Has some questions

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

MooneyMJ
Infantery

Has some questions

Postby MooneyMJ » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:07 pm

Glad to hear that EFS is not dead. Long time fan of the RP game and of the computer game. I do have some questions and some follow up.

Ok so this is a "Clone" and not a remake. Does this mean the game is the same and just the code behind it is reworked?

What was the reason behind doing this (curious)?

Will it come out as patches or a full game?

Any insight would be appreciated. And yes I do have so Ideas (some big ones).

Deathifier
Noble

Re: Has some questions

Postby Deathifier » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:52 pm

Heya,
Good to see another person around :)

The idea behind the clone is to basically recreate the game as we have it but in a form that lets us tweak features, increase modability, improve the AI and generally improve in small ways upon the game.

What was the reason behind doing this (curious)?
The reason we're taking this approach is mainly because everybody seemed content with how EFS plays in general and that deviating too much towards different approaches may take away from the feel of the game.
That said the current concept of the game engine seems to be make it as versatile as possible, so it's quite possible you could create vastly different game styles with the same engine core. However that turns out is highly dependant on who writes it, and at the moment I'm not entirely sure who is doing what code wise.

Will it come out as patches or a full game?
Something resembling a 'full game', and certainly not a patch to the existing EFS game.

Any insight would be appreciated
There's been a fair amount of discussion on the various topics that lead to the current sticky topics (wish list and reason for being here) so check those out for a start.

If you have any ideas that haven't already been tackled in one form or another then by all means put up some new threads and see how they go!

Again I have no idea where the code is at and I won't be doing anything about rectifying that situation for another month or two whilst uni finishes. 'Course if I don't get a job shortly after that I may well write most of it myself if only to have a great platform to demonstrate my AI skills in :)

- Deathifier

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:06 pm

Hi, here are some answers from my perspective.

What the game will be depends who you ask and whose game you play. There are several people with differing ideas and views of what the game should be.

Many people want to start by recreating the EFS in a bugfree form and then continue from that. That is a reasonable and the safest bet of ever getting anything completed. EFS is by no means a bad game and with bugs fixed it would be much better.

On the other hand, I just want to create the best space based grand strategy game ever and preferably use the rich background of the Fading Suns but the end product may not have many things in common with EFS. I will borrow the best ideas from every game and come up with new ones that I would like to see.

Besides the common background, I think the common theme is to make the new game engines as moddable as possible. It has clearly been demonstrated with games such as EFS that it is an important feature.

Time will tell which ideas ever get into playable form. Making a game is hard, that's why I have started by trying to improve the way software is written. Later there will be more time to discuss the specific game mechanics ad infinitum.

For practical reasons it will be a full game. There are copyright issues and patching the existing game is pretty much useless. Graphics most certainly need some sort of an upgrade anyway.

I always like to read ideas, however crazy they are :) .

MooneyMJ
Infantery

Postby MooneyMJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:51 am

Just changed name was Matt Mooney.

Ok well I have plenty, pretty well thought out ones not just wishes. Actually had the idea to do it myeself a couple of years back. I will start a thread with the 5 or more concepts I have. I fully expect critique and if they stink throw them out. My biggest thing is for it to feel like Fading Suns and still be a great strategy game.

Return to “EFS Clone”