Starting a new PBEM game

MP related, ...

Moderator: Sukayo

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Actually, I think transports should only be allowed to move fighters, I think that allowing fighters to attack the same turn is not a good solution, seeing as carriers are so much more expensive
Allowing for the transport cargo to attack same turn will pretty much negate the use of carriers i think.

Also, I think ONLY the three technology advance traits should be selected if we do decide to use traits, otherwise the game changes a lot.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Nick Cav wrote:Actually, I think transports should only be allowed to move fighters, I think that allowing fighters to attack the same turn is not a good solution, seeing as carriers are so much more expensive
Allowing for the transport cargo to attack same turn will pretty much negate the use of carriers i think.

True enough, but fighters are generally quite weak in Nova compared to other ships and remember that freighter have NO combat ability at all in Nova.

Nick Cav wrote:Also, I think ONLY the three technology advance traits should be selected if we do decide to use traits, otherwise the game changes a lot.

I agree it changes the game somewhat, but that's why the traits have been balanced. The idea is that it allows the houses to somewhat differentiate themselves somewhat. A mercantile house would for instance have more money and thus more and more high tech units, whereas a militant house might have more effective units.

chalicier
Fighter pilot

Postby chalicier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm up for playing if you need another.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm

chalicier wrote:I'm up for playing if you need another.

That makes five!

Chalicier
Lord Austere
Nick Cav
Hattori Hanzo
Sangfugol

How about we allow a day for rules discussions and start in the weekend?

Any nation preferences?

Chalicier - ?
Lord Austere - Hawkwood
Nick Cav - ?
Hattori Hanzo - ?
Sangfugol - ?
Last edited by Lord Austere on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sangfugol
Fighter pilot

Postby Sangfugol » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 am

I tried to win over another newbie from bay12forum but now we are already five. :)

As I already play Li Halan in another game I would have preferred this house. Although I´m not religious they may come next to my play style (wondering about that), but I can also play another house - may at least help to distinguish between both games.

Carriers loose also some purpose because of only one move per turn and the fact that marauders and dervishes don´t work the same on carriers they do in vanilla efs.
I´m for traits off, most of us would otherwise choose Warrior Ethic. I agree that nobles should stay on Byzantium but I´m not sure about baning someone whose noble was assassinated from the next vote. If a noble was assassinated the other houses suggest a turn until which a new noble should appear on byzII.

I´m not sure about the maps. It´s war will probably kick out a player very soon (and I´m more the buildup guy :). Though it´s interesting while using the default map slowly becomes boring.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Sangfugol wrote:I tried to win over another newbie from bay12forum but now we are already five. :)

As I already play Li Halan in another game I would have preferred this house. Although I´m not religious they may come next to my play style (wondering about that), but I can also play another house - may at least help to distinguish between both games.

Carriers loose also some purpose because of only one move per turn and the fact that marauders and dervishes don´t work the same on carriers they do in vanilla efs.
I´m for traits off, most of us would otherwise choose Warrior Ethic. I agree that nobles should stay on Byzantium but I´m not sure about baning someone whose noble was assassinated from the next vote. If a noble was assassinated the other houses suggest a turn until which a new noble should appear on byzII.

I´m not sure about the maps. It´s war will probably kick out a player very soon (and I´m more the buildup guy :). Though it´s interesting while using the default map slowly becomes boring.

Ok I guess most people want to only allow launches from carriers and traits off (except the documentariums to speed things along).

Still for nobles on Byz 2, taking off and landing in the same turn should be acceptable. You could see it as taking a flight to another continent, so long as they begin and end all turns with their feet on the ground somewhere. Considering that it should take some effort in localizing and assasinating a noble I would recommend people just use spies and spy planes to keep Byz 2 well mapped (also gives these an actual proper use in the game), with an assasin in a transport on standby ofcourse.

Chalicier - ?
Lord Austere - Hawkwood
Nick Cav - ?
Hattori Hanzo - ?
Sangfugol - Li Halan

Could everyone send me a pm with their correspondence email adress for this game?

