progress

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

The Infamous Joanne
Infantery

Re: progress

Postby The Infamous Joanne » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:43 pm

What's always been important for me is how the game compares to the Fading Suns Universe. Thus, what would be interesting for me in a remake (which would definitely attract my attention--EFS is nearly the only computer I play) would be the expansion of the core map to include all the Lost Worlds in the RPG literature, and the addition of distinct NPCs to represent some of the larger and more advanced factions thereof.

I would also like for at least the Kurgan Caliphate to be a player country, though perhaps the Vuldrok are to disorganized to consider it; Kurga, however, is not. Another thought is that though the Symbiots have at best one more world beyond the three they're provided with in the original game, the Vau certainly have a large Empire, and perhaps some way should be worked on to allow that to be represented. (A brute force approach, I suppose, would simply be to add even more planets, for sake of simplicity; I have no clue about how to program [ask me trig questions instead] but I imagine that with modern computers and their capacity it wouldn't necessarily be a huge deal to increase the number of planets to, say, 99 or 100, allowing for the representation of the Lost Worlds and some strategic depth for the Vau.)

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:20 pm

Hey, most definitely the other factions should be playable too. Vau as a single faction would most likely be too dominant, though, unless creative rules are made.

A solution to many differences between the factions is to make the goals and scoring systems different for different factions. In Civs you can, for example, win a diplomatic victory, military victory, cultural victory, space race, etc. There can be even more complex conditions and rules to guide the play. The Vau wouldn't normally have a military victory against humans but they would certainly respond to any hostilities. The league secretly tries to form the 3rd Republic etc. House Chauki (if not extinct in your universe) try to regain power.

Also, I would think it would be nice, if smaller factions could be represented such as minor houses. I actually tried to make a small survey of possible different factions. I own more RPG books than I have thoroughly read, so some branches are a bit under represented at the moment.
Big Picture

As for the worlds. Yes, I would like to see all the known worlds... all the "canon" worlds from the books to be represented and optional random worlds in the fringes created. Also, I would like the systems represented complete with other planets and moons.

Grimly
Assasin

Postby Grimly » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:30 pm

I just have one comment, ok, two. Whatever you guys do, please PLEASE do not turn EFS into Orion or Civ or whatever. I don't play those games and I don't want to. Having said that, of course those games do have features EFS does not---but remember that EFS has other features that, IMHO, EFS variant designers have been all too ready to abandon. House traits, anyone?

Second comment: Whatever you guys do, PLEASE do not impose your view of what EFS is on all of us. There are now, what, 4 recognized variants and I'm working on my own. You should at least allow these variants to be adapted to the EFSR in the same way EFS can be modified. Original EFS was crude, but if I don't see House traits, enhanced roleplaying, the ability to be evil, bizarre sects, criminal behavior, and all those elements basic to the EFS concept in the remake, then I want no part of it.

(WARNING---Opinion: Remember that the EFS universe is NOT an industrial one: we have no valid reason to expect it to behave like one. Why automate the building of units? all you're going to get is more units, and that's BORING. If you have too many units to handle, perhaps you should stop trying to conquer the map and declare yourself Emperor, i.e., use the sociopolitical levers you have seized to elevate yourself. Besides, every unit in EFS should be seen as practically handmade and manned by feudal levies, nobles, gentlemen, townsmen, and men raised up from nothing by the Houses. EFS is NOT the USA. In fact, instead of easier building/raising it should be harder: the player should have to go to his feudal lords and demand/wheedle increased taxes and military levies, giving them something in return. THAT would be true EFS.)

I am glad to see that fans of the RPG are involved and want to keep EFS EFS.
Grimly

Return to “EFS Clone”