AI locks up.

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

UnFleshedOne
Fighter pilot

Re: AI locks up.

Postby UnFleshedOne » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:18 pm

It opened it (at least on my mashine). But did nothing useful, I mean no procedures and so on. I didn't see any code except assembler.
Open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:05 pm

Right, exactly. When it works, you can double click on any procedure and see source code. But because it can't find any procedures, there are none in the list. I was hoping that there was something I was missing, but it's so easy to use, it seems there is not. It just doesn't work on this file. There is hope, because if Olly can find procedures a decompiler should be able to. But not yet, and as EFS ages it becomes less likely, not more.

I've emailed the guy who wrote the decompiler.

Grimly Fiendish 2
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Grimly Fiendish 2 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:37 pm

Just a note: Turns out EFS was compiled in Watcom C++, which of course you can read off the header in any hex editor. Watcom is now considered "legacy" and is apparently very difficult (but not impossible) to decompile.

The Wikipedia has a link under "decompiler" for manual decompiling. Seems it could be done by a programmer who has the time and the assembler code—which is easier to get out of an EXE file than decompiled output. A good debugger might be able to produce asssembler code for EFS procedures, which is then all that is necessary. In theory.

There is an open source Watcom project, if anyone out there feels ambitious enough to build a decompiler from a reverse engineered Watcom compiler . . . . ;)

lordmoore
Space Legionnaire

Postby lordmoore » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:37 pm

Hwos on first? :eek:
Enemies strengthen you.
Allies weaken.
I tell you this in the hope that it will help you understand why I act as I do in full knowledge that great forces accumulate in my Empire but with one wish--the wish to destroy me.

Return to “Hyperion”