using various typical programs, and whatever you see in that list that is NOT there at restart is a suspect.

Chances are there is a dll that is not unloaded that either affects cursors or cursor masks or is in fact a library of cursors. For example, do you run an app with its own cursor set before trying EFS? You can unload any suspect dlls from memory and then run the game.

Me, I find EFS makes Trillian 3.0 crash. Oh well.
Grimly

Return to “Hyperion”