"Clone Volunters"

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

Puck_theprankster
Fighter pilot

"Clone Volunters"

Postby Puck_theprankster » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:10 am

This discusion to see who many people who are willing to work on the clone project and what skills people can share with us. This is NOT a sign-up list for alpha/beta testing. We have a long time until we have to worry about that.

Greg

pandionk
Tank commander

Re: "Clone Volunters"

Postby pandionk » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:37 am

I am very willing to work on the clone project.

Although I have no skills in matter of programming or any of that sort,but I am a decent writer so I could write out words and sentences used in the game

Revicul
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Revicul » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:46 am

i have had a class in visual basic last year, so my vb is rusty. and i am currently in a c++ and java class. these are both first year classes. i am much better at c++ than java.

Revicul

Deathifier
Noble

Postby Deathifier » Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:11 am

I'm here to help!
I know C/C++ very well, am busy learning DirectX 8(specifically graphcis) and have resources from some past projects of mine that can save some time.

I know a little about socket (network) programming, O-O development, and so on.

There's only one minor problem, this semester at uni I have an above-normal workload and a large project to complete so until sometime during July I won't be able to contribute a lot code-wise :(

- Deathifier

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Postby Garison » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:41 am

I have no coding skills and my knowledge base on it is very small, however i can **try** to do some music and some sound effects, i'm a major newb to sounds and the stuff but if your willing to listen to some really crappy effects and music until i get better i'll give it a go.

I'll also admin an EFS II board if we get one, i have done it in the past a few times. do you want me to get a board up for us?

Also, we need to figure out who will run the show, i'd like the lead coder too, since they are going to have the most control over the feel of the game, however we should have a vote system between all the "team members" it will be slow(i'd guess a week on any major issues/features get voted on)but will allow for a more team-like effectiveness, and keep anyone person from droping out of the team due to lack of input.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:07 am

I realy want to help, too!

I can be an artist, I can draw all 2D graphics you'll need. I have a great expiriance in this kind of job. Contact me when you'll need. My E-mail: cy387_lk@hotmail.com.

I'm waiting... :roll:
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Puck_theprankster
Fighter pilot

Postby Puck_theprankster » Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:48 am

Since I started this for voluntering I guess I better list what all I'm willing to do to help.

I've never worked on something as big as this game might get before, I was in a programming course at a tech college here, I know Assembler (might be handy if we want to 'salvage' any code out of the original), C and C++, and I'm teaching myself Visual Basic. I'm a huge fan of gameing in general and see this clone idea as something that could be a interesting and fun hobby.

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:49 pm

I know C++, OpenGL, SDL, ... (if you're really interested, check my page for a more complete list, I don't want to bore you). Been coding for over ten years now so I'm an ideal candidate for the implementation or commenting about implementation issues.

I'm currently quite busy with school but I sure wouldn't mind helping.

Zod Martini
Infantery

Postby Zod Martini » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:12 pm

I'd like to volenteer, so whenever someone is ready with a terrain engine, or is ready to get started on something contact me.

I've been making art for games for years, and EFS is my favorite game, but it's so old now, that I can't get anyone new interested in playing it.

my advice to everyone is keepit simple, EFS is a simple game, and it would be best in the beginning to stay focused.

I've got some suggestions, who is going to be in charge of this? who is going to co-ordinate? 10 people could make an efs clone in under 6 months.

http://www.geocities.com/headbiter/home.html

here's my webpage, I can make beautiful terrain tiles and art.

Puck_theprankster
Fighter pilot

Postby Puck_theprankster » Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:48 am

Zod raised a good point, Who is going to the point man on this project?

I'll throw my hat in the ring for it, I've done some group organizeing in my life but it's always been face to face rather then through email.

Would anyone else like to step forward?

Puck

Zod Martini
Infantery

Postby Zod Martini » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:38 pm

I suggest we have a small core team, maybe 5ish people, 3 coders and 2 art. this would make communication and coordination easier. some dedicated hard hitters, then other volenteers can hook up with the core guys and help out how they can.

http://www.darkent.com/

check out this game, it's a webbased game, free, small team, etc. nice looking. simple. go to "games" on their page, then "Space"

it's a Space 4x game done really well. No AI needed because all the players are human. This may be a good example we could follow if we have anyone who knows this web-programming stuff.

all the art is EFS is compressed in a wierd way. they use icons made from a Dpaint file, with the header info erased. I guess it's to conserve memory, (when I first got EFS, I remember having some memory issues)

I say we use some open file format for all the art. this way we can create placeholder art, then fill in the blanks later on. this will be easiest for volenteer artists, because all someone would need to do is think:; hey I don't like the way those mountains look, I can just make some new mountains in mspaint or photoshop and save them as a pcx (or something) and upload them or mail them to my pals.

the more open-ended and easy it is to modify, the better the game will be in the long run, just take a look at Nova and hyperion. they both did a great job within the tight limits of EFS.

um, sorry if this is too long and rambling, just throwing some ideas out.

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:34 pm

Yeah! Zod Martini has said exactly that I said to Matt . Making a small team is the only way we can create something real. This can tell every person who worked on big programms before.

And I have to repeat:

Klaus : we need another space for working on this project. The Forum is not a place for things of this kind. What do you suggest?

:) As for me now I can do 3D graphics as well.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...

("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:25 pm

A small, tight, dedicated team is always the best. Finding people with the time is the hard part.

What do we have so far?
- Coder 1:
- Coder 2:
- Coder 3:
- Artist 1:
- Artist 2:
- Leader:

Where are we short?

- Shocker.

<small>[ 21-03-2002, 21:27: Message edited by: Shocker ]</small>
Long Live EFS!

Puck_theprankster
Fighter pilot

Postby Puck_theprankster » Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:43 am

Here's an idea. this is useing most of the people that have voluntered, takeing into acount what skills they can bring. just an idea so no flameing please lol

- Coders :Deathifier
- Coders :Macroz
- Coders :Revicul
- Artists :Zod Martini
- Artists :CY387
- Leader: Garison

I would love to push myself for the leader position, but the only programs I've ever done are projects for my classes. I've never worked on anything this big, or in a group like this.

Puck

Macroz
Space Legionnaire

Postby Macroz » Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:10 am

Sure, I can participate.

I suggest people get either AIM or ICQ as it may be the most convenient way to keep in touch (my accounts are in my profile).

Return to “EFS Clone”