clone

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

kerick
Infantery

clone

Postby kerick » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:03 am

Hello
I've been around these forums for a long time b/c I love this game and this is a great patch. I never did register cause I'm not a fan of registration :p . Moving on...
Back in the day when you started talking about a clone I had written a good deal of one, until my hdd fried and I lost all my code. Now I find myself wishing for a better EFS, so if there is anyway I can help code or anything send me a message. I know C, C++, Asm, and numerous other languages.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Re: clone

Postby cy387_lk » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:16 am

Nice to hear, we always need good coders :) ).
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

busyme
Infantery

Postby busyme » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:47 pm

I am just curious, where would I put .cpp files into EFS just curious. I want to make vau able to build units, attack, player playeble. Want to make new units for vau. I want to make symboit playable by player, and so the Rebels can build too, and playable too. HollyTerra and LeagueHiem.

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:54 am

busyme: You can't just 'use' code files with EFS, some things can be done with mods, others need source code or very creative EXE hacking.

That was the primary reason the clone project was established, to do things we currently can't :)

- Deathifier

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:48 am

(just remembered) PlanetTest was great. It's a pity there was no more exploit in that direction... :(
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...

("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:24 pm

Hi, and thanks ;) . To be honest Planettest was just a ... test. I have a lot of ideas how it could and should be improved. But lets just say that I have some fundamental issues with how software is currently developed. I'm trying to solve those so that I can build the software I want, including the game. It'll take a long while before I have anything nice to show. At least when it gets going it'll be easy to build much more much quicker than I've ever done before.

Lately I've been thinking that I don't really have a good idea what the game should be like. There are certain good games but which influences to pick ... tough choices.

ForceUser
Tank commander

Postby ForceUser » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:25 pm

It probably depends on what you're planning on doing. Making a new game or making a true clone? A true clone should have as little as possible influenses from outside to keep it true to the original.

ForceUser

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Yes, it depends on that. I think that if an effort is made to start from scratch, it should not be limited by the past. Therefore, my goal is the best space strategy game set in the Fading Suns universe possible, not to recreate EFS. There are other people who can make a clone if they like. And I would play one but I always dream of more :) .

In other words, a clone as in a "recreation of the thing from the past" holds no special value to me in computer games. A new game that is true to the setting however does interest me very much. There are undeniable advances in technology and gameplay to take advantage of.

Lets say there are games like EFS, Star Control II, Master of Magic, Transport Tycoon, Highway To The Reich, King of Dragon Pass that excel in areas such as exploration, resource gathering, quests, setting, warfare, diplomacy, trading and FUN. Can and should these be combined or which should it be like? That depends on the day I guess ;) . Perhaps I should start small...

chalicier
Fighter pilot

Postby chalicier » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:54 am

The single thing I'd appreciate most in an EFS clone would be complete moddability.

Essentially I'd like the core (I mean, really core) EFS engine to be replicated - basic ideas like the star and planet map concepts, sequential turn movement, and so on - and everything else be subject to scripting and data files.
That means graphics, unit data, combat rules, resource types, tech list, everything that is possible. I realise EFS is pretty damn moddable right now, but I'd quite like AI scripting for non-player Houses and the other entities, alterable combat basics, and especially a flexible system for modifying the effects of diplomacy.

If the clone can deliver these, I'm interested.

Return to “EFS Clone”