Kickstart a Clone

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

How much would you pay to kickstart an EFS clone?

$10
25%
$20
25%
$50
No votes
$100
25%
More
25%
Nothing
No votes

Total votes: 4

Azathoth
Infantery

Kickstart a Clone

Postby Azathoth » Tue May 20, 2014 11:45 pm

I wonder how much crowd-funding an EoTFS clone project would generate. Could we hire a proven independent or open-source game-maker with a track-record of completed, quality projects?

It might be possible if we didn't demand a whole wish-list of features and instead aim for a very spartan, bare-bones re-make of EoTFS written in a modular, open source fashion (source code available for editing & re-compilation) specifically intended to foster more extensive & accessible modding, graphics changes, and changes to core dynamics.

Community modders could work wonders with a more 'plastic' core game.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:00 am

IMO the most "correct" strategy would be to update the latest EFS release to be able to run it under OpenGL/DX9. I mention OpenGL here since the original version was made in DX3 and this means that the mentioned update would require a complete rewriting of all DX/GDI related components, so there's no big difference which API to use.

Once this task is done the project could be easily ported a mobile platform and/or extended to improve graphics, logic, etc.

The original EFS source code is available so there's no need to reinvent the wheel, at least in the beginning.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

disk failure
Infantery

Postby disk failure » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:41 pm

cy387_lk wrote:The original EFS source code is available so there's no need to reinvent the wheel, at least in the beginning.

EFS source code is available? Could you please tell us where we could find it?

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 pm

It's available for those who signed the NDA with the HDI, this applies for almost every old member of the EFS community. Currently I'm responsible for the EFS v1.4 and v1.5 source code repository maintenance.

If you have some concrete ideas I could arrange your NDA with the HDI, though the guys there are somewhat slow to answer and it may take a month or two.

The main problem here is money. I have a guy (who considers himself a real C/C++ whore and could rewrite the whole game engine in 2-3 months) right here available at any moment. But most of us have full time jobs, while EFS code refactoring requires considerable effort. So the bottom line is: if we'd have money we could have some "paid" time to do some developing/refactoring. The people needed for that job is already here and won't go anywhere.

Edit:
And just to define some estimate numbers, the approximate price to rebuild the engine (based on our original source code studies and estimated hours required for the job) would be around $4,000.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...

("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Return to “EFS Clone”