Beginning player needs PBEM friend/tutor

MP related, ...

Moderator: Sukayo

Larfu
Infantery

Beginning player needs PBEM friend/tutor

Postby Larfu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi there. Let me explain a bit about myself and my situation before you decide you want to play a game with me. I encountered this game for the first time in 1996 when I received a demo disk and a trial version of EFS was on it. So It gave you 1 regent election, and 2 or 3 turns after that, and then it was over. My childhood friend and I used to see how far we could get in that many turns... whoever made the most progress before the end of the demo was the eventual winner. It was good then, even though I hardly understood the depth and complexity of the game itself. After a LONG hiatus, I have been given a full version (1.4), and have started playing a PBEM game with that very same friend from ancient childhood history i mentioned earlier. Needless to say, I'm not very good. I don't know the function of some units, and I have a feeling I'm just plain not understanding some interface components or mechanics or something. I'm still not sharp, and I want to be sharp, brutal and good. I love this game, I want to understand it 100% and kick butt at it.

I'm not competitive, though that last bit seems to speak to the contrary. I like to be good at things, not win. There's a difference. If I give it my best effort, I'd be happy with whatever outcome.

If I sound like someone who you might want to take under your wing, and have a fast-paced (unemployment makes for lots of free time atm) game, just reply to my post or something and explain how you would go about helping a rusty old fart in my position. I would say

I have about 75% of the game figured out i think, and I'm looking for someone to help me fill in the rest. Thanks for reading, and I'm glad to see that this game's community lives on.

Larfu
Infantery

... anyone out there?

Postby Larfu » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Or anyone who just wouldn't mind having a novice on their team. Please. Bored.

Wraith
Infantery

Postby Wraith » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:14 pm

larfu you still interested? in doing this as I liked/played this game with my brother for a few years and then I had to get a new computer (we played on the same computer) i would like to try with you but I need to learn how to do "pbem" style games as I have never played by any game by email before.

Lord Austere
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Lord Austere » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:49 am

Wraith wrote:larfu you still interested? in doing this as I liked/played this game with my brother for a few years and then I had to get a new computer (we played on the same computer) i would like to try with you but I need to learn how to do "pbem" style games as I have never played by any game by email before.

PBEM isn't too difficult to set up. You just activate it when making a new game and make sure that all players that are plaing are labeled by a brain. You could also activate password protection.

Basically the game will, when you click 'end turn', automatically save the game at the end of your turn. Just go to the SAV folder and attach this save game to an email and send it on.

HINT: Do not cancel this saving process or you'll be forced to replay your turn as it will automatically go back to the main menu regardless if you clicked ok or cancel. (and it's just a pain to repeat your turn, especially if you just got a lucky break during your turn)

Return to “Opponents wanted”