New Game

MP related, ...

Moderator: Sukayo

Mike
Space Legionnaire

New Game

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 pm

Things seem to be slow, so perhaps this is time for a good, old fashioned butt whupping. I think we need to get some games going and see who can come out on top. Anyone game??

mr_moto
Infantery

Re: New Game

Postby mr_moto » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:03 pm

There is one game now. I play a Shock Roman Game for about 22 turns. Many events seem to happen in the next turns. Someone wage against Church, someone make a coalition and etc. I expect the game to become more and more interesting during the time.

Oladelmar
Infantery

Postby Oladelmar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm game. Still new to this game, but catching on quickly. What mod?

Mjolnir420
Fighter pilot

Postby Mjolnir420 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:14 am

I'll play, only gotten through Hyperion so far- I'm definitely an underdog!

Oladelmar
Infantery

Postby Oladelmar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Good, now we're more. Hang in there guys

kjh
Fighter pilot

Postby kjh » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:05 pm

I would like to join to PBEM game, preferebly Hyperion patch.
Currently i play one PBEM but there only two of us.
(my mate would also like to join) so we need 3 more to full.

Harlekin
Tank commander

Postby Harlekin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:34 pm

hi, i would also like to participate in a nice pbem game... :) :) :)
If something CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong...

lycurgus33
Tank commander

Postby lycurgus33 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:41 pm

I think a PBEM game would be cool.... I've never played one before. :D

Mjolnir420
Fighter pilot

Postby Mjolnir420 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:33 am

haha, well I think we have 5 all of the sudden!

<a href="http://hyperion.twarriors.com/tutorials/selectingtraits.html">Here are rules for trait picking</a>
Everyone should post with how many (+) points we should each be allowed (I think intermediate would be ok)

OK, there are also a few rules that I think apply to the game in general- they're on the Nova Site but I whiddled through them and picked out mainly bug exploits only:

2. No attacks on the Imperial Eye, until 2 turns after a player has been given command of the Imperial Eye. This will give the Eye transports enough time to move away. Without this rule, the Eye will be seriously crippled, since almost all of their landers will be taken out by players.

4. You may not reload the saved game file, and begin your turn again, just because you don't like the way your turn is going. Nor may you play a turn repeatedly in order to explore more territory.

8. No selling ministry resources. Otherwise, a minister can sell resources belonging to his ministry, adding the money to his house coffers. It is OK for your house units/cities to consume ministry resources.

9. You may not deliberately leave your ministry cities, resources or spaceships undefended and open to capture by an ally, or by your own forces once your term of office is over. This is a devious way of transferring ministry property to the control of your house.

11. You may not use ranged space bombardment against an unspotted hex, to find out whether there are enemy units there. If you attempt to bombard an empty hex, the game gives you an error message, but it doesn't cost you a movement point. So in theory you could bombard every hex of a planet, to see which ones are occupied. It is OK to bombard unknown cities. Similarly, you may not attempt to land a spaceship in a hex and then cancel the landing, just to see if there's anything there.

17. You may not attack an orbit square which contains no spotted units. This is a sneaky way of checking to see whether another player has unspotted ships (especially stealth ships) there.

20. You may not land combat units on Leagueheim until the turn after you go to war with the League. For example, you could bombard Leagueheim one turn and land the next turn. It's OK to land transports without combat units any time. This is to give the League a fair chance to defend themselves. Otherwise, it's too easy to steal their ships and other goodies

21. Similarly, you may not land combat units on Holy Terra until the turn after you go to war with the Church.

24. The program seems to treat resource deposit markers as cities for some purposes, so air units can refuel in these hexes, and naval transports can unload their cargo in an ocean hex containing a resource marker. You may not make use of this bug.

26. If a player offers you a contract, asking you for more money than you currently possess, you must reject it. Otherwise, due to a bug, he would receive the full amount asked for - the extra money appears out of nowhere!

27. Always unload your transport spaceships (Freighters, Bulk Haulers and Space Carriers) when they end their turn on the ground. A land hex containing a Freighter, Bulk Hauler or Space Carrier with a unit on board cannot be attacked (except by Ranged Space Bombardment), and this bug could be exploited to make a hex immune to attack.

33. If any units in a stack are involved in combat, then all units in the stack have a chance of promotion (Green to Experienced, or Experienced to Elite). You may not exploit this fact to deliberately get units promoted without risking them in combat. However, you don't have to go out of your way to avoid it.

35. You may not disband Nobles, Blademasters, Scepters and Relics. The game does not normally allow you to do this, but there is a bug which makes it possible, and there are circumstances in which it could be beneficial, such as to prevent them from being captured.

38. If a player offers you a contract, asking you for a planet map that you do not possess, you must reject it. A bug allows you to give away maps you do not possess.

