"Clone Volunters"

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

Deathifier
Noble

Re: "Clone Volunters"

Postby Deathifier » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:40 am

That sounds good, I have ICQ and propose we also use e-mail and if possible get another forum setup.

- Deathifier

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:03 pm

sorry guys, i can't be leader. I don't know how to code and i'm pretty bad at "leading" in general. I will be an "advisor" but certainly not the leader. Better to put some one with lots of experiance in that position. less chance the team wil fall apart in a few months.

heres what i prepose.

leader/Coder:Macroz
Coder:Deathifier
Coder:Revicul
artist:CY387
artist:Zod Martini
coodinator:Garison
coodinator:Puck (webmaser possiblly?)
coodinator:Shocker (webmaster possiblly?)

The leader should be a coder. i'd suggest macroz, he said he has had 10 year experiance coding, meaning he knows how to direct a team of coders, and he is older (and hopefully wiser hehe) meaning hes probbly worked in groups more then i have (me being 16 and inexperianced)

Me Puck and Shocker can help keep the team from running out of ideas, admin the forums , post status reports, keep everyone informed and ,if puck or shocker knows html, get a nice little webpage up (i can html a little bit, like editing, posting messages ect but know to little to put a page up myself.) This gives Puck Shocker and Me a job, and allows the coders and artist to focus on coding and arting (that a word?) and not have to worry to much about keeping everyone else up todate. Me and Puck can handle that.

this brings are ranks to 8. we have 3 coodinators which may seem like alot, but we are going to help alot with planing and such.

<small>[ 24-03-2002, 20:13: Message edited by: Garison ]</small>

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:58 pm

Thanks for the confidence Garison but I'd rather stay slightly in the background for now. I don't have much positive experiences working in voluntary teams, I end up doing all the work. If that's the case, I can work on my own game on my spare time at a leisurely pace, yes ;)

But anyway I'd like to hear what people have in mind about the implementation et al. I think we just need more in-depth talk and some prototyping/experimenting initially rather than very formal methodologies or hierarchies. If we still have enthusiasm to proceed beyond that, great, I'll be part of it.

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:15 am

ok, thats cool.

hows about this then

leader/Coder:Deathifier
Coder:Macroz
Coder:Revicul
artist:CY387
artist:Zod Martini
coodinator:Garison
coodinator:Puck (webmaser possiblly?)
coodinator:Shocker (webmaster possiblly?)

Deathifier was my second pick, and Revicul hasn't been coding very long. If Deathifier refuses then i guess that means the leader will have to be a non-coder.

I understand were you are coming from Macroz i think if we get a basic "engine" down we can get some real working proto-types up. we just have to make it so that its easly edited. the reason , i think, that a nice organized team structure is good now is so that later(when team work becomes crictal) we know who we can count on and get ride of the people who just arn't working before they cause a problem. I'm not trying to imply that any of us are hard to get along with, but some times people change or have hidden feels that can get everyone in trouble.

I do have some leading experiance. I have run a few clans for some First person shooter, none lasted for more then a year because we could never get a full time server. one thing i learnt is never take anyone at face value, it takes at lest a week of everyday chat before a person really opens up. I have never lead a coding team before and thats why i'd rather not try. I have an awful tendancy to trip on my first step of new things.

lastly, as lead coder you would have the most control on how much you did, since you are leading. you say...hmm, i don't think i want to code that, and then hand it over to death hehe. of course you couldn't hog all the "good coding" (if there is such thing) thats what the coordinators, among other things, are for we are the over watchers to make sure nobody is being mis-treated...some people just don't like to say, HEY!I"M DOING TO MUCH WORK!...sooo, last chance unless death disclines.

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:16 am

I'd be happy to lead this project, the only hitch (and I think I mentioned it before) is that I just won't have any time to code much for the next 6 months - my uni workload is just too great this semester and most of them involve plenty of coding :)

So yes, if you are willing to wait some months before the core code of the project can get off the ground then I'd be happy to lead, and can come up with a pile of stuff for us to talk about (with input from the rest of the community) to keep the ball rolling.

A webpage would be very nice, and I can offer up some space on my domain name (there is only around 5MB left in the 'safe' range, that should be enough for just text stuff though) to ensure that it has a nice, reliable, ad-free home :)

- Deathifier

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:07 pm

Garison wrote:
I understand were you are coming from Macroz i think if we get a basic "engine" down we can get some real working proto-types up. we just have to make it so that its easly edited. the reason , i think, that a nice organized team structure is good now is so that later(when team work becomes crictal) we know who we can count on and get ride of the people who just arn't working before they cause a problem.
With the prototypes I meant more testing stuff like what GUI to use, how the file formats work etc. There are many things that can be developed and tried separately. For example somebody could work out the ground combat rules based on EFS experiences and when someone gets down to doing the final code he gets to put tested formulas in. These are all essential so they should be started now (as they can and will benefit from an early start). It doesn't matter if it's a simulation in a spreadsheet... that's prototyping.

then i guess that means the leader will have to be a non-coder.
Just a small comment to this that it all works ok as long as the leader understands he can and should ask the coders when dealing with coding matters. Good coder/leaders ought to consider second opinions too even if they eventually do as they like.

