Clone started

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

sect control

Postby BrodieBrodie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:23 am

thanks Kosh2. Well? what do you think so far?

----
re sect control

while looking at the influences of town bonus workers (preparing the code for this future addition) i noted two ways of doing this, one by a Noble's skill, another is the benefit from one of the churches sects. this led me to the realization that there is no need to give the benefits of one sect to only one player. It would be more interesting otherwise.

i'll explain: church sects give benefits to players who are not excommunicated; players each start with a separate sect alliance. under normal understanding players gain the benefits each from their separate sect. however, what if a player owns a world of a different sect to his own. he may of course fill the local church with priests until it becomes his own sect, a natural course of action in gaining power for his own sect and a step to becoming emperor. However i see no reason to not allow the players who control planets of different sect (before they change it) to not gain the powers of that other sect on the world in question. interesting, and adds to the strategical outlook.

Another point that has popped up is sect choice. I think it may be viable to allow players chose their sect at start. Naturally there will have to be one sect per player. The option i am considering is a fixed order of choice. eg player A choses sect 3, player B can now chose any sect but sect 3...etc. The order of players choosing will be bases on the house's religious disposition: Yellow (the most religious) gets first choice, then Red, then Blue, then Orange, then Green (the least religious). This option may even permit more sects than the normal 5.
Last edited by BrodieBrodie on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
An optimist believes that this is the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimists fears that this may be true.

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

update: ai_19_8_4

Postby BrodieBrodie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 am

update as of ai_19_8_4:

started factions. clicking on some of the towns on the following planets will display icons with frames. this is the temporary way of displaying sides.

Kingsteps (red)
Caledonia (blue)
Yonder (Orange)
Angel (yellow)

Draco (green) will need graphics for vacuum/high pressure world structures. Red's planet type is temporary, for final cut, hope to have tundra world (a sort of ice version of the oasis type world). Note, enclosed farms not yet fully integrated into code for labor etc...

Just set locations and starting positions for now.
note: home world surfaces will be randomly generated. This is a feature i felt EFS lacked.

Roads now fully integrated. Note the high number of linked structures. this is a feature that will have to stay for the purpose of real-time play in a large playing field. the reason being that hundreds of units will be "path finding" (looking how to get from A to B, or working out where things are for AI) at the same time. This would seriously slow things down. The way to speed things up to the milliseconds needed, is to have many of the landmarks connected: Computer will first check if destination can not be reached by road. Sub note: the time needed to generate the universe is 95% used in working out these road paths. about 1.5 million nodes [virtual memory structures] are created and destroyed in the task, hence the increase of time. better this is done at the beginning than during play.

I tried to make roads as realistic as possible, they go from A to B, but not necessarily by the most direct route but in the "easiest" way, avoiding where possible difficult terrain (mountains most of all, hills, rivers, even forests to an extent). I'm rather surprised and proud of the result. given the hole thing is random, some parts of the generated terrain looks quasi like it was drawn by a human.

Roads are also an integral part of population resources. amongst the population icons, players will have to devote some workers to "transport" of resources and food to towns. the cost of this (the number of workers needed) is worked out by how well the commodities travel to the towns (e.g. 100 points per worker needed, road using 1 point per hex, plain 3, hill 5 etc...). Not to worry, all the boring maths will be worked out by computer, players need only fill positions in transport pool from their populations). The crux here is that more workers in transport = less for the army).

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

warehouses and piracy

Postby BrodieBrodie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 pm

building structure: Warehouse

Warehouses are where the world's mined, farmed and manufacturing goods end up. players can click on warehouse to find what goods are available. a warehouse also stocks the Guild's trade goods, so has useful trade purposes. if a warehouse does not exist on a world, goods will be stockpiled at their origin, allowing for limited scope of what is available (one will need to click on all steel mines, count each stock, to know the amount of steel).

Given that the universe of Ad-Infinitum is in a dark age, a feature i hope to add is space pirates...these buccaneers pray on isolated mines, wells, farms and steal the resources. Warehouses helps to protect these resources from sky raiders (although it will not be unknown for frustrated pirates to band together and raid warehouses).