39. During a single Regency (the time between two elections), you may not promise more than one Ministry to the same House, or the same Ministry to more than one House. Nor may you promise your votes to more than one House. There are bugs which allow these situations to be exploited.

40. The Regent may not declare himself Emperor in an election year. If he does so, the usual 10 turn delay before he becomes Emperor is not enforced.

Those rules I excluded either don't apply (the Church in Hyperion is weak and there will be no comuter-controlled Houses) or IMO take more away from the game than they add, if you disagree just post so.

Let's see where were we? We have House rules (the bugs above) and Trait picking- What map should we use, I like the Hyperion version of the original but any would be fine- theoretically. So all that's left is how to play PBEM...

OK, no post anywhere in the forums or the webring (2 hours of my life that should have been spent doing physics homework...) on how to play PBEM. So I started trying things and I figured it out. I cannot say I am happy but-

So whoever wants to be Li Halan has to start and set up the game. I had my heart set on Decados so it looks like I'll be going third if two of you have Hyperion mod, and Horiginal14.gal (rename it Galaxy.gal and put it in their main folder). This should be ringing bells as in if you're familiar with this then you can start the game, although everyone will have to have these settings to make the game compatible. The problem is I don't know how familiar everyone is with Hyperion and EFS itself. Basically Li Halan will start the game choosing settings:
(~my suggestions:

Food off (with a 20 unit limit and transports that carry 4 units it is a pain in the ass to waste a whole slot on food...)

Plague on (?)

Universal warehouse on (once again, real pain to have it off- the game is simply more fun like this)

Rebellions on (otherwise no real point in having an economy since money will be no object...)

PBEM on (...)

all players beginners (since it only effects trait picking and we do that on the honor system way back at the beginning of this book- er, i mean post.

show tutorials off (not important)

combat reports on (personally i like to know my units were attacked)

security off (don't know what it does)

and all players set to human (the brain)

you should also select "historical" in the first window (if you don't the map won't be used and the random generator will sometimes put stigmata such that the symbiot are free from the start of the game and while it might be fun to see if five humans can come together and fight back the symbiot it's not what this game is about- plus I believe in Horiginal Li Halan is the only house with any real advantage and it is not large)~)

After choosing the settings we all agree on, Li Halan will then chooser his/her own portrait and traits and then play its first turn. Then, if PBEM isn't off, at the end of your turn you will be prompted to save the game- send that save game on to the player who has chosen Hazat and they will play their first turn (portrait and traits selected) and do the same passing it on to Decados (me, hopefully) etc... I think we should have a 24 hour rule so that anyone holding a turn for longer than 24 hours should be skipped (player preceding him/her would start his turn hit end turn and then pass that save file on to the next player) just to keep things going, maybe less since that would mean one turn every five days, but i predict the early turns go by a good deal quicker than that.

I don't know if all that was needed by everyone but I figure the faster we all get on the same page the sooner we can start this game.

<small>[ 20.03.2006, 00:46: Message edited by: Mjolnir420 ]</small>

Harlekin
Tank commander

Postby Harlekin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:02 am

sounds fine for me :)

p.s.
i would like to take the hazat..^^

Mjolnir420
Fighter pilot

Postby Mjolnir420 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:13 am

how many trait points do you think we should use?

Harlekin
Tank commander

Postby Harlekin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:12 pm

hmm not too much i think, what about max 4 positv traitpoints ?

lycurgus33
Tank commander

Postby lycurgus33 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 pm

So it's Hyperion and Horiginal14.gal.... that's the one that's installed when the Hyperion patch is installed? Or a custom one?

I'd like to play Hawkwood btw.

kjh
Fighter pilot

Postby kjh » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:02 pm

4 positive is good.(its (intermediate lvl)

Consume food-> must be on, with universal werhouse u don't need to carry food with stack on transport.

Secure PBEM also schould be on.

I would like to play Li Halan

When do we start?

Mjolnir420
Fighter pilot

Postby Mjolnir420 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:04 pm

I don't think it comes with the new hyperion patch (1.4) cause i know i started one game with that patch and had a negative income of like 15000 but you can download it on the Hyperion site (i would recommend just to double-check things) and it is more balanced tho there will still be cash flow problems in the early stages- something you can do: sell your food to the league as long as they let you (eventually they realize it is worthless) to help boost your bankroll since food is off

edit-> im down with food on, esp. since as kyrdian pointed out it is universal warehouse (what was i thinkin) so since youre li halan kyrdian you can go ahead and do your turn as described in teh longer post and then Harlekin will have to PM you his e-mail so you can send him the savegame file that your turn creates (or every1 could PM one of us their email addresses and he could PM every1's to all)

so the only houses left are Al-Madik

Return to “Opponents wanted”