Deathifier
I'd be happy to lead this project, the only hitch (and I think I mentioned it before) is that I just won't have any time to code much for the next 6 months - my uni workload is just too great this semester and most of them involve plenty of coding<
Don't worry, I'm just as busy with school ;) . Well, one of the courses I'm having now involves producing a game prototype and this happens to be a turn-based space game. Whether any of the architecture is usable in an EFS clone remains to be seen.

Some chat session with a few likely developers might be in order as it's so much easier to discuss things than with a bulletin board. It might be hard to come up with a suitable time to suit all but we can always log the stuff and put to web.

Open to suggestions.

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:08 am

i ment "engine" as in the way all the files are going to work, much like you said.....thats why i put it in qoutes hehe. I didn't mean an up and running alpha, i should of been more clear, sorry about that.

So, everyone agree that death will be are leader/coder when the coding starts?

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Revicul » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:58 pm

That great that Death will be the leader. Also a coupole of months would give me more experience coding. =D

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:20 am

hehe, i have a feeling Rev is going to have the most creative coding, just to put all you older coders in your place :p LOL.

hey, we sound like a mercinary group...

Death,Rev,Mac,Shock, Zod Martini, Puck "the duck" johnson(ok,that was creative freedom) ,"The Garrison" and "Big C"

Zod Martini
Infantery

Postby Zod Martini » Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:12 pm

brennan
Fighter pilot

Postby brennan » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:51 pm

Okay, I would ike to help also. Spoken to Macroz already about it.

I only know vb6 and java (more vb6 then java), so the game itself isn't something for me, but the utils are.

Hope I can of assistance :) .

the_elf
Tank commander

Postby the_elf » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:36 pm

I'm getting in a little late, but I would like to help as well. Even if in a more minor, non-official role.

I have no programming experience, but I do understand some of the challenges with coding. Most of what I can offer would be creative: mostly suggestions for how to make the game better.

the__elf@hotmail.com
The Elf

Kosslowski
Infantery

Postby Kosslowski » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:54 pm

Your clone idea sounds interesting to me.
Though I will be very busy the next few years, I could make some minor contributions, too.
Have programming experience with old procedure orientated languages and a rough understanding of object oriented languages like C++ and JAVA.

<small>[ 10-04-2002, 21:05: Message edited by: Kosslowski ]</small>

Lothgoradin
Space Legionnaire

Postby Lothgoradin » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:56 pm

I know that I am comming into this discusion late, but I would like to help. I don't know C very well at the moment, but I am a fast learner if someone can point me to a free site for the materials (budget is very tight right now).

I know that html is very primitive comared to C, but when I set about learning it, I did it on my own and I read and write html in pure code almost fluently. Unfortunately, my websites were on angelfire and geocities and most of them arent active anymore.

I don't have much time or money to put into this at the moment, but what I have is available. Once I learn C (not long once I get the tools to do so), I can break the source code apart and find out what makes it tick.

Correct me if I am wrong, but being an open source now, wouldn't that make it completely legal to do anything we want with it?

I also have a few ideas. My email is in my profile and I can host an MSN chat to figure things out if need be. Let me know whats going on.

The Darkmage

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:34 pm

I don't know C very well at the moment, but I am a fast learner if someone can point me to a free site for the materials.
If you can afford a single book you'll have a much easier time than working off online tutorials.
Try http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/ for reviews on all sorts of C/C++ books.

Other than that searching on google will turn up a tremendous number of hits, some of the "FAQ's" for C/C++ are handy though more in a reference capacity.

Also try to get a copy of MSVC++ for windows, or if you have unix gcc/g++ will work fine. IMO the windows gcc/g++ ports are more trouble then they are worth. That and once you know a bit of the language start using the debugger, makes life insanely easier (as you'll find when you have been using a debugger and then end up in a situation without one).

Correct me if I am wrong, but being an open source now, wouldn't that make it completely legal to do anything we want with it?
Nothing from the original EFS is open source, we haven't even reached the point where we talk to Holistic about the project and it's goals (that comes once we have most of the design done), as we need their blessing to use the EFS trademark and graphics and stuff.

Also chats are held on IRC, one will be scheduled sometime soonish to discuss the current design docs (engine and features, when they are done).

- Deathifier

<small>[ 04-09-2002, 15:35: Message edited by: Deathifier ]</small>

Return to “EFS Clone”