origins of the Fading Suns Universe

Settings, background, books - all the things around which are not only the PC game.

Moderator: Russell

Test
Fighter pilot

Re: origins of the Fading Suns Universe

Postby Test » Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:24 am

Ahh it just accured to me where the Hawkwood name was taken from ( most likely )...the Habsburg family.<P>Hawk's Castle....
Oh!

Shooter
Tank commander

Postby Shooter » Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:50 pm

I'm new, and I've just been catching up on my reading (perhaps a little late)<P>But I was always inclined to agree with Russel regarding the creative origins of the houses. I'd also thought there were some distinct similarities with Dune.<P>The conversation also puts me in mind of the alien races. The savage, animalistic Symbiots and the technologically superior Vau in my mind are characteristic of two trends of aliens common in science fiction.<P>With the Symbiots, there are of course the Alien movies. There is also the "Zerg" from Starcraft and from the "Tyranids" from the popular Warhammer 40k miniature series.<P>Similarly with the Vau, there are the "Protoss" from Starcraft and the "Elder" from Warhammer 40k.

AXiN
Infantery

Postby AXiN » Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:00 am

A lot of the EFS history reminds me of the Warhammer 40,000 backstory - insanely powerful church, mankind slowly regressing technologically, etc. In fact, EFS would almost slot in to the 40k storyline in the bit between the end of the Golden Age and the beginning of the apocalyptic war that killed off most of humanity. The major differences would be the pitiful weakness of the alien races, the existence of independant human realms, and the lack of a force representing evil(40k has 2!). Although i can see the links to Medieval and Renaissance Europe, they aren't exactly uncommon links. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Shooter
Tank commander

Postby Shooter » Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:18 pm

Funny you should say that, I've been looking at the work done by Terry Duchastel who (to my knowledge) first came up with the idea of a WH40K mod. <P>I'd like to think that the possiblity of a WH40K mod being worthwhile is quite high. I've been doing some early research into the format this mod could take. I agree that the period after the Horus Heresy would be the best time setting. <P>Some of the houses would corresponde nicely;<BR>Al-Malik: Imperial Fists<BR>Hawkwood: Ultramarines<BR>Decados: Dark Angels<BR>Hazat: Blood Angels<BR>Li Halan: Space Wolves<P>The Church would be pretty much translate into EFS without difficulty. I'm still a little hazy about the ministries, but the grey knights and the sisters of battle would also fit into the equation somehow :) <P>... but the potential for the aliens is the interesting part.. the eldar and tyranids are obvious choices as vau and symbiots resectively. But some interesting possibilities exist here. Perhaps the orcs could replace the tyranids for a WAAGGHH!!! scenario? Chaos could place the role of chaos, but with a much larger profile (in consideration of the scenario). I'm not sure how the league fit in, maybe as a rogue space marine chapter?<P>Well, that's my earliest ideas, formulated on vague, distant memories of when I used to own some Codexs and books and what I've found on the internet. Sorry to digress from the topic here, but if anyone has any ideas, please don't hesitate to email me (I'm on holidays now ;) )

Shooter
Tank commander

Postby Shooter » Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:39 pm

....I mean... Chaos could lay the role of the Rebels from EFS (woops)

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:51 am

Wow, sounds interesting, though I know next to nothing about Warhammer 40k :)<P>BTW - You can edit posts, one of those icons lets you do it (piece of paper with pencil on it, I think it's the rightmost one).<P>- Deathifier

zmeiat joro
Infantery

Postby zmeiat joro » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:40 pm

I like the futuristic parts of EFS, the ones from past history such as Orthodox Church sometimes are a little Cliche, but I think they fit in perfectly.
What do you mean 'past history'? :confused:

Maur13
Assasin

Postby Maur13 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:24 pm

Zmeiat, any chance you are from Paradox EU forums?

zmeiat joro
Infantery

Postby zmeiat joro » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:01 pm

I knew you were the same guy :D
Of course I am. So how did you guess, was it only the nickname or the style also? :D

Apollon
Infantery

Postby Apollon » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:09 pm

hehe, here's another one from the paradox forums :)
and i agree with you, maur13, that the EFS background is much like the HRE.

zmeiat joro
Infantery

Postby zmeiat joro » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:32 pm

I agree too. Don't we all love the HRE btw? :)

Maur13
Assasin

Postby Maur13 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:44 pm

Judging from your member numbers, you joined recently... what brings you to this desolate place from sprawling EU forums? :D

I'm quite amazed, actually. In past two months, the max number of people currently browsing forum was 2. Now, it's 3!

Zmeiat, name only. Sorry, hard to guess your style from one sentence. Not to mention your name is rather unique.

Ah, btw, Apollon, i still think Rocky shouldn't have discarded avians as possible civilized race :D

zmeiat joro
Infantery

Postby zmeiat joro » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:26 pm

Well, I love EFS and I have been checking out these forums even before I started posting on the EU forums :) The universe is truly great isn't it?

BTW about the alienh thread on the EU forums, I am amased how they start to look more and more like the MOO3 forums before the fatal 1st april (may they RIP). But I won't go into the topic here we don't want to clone the discussions from tehre here... Do we? :)

bfkeil
Infantery

Postby bfkeil » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:13 am

About Harkonnen and stealth:

I think the Harkonnen are quite stealthy... "wheels within wheels." The subversion of Dr. Yueh, the framing of the Atreides for the attack on the Tleilaxu, the secret hordes of spice...

The similarities are undeniably there.

Kargard
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Kargard » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:25 pm

Myself i always saw Harkonnens as undeniably brutal and ham-fisted in everything they did,and the stealth ship framing was much more complicated and delicate then anything id expect of them..i think Herbert's son little overshot there..

So if we are talking original dune here,Harkonnen's were largely fighter's first,with a great sense for finding possible treachery (getting imperial forces to attack along with them,forcing Yueh to cooperate) - however,they never struck me as true cloak-and-dagger types,which is how Decados are portraited..

Return to “Fading Suns”