Phoenix announcements

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Phoenix announcements

Postby flowerpot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 am

Hi,

(since Richard and I are now flooding the "exe replacement" topic under "Fixing it ourself" with development messages and since Phoenix is perhaps starting to look like a proper clone/remake I will open this thread to announce new releases of Phoenix.)

Phoenix releases can be downloaded from here

https://github.com/joulupunikki/Phoenix/releases

A very barebones website is here (the only attraction is a link to a youtube video with
phoenix running)

http://joulupunikki.github.io/Phoenix/

I don't recommend contributing but if you absolutely must hack the sources the proper Phoenix git repository can be cloned with git with the following command

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/joulupunikki/Phoenix.git Phoenix
Netbeans is used to develop Phoenix so you should use that to hack the sources. Also, on windows you should set git autocrlf to properly handle line endings with the following command in git bash

Code: Select all

git config --global core.autocrlf true

Version 0.8.3 released

This is mostly a bugfix release. The most important change is to use -Xss32m instead of -Xss99m as java cmd line option to prevent out of memory errors. Also, since the mouse wheel planet map to space map transition was not actually documented anywhere anymore and since I should support EFS features a space button has been added to planet window. Click on space button to move to star map window. Versions 0.8.2 and 0.8.1 exist in the git repository but they were premature so no source or jar releases were made for them.

Changes

Added space button to planet window.

Changed hex grid color to darker gray.

Bugfix: java cmd line options: use -Xss32m instead of -Xss99m to prevent out of memory errors especially during saving and loading. Thanks to RSW.

Bugfix: Nova mod datafiles are supported.

Bugfix: loading of datafiles will log failures to read files.

Bugfix: java: loading and saving games will catch throwables.

Errors, exceptions and failures to read data files will be logged to phoenixlog.txt. Previous log will be saved to phoenixlog.txt.1.
Last edited by flowerpot on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:58 pm

This took longer than expected but a new release is out, Version 0.9.1. The download link is in the first post. In short, resources, unit building and research & technologies are implemented.

New in version 0.9.1 (and 0.9.0)

There is a bug in Hyperion 1.4g which prevents Phoenix from loading DAT/UNITSPOT.DAT. In UNITSPOT.DAT line 67 reads ` "desert" "2.0 1.0 2.2.0.0 1.0 0.5 2.0 0.5 1.0 1.0"` when it should be ` "desert" "2.0 1.0 2.0 2.0 1.0 0.5 2.0 0.5 1.0 1.0"` ie there is a dot between the Trd and Air columns which makes Phoenix choke. Correct this and Hyperion should start.

Also in Hyperion 1.4g remember to replace UNIT.DAT with UNIT3.DAT to enable building of advanced units. This must be done before a game is started since Phoenix loads datafiles only once during program start.

Resources implemented. Primary resource harvesting and secondary resource production implemented by RSW. Resource icons and resource amount display added to planet window and build panel. Click on a resource icon in planet window to see resource production and consumption statistics. Resource amount on planet window shown in red if planetary (galactic if universal warehouse on) resource consumption exceeds production. Note that since messages are not fully implemented yet you won't be notified if you lack the necessary resources for secondary production.

Food consumption implemented by RSW.

Unit building implemented. To build select "orders"->"build units" form menubar or use standard EFS methods. Differs from standard EFS in that on the lower left of the build window you have a list of planets where you have cities. Select planet by clicking and then on the lower right a list of cities on the planet will be displayed. Select a city by clicking and you will have EFS style selection of buildable units on the upper left and on the upper right you have a build queue. Only units for which you have required technologies will be buildable. If you click on the build button in planet window or city window the planet and city will be pre-selected so that the current city will be used. Double click on units to add to the build queue. Double click on units in the build queue to remove units from the build queue. If resources necessary to build unit are missing the unit will be shown red in the selection of buildable units. If the input unit is missing the unit will be shown in white. It is possible to queue units for which you don't have enough resources or input units. In such a case the city build queue will be put on hold and the first unit in the queue will be shown in gray color. Units will be built on city hex or immediately surrounding hexes if city hex is full. If all hexes are full production will be delayed by one turn. Note that since messages are not fully implemented yet you won't be notified when building is completed.

Research and technologies implemented. To research select "orders"->"research" form menubar. Research works more or less as in standard EFS except that all labs are assigned as one. Doubleclick on technologies to assign labs. There is currently no announcement on the research screen if research is completed immediately after lab assignment. Note that since messages are not fully implemented yet you won't be notified at beginning of your turn if research is completed.

Manowitz archives implemented. Manowitz works as in standard EFS except for the previous button which takes you to the beginning of the previous chapter.

