Questions/Comments on semi-random gameplay idea.

all the talk around the remake

Moderator: Deathifier

Garison
Space Legionnaire

Questions/Comments on semi-random gameplay idea.

Postby Garison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey folks.
i am working on an idea that involves very little "random" numbers when determining the damage between stacks. For instance, i was thinking about indirect combat taking place as random "counter" that were places among an opposing stack. The Direct-fire and Close Combat phases however, completely non-random. The damage is not based on random elements like agility and accuracy , but rather on the most effecient target(s). Combat units get an "initative" value between 1 and 10 that represents when they fire in combat. here is an example of my system.

2 two armies consist of 3 artilery and 5 tanks each.

Army 1 attack Army 2.

Indirect
Army 1 assigns all its indirect attack damage at random among Army 2.
Army 2 Assings all indirect attack damage at random among Army 1.

Direct
Army 1 Attacks with all direct-damage units of Init 10 and, Army 2 Attacks with all direct-damage units of Init 10 remaining . repeat this process again for init 9, 8 ,ect. Units will target the unit that can be killed with the highest init, least amount of hp, and finally strongest attack value.

Close
Army 1 attacks with the highest attack of init 10. Army 2 Attacks with the highest attack value of init 10. This process is repeated untill all units of init 10 have attacked, and then repeated init has been reduced to 0. Units will target the unit that can be killed with that has not attacked yet,has the highest init, least amount of hp, and finally strongest attack value.

The purpose of this design is to limit random numbers from controlling the odds of the game. Instead the composition of your forces and the choices you have made when building the stack will determine the outcome of the battle. battles will be fought in an "effcient" way maximazing attack damage on weak troops and eliminating them from the game.

My reasoning is that a player should have a reasonable ability to predict the outcome of battle, and would not spread the attack among strong foes,but instead focus on reducing the enemies forces. he would also not wait til the end of battle to try to attack quick units, or units that could counter-attack. These rules would simulate a strategic attack as best as i could measure. They give the attacking foe a first-strike bonus, especially in the direct-combat stage. do you think its to big of an advantage, and maybe i should reduce it, and treat that phase like closecombat instead.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this process, or thoughts/comments on the concept of semi-random or non-random gameplay in general. Should i take it a step further and eliminate the random factor of indirect-fire, or leave it ? I like the idea of all my choices determining the entire game, and not some random dice generator flushing my other-wise strategically sound moves down the proverbial toilet (maybe i just play wesnoth to much :D)

Eightball Maniac
Assault Legionnaire

Postby Eightball Maniac » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:10 am

I'm in favor of a semi-random method. This allows a measure of unpredictability, but doesn't subject the players to the aggravation of a random dice generator. Back when I played Wesnoth, I was absolutely infuriated when units would constantly attack a target and never hit because of some dice roller that hated me! :x

Return to “EFS Clone”