New Game on vanilla EFS 1.4

MP related, ...

Moderator: Sukayo

swordsaint
Fighter pilot

Postby swordsaint » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:46 pm

I still haven't gotten the save file. Who has it at the moment?
Chronomancy: the art and science of divining the appropriate time for an act.

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:03 pm

I've yet to ever receive a turn.

LeperColony
Assault Legionnaire

Postby LeperColony » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I just got my turn (Decados) and completed it. It's off to the Hawkwood now.

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:07 pm

I sent the turn on to al-Malik. Also, expect to get a message from me with "To the Lord". Sadly whenever I press a key that has a hotkey, it will execute said hotkey. So I typed an s and it automatically sent. I'll have to post any messages on the forum unless I find away around that.

To the Lords of the known worlds:

I, Lord Korlin, have succeeded my father as ruler of the Hawkwood. We wish peace and prosperity to all the noble lords and ladies of the universe. But be warned, you will know nothing but regret should you cross us.

-Lord Korlin of house Hawkwood

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Turn is sent to Li-Halan
you all should receive a message from my house's news agent ;)

the problem with the hotkeys can be resolved by pressing the hotkey once when you are in the efs program. For example

pressing alt when ingame to stop the s key sending a message.

Also, make sure you select all the house when you send a message; I believe none are selected by default.

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 am

I think this topic is the most activity these forums have seen in the last hundred years.

swordsaint
Fighter pilot

Postby swordsaint » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 am

Hehe probably! :)

Well I am enjoying this game... I'm actually looking forward to that remake of the game. If it was strictly based on the Fading Suns universe then it would really be something else...

LeperColony
Assault Legionnaire

Postby LeperColony » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 am

I think the remake is dead in the water. Nobody has heard from the developer in more than a year, I believe.

swordsaint
Fighter pilot

Postby swordsaint » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:56 am

That's a shame. I wish I had the programming skills to help, but unfortunately my skills are elsewhere. Well, at least we have the roleplaying game, that is something (and with effort one can incorporate large battles and kingdom management into it).

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 pm

I know some C++ but I'm not very good at it...yet. It's my ultimate goal to one-day remake EFS, just like it is, but with better balance, bug fixes, and improved AI. Things like sect not mattering bugs me. I'd like to make rebels able to build units and cities so they become stronger the longer you leave them alone. Those kinds of things. Same graphics and music. Of course this could be ten years down the line, but since programming is my field, and I'm a die-hard EFS fan, someday I'll do it.

I have a few questions for our game:

Are we abstaining (or voting for ourselves) to prevent a first-term regent, as per house rules?

We can use freighters and bulk haulers to transport fighters/bombers, right? As long as we don't use them to attack that turn.

swordsaint
Fighter pilot

Postby swordsaint » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Yes, the rules say that we must abstain the first turn and yes, we can carry fighters with bulk haulers without attacking at the same turn.

As for remaking EFS, I wonder why holistic hasn't done anything all these years...

swordsaint
Fighter pilot

Postby swordsaint » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Okay guys, someone doesn't seem to have followed the rules. Nick Cav's units all have 80% loyalty. This also makes me suspect that he also picked traits, considering his immense growth in cities in so little time (city loyalty 100% without tax decrease). What do we do?

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 pm

hey whoever thinks I cheated is just an idiot. What happened was I lowered my taxes etremelylow so my loyalty would go up, second, I sent most forces to Vera Cruz on ships during my first turn.

Also, as for cheaters, I would like to know how Purple(Li Halan) has just landed at my home planet with 2 Cruisers and 3frigates. ...your onlygiven 1 cruiser and 2 frigates at the onset of the game.

So for anyone who thinks I am cheating, then maybe youd like me to screenshot my traits screen, or mabe you should just have faith that I explored a second planet and captured cities as fast as possible.

I wouldlike an explanation of how Li Halan acquired such ships so fast, and also why they are at my home planet.
Will not pass on my turn until someone responds.

Nick Cav
Space Legionnaire

Postby Nick Cav » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Shot at 2010-04-10
Shot at 2010-04-10

Russell
Noble

Postby Russell » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Nick, you can capture those ships from ruins. It's not possible to just make units appear, or alter the dat files without the rest of the players being warned. So by the very nature of him having those ships, it cannot be considered cheating. There's about a 10% chance that the ruins contain one cruiser, one frigate and two assault landers. As for why they're at your home planet, that's for you to decide and negotiate within the context of the game. There is no rule against attacking other players, especially if you have good fortune from ruins early in the game.

When he said you aren't following the rules because your units are at 80% loyalty, he is being accurate. We have agreed to play by the following rules for many reasons outlined in the topic:

http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/houserules.htm

7. No changing unit pay. If players can increase their units' loyalty to 100%, it makes officers irrelevant.

From the sounds of it, this is the only rule you breached. My cities are also at 100% loyalty from decreasing taxes, that is within the rules. But units at 80% loyalty is against the rules, so you should lower their pay to get it back to 75%. Higher loyalty decreases their chance to rout and is an unfair advantage. The unit pay system as a whole is pretty buggy so we should not mess with it. City tax and tithe are fine to mess with.

Vera Cruz is not a difficult planet to capture. I have played Hazat in a historical galaxy and had everyone gang up on me because my city growth was fastest. Both of you just need to accept neither is cheating, all that's been done wrong is Nick raised unit pay by 5% and should lower it back down.

Return to “Opponents wanted”