PHOENIX/PHOENIX.INI file introduced to contain configurable game parameters beyond those in EFS.INI.

Currently Phoenix has a Wizard mode menu to aid in testing. You can get all techs, 999 of all resources on current planet or randomize the RNG.

Currently the double red triangle button in planet and space windows goes through cargo pods instead of all faction units.

Holsety
Infantery

Postby Holsety » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Some epic progress since version 3 :D

Very glad to see you're still working on this!
The new unit build menu blew my mind (in the best of ways).

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:48 am

Hey flowerpot, I send you an email to your github nickname cutting the funny suffix. Hope it gets to you. If not could you provide me with one? I'm really interested to chat a bit.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:16 am

Holsety wrote:Some epic progress since version 3 :D

Yeah, I have gotten farther than I thought I would :D
Holsety wrote:Very glad to see you're still working on this!
The new unit build menu blew my mind (in the best of ways).

Well, in my first post to this forum I said "Exe replacement meaning i would try to recreate efs.exe functionality using existing datafiles, minus the bugs, plus some modern wargame features." so I'm trying to deliver those modern wargame features. :) The research screen on the other hand is almost exactly as in EFS. Some more modern graph display would be better. But EFS (or Phoenix) has fully customizable technologies so I can't build a neat looking fixed graph display ...

cy387_lk wrote:Hey flowerpot, I send you an email to your github nickname cutting the funny suffix. Hope it gets to you. If not could you provide me with one? I'm really interested to chat a bit.

I got your mail and sent you a reply.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sat May 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Version 0.10.0 released

The link to the downloads is in the first post. In short city building and capture works, PBEM works, messages partially implemented, cargo loading at ocean shores works and cargo pod splitting and joining works.

New in this version

City capture with planetside units implemented.

City building by engineers implemented. Road building not yet possible. Select "Orders" -> "Build City" when an engineer is selected.

PBEM with mandatory security implemented. Includes passwords and datafile integrity checking. Password revocation feature also included. If at least three factions are human controlled then at the start of a players turn, instead of entering the password, password revocation sequence of the current player may be initiated by pressing the "password revocation" button. Dialog will be then displayed querying the revocation action which may be either password zeroing or setting faction to computer control. After that the revocation sequence is initiated by saving the game. The revocation sequence is like a full year of pbem game except that instead of playing their turn each human player other than the one who is the target of the revocation will be asked for their password to confirm the revocation. When the last player gives their consent by giving their password the sequence completes and the password of the target player will be zeroed and thus when the target player's turn comes he will be asked for a new password. Or if computer control was selected as revocation action the target player's faction will be permanently set to computer control. PBEM game resumes normally from this point onwards.

Messages partially implemented. Selecting "messages"->"read messages" from menubar will bring up messages window. Messages accumulated since the end of your previous turn will be listed in a table. Double click on the "message" column to show message details. Read messages are displayed in light gray color. Currently only combat reports are viewable. The "location" column will show the planet (and possibly coordinates on planet) where the message originates. Click on the "location" column to goto the message origin. All events are not properly messaged eg. there is currently no message for research completed.

When units are at shoreline, loading and unloading of cargo at ocean shores works more or less as in original EFS. You can currently load air units as normal cargo.

Cargo transfer dialog implemented. In stack window/unit info window drag and drop cargo pods onto each other to join them and to empty slots to split them.

Galaxy name parameter for command line must be either GALAXY.GAL or GAL\<galaxyname> so you can have a GAL directory containing galaxy files.

Wizard mode can be turned on and off in PHOENIX/PHOENIX.INI. Default off.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Version 0.50.0 released

The link to the downloads is in the first post. A barebones website is "up", the link is in the first post. The only attraction there is a link to a youtube video with Phoenix 0.50.0 running.

New in this version

(Notice: previous published release version was numbered 0.10.2. Published version numbers between 0.10.2 and 0.50.0 do not exist, they were skipped.)

Faction relations partially implemented. May be at war or peace. If your action would result in attacking non-hostiles, a confirmation will be required. At game start, all relations are peaceful except: the rebels are permanently at war with the five great houses; the symbiots are permanently at war with everybody.

Orbital bombardment and PTS defence fire with Ranged Space capable units implemented. Currently, all PTS units within 5 hexes will fire on hostiles landing or bombarding.

House window partially implemented. Tax, tithe skim and unit pay may be set. Taxes are collected, units are paid and ending your turn is not allowed if your firebirds would go to negative.

Diplomacy window partially implemented. Currently, you may conduct diplomacy only between the five great houses. Currently, only peace and firebirds may be selected as contract terms. Sent contracts and replies are viewable in Messages.

