New Emperor of the Fading Suns Game (Nova?)

MP related, ...

Moderator: Sukayo

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:25 pm

its done.

we should start hashing out some rules. what we had agree to on the last game is a good place to start, so i will suggest that.

as the base of any multiplayer EFS game
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/houserules.htm

plus
rule 14: i purpose the balanced trait system
rule 18: I think selling maps to the vau allows faster expansion in the early turns, and thus should be allowed.

and

we shoud allow transports to launch fighters and attack in the same turn, or we should allow transports to launch fighters, but not attack with them in the same turn.

A random trojan 2.0 for nova 2.3 would be good for a map.
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/download.htm

that way nobody has an advantage, but we will need to vote on a map to keep it fair.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Garison wrote:its done.

we should start hashing out some rules. what we had agree to on the last game is a good place to start, so i will suggest that.

as the base of any multiplayer EFS game
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/houserules.htm

plus
rule 14: i purpose the balanced trait system
rule 18: I think selling maps to the vau allows faster expansion in the early turns, and thus should be allowed.

Agreed, but also change the following:

29. A noble may not vote unless he has been on the surface of Byzantium continuously since the previous election. He is banned from voting even if he took off and landed again in the same turn. If a noble is allowed to stay in orbit or jump around the surface of Byzantium, it's too easy for him to avoid assassins. You can consider this rule to be a statute of the Imperial constitution.

It should be made less strict. Taking off and landing should be ok for instance.

Killing a noble should be difficult and I don't want to have to surround every noble with a circle of militia as an assasin buffer...

Garison wrote:we shoud allow transports to launch fighters and attack in the same turn, or we should allow transports to launch fighters, but not attack with them in the same turn.

Transport should be allowed to carry fighters and launch them for attack. Afterall the advantage of using a carrier is that the 'space-slot' get's a combat ship in it rather than a freighter. Also there is an agility bonus for figthing from a carrier.

Garison wrote:A random trojan 2.0 for nova 2.3 would be good for a map.
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/download.htm

that way nobody has an advantage, but we will need to vote on a map to keep it fair.

Random troyan then as I like the imperial sceptors, so voting scepters can be destroyed, but not all of them. Also greater player interaction from the start. Still we should forbid any triumvirates forming in the first 15 turns or so (as those too easily can defeat the other two on this map.)

Perhaps roleplay wise we could make it such that in the early war years (till turn 15) the imperial constitution dictates that vendetta's must be fought between an equal number of houses. But after a while the nobles could become less 'noble' if a mayor power arises.

Shall I start as Li Halan? And set up a few random pbem universes? I'll upload some of the screenshots so we can select.

-------------------

EDIT:

I just realise that the universe which I was confused with is the "It's War" universe, which basically mixes things up to ensure there is the potential fro conflict early on, I somewhat like this, provided we have a triumvirate limiting rule.

------------------

Setting up 3 random it's war universes with following:

- Plague on
- Easy difficulty, so just deselect all tratis you don't want. (see below)
- Universal warehouse off
- pbem on
- security on
- Consume food on
- tutorial messages off
- rebellion on

SELECTING TRAITS
- Everyone should get all three ancient documentariums (to speed things up)
- 6 more points to send as you like using: http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/traits.htm, keep in mind that this is the 'it's war' scenario so you should use the scores in bracets

My traits:
- Enemy in the Church (-1)
- Battlemaster (+4)
- Warrior Ethic (+3)
(and ofcouse the ancient documentariums to speed things along)
Last edited by Lord Austere on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm

sounds good to me.

With regards to Triumvirates:

How about peace until the first election have ended instead? or peace until turn 15. that way nobody can attempt to attack before anyone gets a chance to get going. I would rather people have a chance to grow, they will be more likely to continue playing if things go wrong.

I say pick 5 or 10 maps,with an even distrubtion of homeworlds locations, and that every homeworld needs at least 2 (preferablely 3) spacelanes connecting to it. A bottleneck is a huge advantage, and we should avoid giving one to a player. unless prehaps they are in the middle of the map. having atleast 1 non-rebel planet connecting a homeworld might also be a good consideration.

Is it possible to use the editor to fix up any bad spots in a map?

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

So 10 turns universal peace to devellop our fledgeling empires.

Also we should not sell maps to the vau, simply because the map would give Li Halan too big an advantage (since we all have cities on all maps).

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:54 pm

ok, agreed

now we just need to wait for everyone else :D hopefully they agree on all terms

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:01 pm

hmmm, i think its war might be too challenging. alot of chaos at the start if i remember correctly.

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Russel is uninterested btw.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Garison wrote:hmmm, i think its war might be too challenging. alot of chaos at the start if i remember correctly.

I guess we could go for the Troyan or default. I like the "it's war" scenario as it promotes some naval conflict early in the game.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Looking at both options last night:

- standart nova galaxy is easily randomised, but it still suffers from some downsides in the balance of ministries and house resources on byz II (no factories for building attack subs) and such.

- troyan galaxy is best used as it is, when randomised it somewhat screws up the ministry resources. I like the feel of it better.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 am

How about we leave one faction to computer control? Otherwise we could try another forum, but I'd like to get the game started soon.

Thoughts?

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I hate the computer, plus, its going to get gang banged by the evil humans. everyone is going to chase those scepters quickly.

we could: Ask for Tot or leaper from the current game. Russel was just doing the best so i'd rather lose to him :D i am certain someone will agree.

we could: modify the galaxy so that the computer player has no scepters. EVERYONE declares war on the computer. It will then be a land grab for the computers resources. we would agree to no combat against each other for 15 turns, with the exception of the computer. this would give us lots to interact over in turn 16, and eliminate our missing player problem.

I think i would prefer a another human though.

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm game for any map, ill figure out what is going on lol.... and i think we should not allow any traits, just to make things simpler

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:34 pm

so it sounds to me like it does not matter what house we are, am i correct? and i hope to start the game soon!, my email is: ncaval01@students.poly.edu

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:19 pm

I got a PM from a noob who wants to play, he is currently trying out nova in single player to get a feel. Will he be acceptable ? personally i don't care to much on the skill level aspect, as i myself am rather shameful in the gameplay department.

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 pm

same here, our other game was my first multiplayer fading suns game ever...and the farthest ive ever played turn-wise

soo...i say we should let him play...if he stinks he'll just end up being the first one out :-P

Return to “Opponents wanted”