An unusual feature of space pirates is that they may actually be quite useful to players. Players are likely to build warehouses and protect these. Accordingly space pirates, being cautious, are more likely to attack neutral undefended resources, and sell their bounty to players.

Sub Notes: Space pirates will differ from the romantic buccaneers of old in that their primary motif will be survival. They will never engage in space battles. Space ships are simply way to valuable to be worth the risk. Any orbital engagement with pirates will find them running. The crew of pirate ships will be 80% defense 20%Engineer. Their ships will contain several very experienced ground troop units, possibly an advanced mechanized division (high tech tanks), several captains (just in case), and plenty of cargo space.

Strangelove
Infantery

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Wow! It's really amazing to find those kind of projects around! ahah!
I became amazed by EOFS the first time I played it, although I founded it completly unplayable, and I ever hated hax-based games... (What the hell makes it so great??!!)
So, since I had been devouted to the Paradox games (Europa Universalis I, II, and so on) and then they all became boring, I started to code my own game a couple months ago.
It's going slow, since I'm just a hobby programmer and I'm quite busy with my studies. And it's also kinda limited , since I'm using blitzplus :D But the greates problem is about the game concept; I don't know what could be the best balance of macro/micromanagement, the game scope etc; so when all the basis are done I will have to stop and think a lot...ahahah!
Anyway, if you want to share ideas, please contact me!

Kosh2
Noble

Re: sect control

Postby Kosh2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 pm

BrodieBrodie wrote:thanks Kosh2. Well? what do you think so far?

Hi BrodieBrodie, sorry I've been very busy IRL but I have checked your program and it's very promising, it looks great.
Any update since April ? Is there any new release after 1.9.8.9?

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

Is there any new release after 1.9.8.9

Postby BrodieBrodie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Re 1.9.8.9; I've reached a point in the program that calls for units. This is a new set of code and will need a great deal of time. So i've decided to take a little break before tackling this one. Should get back to the code in a few months. to sum up: new release will hopefully be playable (but is unlikely to have an AI as i think i'm best to take this in stages), but will take a bit of time to develop.

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks BrodieBrodie
I look forward to test the new release

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:58 pm

unfotunately this was the last version, i sent him a mesage asking about the future ... i will update with a possible answer here.

Sukayo
Noble

Postby Sukayo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:46 pm

it is on hold, i got my message answered, when time allows he will continue.

LeperColony
Assault Legionnaire

Postby LeperColony » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:49 am

Is there anything we can do to help?

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

help

Postby BrodieBrodie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 pm

If you can code, read the code files and see if you can contribute. sorry my coding is very disorganized. But you may get the gist and be able to help. Grafix would be welcome, but please do not pinch images from other sources, these must be self made and gifted to the project under free use. I don't wont the project to have copyright issues.

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

Update, Sept 2011

Postby BrodieBrodie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm

hello and sorry about delay. a few problems: my last computer was damaged and I lost my Borland compiler, I have re adapted the project to a new free compiler: lcc-win32 (this will also allow others easy access to download the compiler and compile the game themselves using the .h and .c files in the code file.). Quite a bit of updating was needed to do the transfer and I took the opportunity to improve the game speed. this new version introduces units (and turns off the town selection icons). The first unit is, appropriately, the Noble: they may take some finding (they are on palaces and forts) and, for now, all they do is move. Working on the basic infantry next, then will implement basic combat. I have shrunk the universe size as there is little point generating a huge universes at this stage. I have made the click/select more user friendly, but will have to revisit the zoom feature later. Oh, I have used Inkscape and the Gimp to create/draw the unit, I forgot in this version, but I'll attach the working inkscape files in next version so others can easily create there own units.

Update: Just now added AdInfinitum_1_9_9_1_1.zip, this version has infantry units starting in all towns. Also enclosed the svg inkscape file in the grafix file (basic military.svg). Enjoy

Kosh2
Noble

Postby Kosh2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am

Hi! I 'm not wrote in this forum for ages
Thanks for the update

BrodieBrodie
Fighter pilot

update

Postby BrodieBrodie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Yep, its good to be back. been doing some more tinkering:
New available versions at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ad-infinitum/files/
Getting there, slowly but surely.
enjoy.

Return to “EFS Clone”