Byzantium II window functionally complete. Regent elections are held and resolved, regents are appointed, regent must ensure all ministeries are occupied and newly elected regents may shuffle offices. Regent may declare emperor, and if they win two emperorship elections they are crowned emperor. To vote, click on vote button in Byzantium II window, click on house banner to vote for that house, click on abstain button to abstain. To assign ministries, click on ministry banner.

Agora trade partially implemented. When selected, League agoras display trade button, press this to buy resources. Move cargo pods to League agoras to sell resources. May not trade if at war with League.

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:24 am

(Cross posting myself from another thread)

Speaking of implementing more game features, I have never done PBEM myself (other than testing), and I have only played EFS1.4 (Hyperion 1.4g) thru once (exploiting the one Noblesse Elitesse super noble you get at start), thus I may not be the best authority on what features should be absolutely implemented for a minimally playable single/multi-player EFS. So any input from the community would help me prioritize. Latest list of features missing from the development/next version of Phoenix is here

Label features you consider essential as "High Importance", somewhat important "Medium Importance" and low priority as "Low Importance". If you don't label a feature, it will be considered "Undecided Importance". Post your list here, or comment directly on the issue on github (requires registration.)

We currently have one community "vote" for feature importance, by Eightball Maniac

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Re: Phoenix announcements

Postby flowerpot » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Version 0.51.0-alpha available

Phoenix-0.51.0-alpha "Warlock" clone/remake/port/patch of/for EFS is now available at https://github.com/joulupunikki/Phoenix/releases

This is a self-contained windows exe installer, no need to install/configure java separately. Install video is on youtube.

Phoenix is now tentatively going to public alpha stage. Ruins and monasteries are not yet implemented but almost all other EFS1.4 features are complete. In principle, everything necessary to play PBEM games should now be included in Phoenix. There is no AI, but the Church will auto excommunicate you if you are at war with them, and the League will not trade with you (you can't even auto buy when building units like in EFS1.4) However, no extensive play testing has been done. All League agora resources are reset every couple of turns. When destroying/capturing enemy units/cities the value of the lost assets is added to a damage counter which is shown (in kilo FB so damages of 15.3 kFB means 15300 firebirds) in the diplomacy screen. To successfully sue for peace you must offer a compensation of at least this much firebirds.

I have never asked anyone to really try Phoenix, so it would be good to have some aficionados try this for 5 minutes and (assuming it doesn't crash) tell me what you think: would you consider using Phoenix instead of EFS.EXE to play your games ?
A concerned warlock gives you 3 technologies to even your odds against the other houses, and disappears into the wilderness. Of course, he may have a favor to ask you in the future...

flowerpot
Assault Legionnaire

Postby flowerpot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Version 0.52.0-alpha available

Phoenix-0.52.0-alpha "Alpha test #1" clone/remake/port/patch of/for EFS is now available at https://github.com/joulupunikki/Phoenix/releases

New in version 0.52-alpha

Static ocean shore, river and soft tile edge graphics by Charles Keil
Archives: City info (column sortable and with access to build queues by d-click)
Fix #84, UIW selection hotspot conformance
Customize mouse input to conform more with EFS1.4

A short test multiplayer game is planned, hence the name "Alpha test #1". The invitation is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161321.0
A concerned warlock gives you 3 technologies to even your odds against the other houses, and disappears into the wilderness. Of course, he may have a favor to ask you in the future...

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 pm

AFAIK the last update was 0.60.0 alpha 1, august 2017
https://github.com/joulupunikki/Phoenix/releases

Thanks for the job. Long time since my last EFS game.

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am

The changelog since last update in this forum, so from 0.52.1 (December 2016) to 0.60.0 (august 2017) as the last comented in thhis forum was 0.52.0, (October 2016).
  • 0.52.1-alpha (5 Dec 2016): UI fixess, bug fixes #94, #95 (you can check bugs numbers in github)
  • 0.52.2 ?
  • 0.52.3-alpha (18 Jan 2017):Fix #100, #102, #103, #104 and #105. Ruins and Monasteries work, but Alien Ruins generate same stacks of guardians as normal Ruins. Graphics added/tuned here and there.
  • 0.52.4-alpha (29 Jan 2017):Fix #105 CIW NPE Previous fix introduced an NPE when we try to save a null selected point
  • 0.52.5-alpha (6 Mar 2017):Fix #108 #111 #112 #113 #114 #115 #116 #117
  • 0.60.0-alpha (4 Aug 2017) :Fix #118 #119 #120 #122. FLIC-videos of units working

There are a pair of commits after 0.60.0 with AI bugfixes.

I 've begun a game (some years since last time I played) with Phoenix 0.60.0 + Emperors Wars 3.5a and seems to work OK

Return to “EFS Clone”