New Player New Game questions

A very good patch

Moderator: Matt Caspermeyer

Spaceshot
Infantery

New Player New Game questions

Postby Spaceshot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 am

Hey, I'm new to Hyperion, yet have clocked over hundreds of hours on original efs. So I thought I'd be able to jump straight into a hyperion galaxy... having to learn EVERYTHING from scratch was hard so I stopped after about 4 turns of loosing alot. So I started with the original galaxy. This was really easy to own hard (getting 3 symbiot spitters and 2 symbiot spaceships before year 5000 is a bit of a cheat, but still), also I was on easy mode (no rebels/plague/food consumption) because I was really just exploring the mod not playing it full (as it was shown by owning like 4 planets (1 being another house's homeworld) by 4960ish).

So with that under the belt (didn't get that far in tech but couldn't be assed waiting for tech) I jumped back into a hyperion map (I think its corinthian). It was a bit easier but I kept getting like half+ cities taken over by rebels in the first turn or 2 (this was still on easy mode, I was taking small steps).

Now is the rebel infestation ment to be like 'NOM NOM NOM, we eat your cities and you just live with it'? because how am I ment to deal with like 5 super naval ships and 40-50 practically stronger than all my units (I have about 5-10 that can deal with them, unless I just send a group of 20 at once and lose half or more). How the hell do I do this? I know it might just seem like alot coming from original EFS but its extremely hard and a huge learning curve (not saying its bad, just frustraiting at times).

Maybe I'm ment to fight with the rebels on my starting planet for the first 30odd turns before I worry about anything else. Anyone else get like this when they loaded up hyperion in a hyperion galaxy for the first time? Just wondering if its the fact that I'm rusty (haven't played properly for a couple of years) or that this on easy mode is harder than normal efs on impossible mode?

Rich Trup
Fighter pilot

Postby Rich Trup » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:30 am

Yeah, the whole point of Hyperion was to be much more challenging than standard EFS. So you won't be moving out into the galaxy in the timeframe you're used to. You can take a look at the forum threads - Matt (the creator of Hyperion) wrote some excellent replies to people in your situation. The problem though, is that the advice was written for previous versions of Hyperion, so some of it won't be apllicable - Matt never knew when to stop ;)

Return to “Hyperion”