Hattori Hanzo
Fighter pilot

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:17 pm

as an absolute beginner I woud prefer to play the Hazat with which at least I played a couple of time the first 20-30 turns in my "experimental" Vanilla games against the AI. If not possible any other House it should be OK for me.

Other Rules: all OK for me, only one little doubt: why Easy Difficult ?

About game House Rules I never played Nova so I'm not able to discern what can be good or not.. :? I will accept any decision you will take.

What I need to start with the Nova Patch.. ?????

for the moment in my computer I have the Vanilla EFS enhanced to the 1.4 version.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:as an absolute beginner I woud prefer to play the Hazat with which at least I played a couple of time the first 20-30 turns in my "experimental" Vanilla games against the AI. If not possible any other House it should be OK for me.

Other Rules: all OK for me, only one little doubt: why Easy Difficult ?

Easy difficulty in the NOVA version has all idea's selected as enabled (green), so you have all the freedom you want in enabling and disabling them without worrying about having to select negative traits. (basically upon the beginning of their game everyone should disable (turn red) everything except the three ancient documentariums).

Other than this difficulty settings have no effect in the game as far as I know.

Hattori Hanzo wrote:About game House Rules I never played Nova so I'm not able to discern what can be good or not.. :? I will accept any decision you will take.

What I need to start with the Nova Patch.. ?????

for the moment in my computer I have the Vanilla EFS enhanced to the 1.4 version.

There is a website youcan get it from:
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/download.htm

Sangfugol
Fighter pilot

Postby Sangfugol » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:33 pm

On what galaxy do we agree? In the past we also spoke about a modified troyan map.

If we create a custom It´s war galaxy how much do I have to consider the balance of the homeworlds (no adjacent homeworlds, two planets for expansion)? As every house has its cities on every of this worlds I think I can skip this a little. What else is important beside the restriction of the symbiots?

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Sangfugol wrote:On what galaxy do we agree? In the past we also spoke about a modified troyan map.

If we create a custom It´s war galaxy how much do I have to consider the balance of the homeworlds (no adjacent homeworlds, two planets for expansion)? As every house has its cities on every of this worlds I think I can skip this a little. What else is important beside the restriction of the symbiots?

Random troyan destroys all of the special planets for the ministries. The random It's war might be acceptable however.

Still I'm also up for (and probably in favour of) a standart map.

chalicier
Fighter pilot

Postby chalicier » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Hmm. Decados for me, I think - I usually play Al Malik or Hazat, but I feel like a change. An EEEEEEVIL change :P

Another vote in favour of standard map here. I don't particularly mind the randoms, but I'm a big fan of the FS fluff.

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:37 pm

I have only really ever played Hazat. How about we do random in some way, for example we each pick the house for another player?
we can draw numbers or go in alphabetical order or whatnot.

oh and where can I download NOVA?

Sangfugol
Fighter pilot

Postby Sangfugol » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Lord Austere wrote:
There is a website you can get it from:
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/download.htm

Well, I´m ready to switch. Taking Li Halan was also more a thought of me in a random galaxy. Though Chalier and Lord Austere seem to already have chosen houses they are not used to.

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey all, my email is ncaval01@students.poly.edu for the record

Hattori Hanzo
Fighter pilot

Hazat or Al Malik..

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 pm

well, I contacted Nick Cav and together we decide that I will play the Hazat house and he will take Al Malik house.
the Nova patch 2.3 has been installed on my laptop and I have read the various documentation so now I should be ready to play my first turn.

Nova House Rules doubts:

about the traits: if I understand well I have to choose only the three ancient documentariums and deselect all the other. right ???

about the Vaults: is it legal to sell them the planets maps ???

I will wait an answer before to play the turn.

ps: still we miss the Chalicier email at which (if I remember well) I have to send the turn. I have sent to him an email request message but for the moment it still seem "unread".

Return to “Opponents wanted”