Which Patch?

You call for it - all things not handled in other parts of the forum

Moderator: cy387_lk

Clandaith
Infantery

Which Patch?

Postby Clandaith » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Hello. I'm new here on the forums. I have been a fan of EOFS since it first came out. Well, I have dusted off the game and have started playing it again.

But, which patch should I use, Hyperion or Nova? In a nutshell, what are the differences between them?

Thanks,

Clan Daith

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Re: Which Patch?

Postby cy387_lk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:39 am

The question is not for this section actually. ;)

Nova or Hyperion are unofficial mods, very good though. They make some changes to make the game more interesting and balanced without changing the main concepts. To install them you won't need any of official patches. Try to ask other people for more info.
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...
("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

Shocker
Noble

Postby Shocker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:02 pm

I think the main difference is that

Nova
1. Enables all ground forces to attach each other
2. Has a limited number of units that fit a specific model of how EFS should be played (DNA Assault are the ultimate ground unit for example)
3. Strategy for how to win is constant but human player diplomacy makes for lots of variability in how you fight and talk your way to a successful conclusion

Hyperion
1. Has specific fire table rules that govern what ground untis can attack what ground units.
2. Has a far greater number of units with many different variations on how you could build a successful military strategy and the are no killer units (every good unit has its counter unit)
3. This makes the military strategy for how to win both complex and dynamic based on what other players are doing. The diplomacy piece is still as fun as Nova.

That is a simplistic summary
Long Live EFS!

chalicier
Fighter pilot

Postby chalicier » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:48 am

For me the big difference is that Nova works and Hyperion doesn't. This isn't much help to you, but I figured it's a good answer to the thread title... :D

cy387_lk
Vau Ambassador

Postby cy387_lk » Wed May 18, 2005 7:55 pm

What did you mean by that? Yes, it perfectly works. Anfortunately Matt is too busy right now to look into your problem. Perhaps I could do it if you'd tell me what happens on your machine when you run EFS with Hyperion installed. ;)
Do I like science fiction? Sure! But only a bad one!...

("Tales of Pirx The Pilot" after Stanislaw Lem)

mr_moto
Infantery

Postby mr_moto » Fri May 27, 2005 6:37 am

What version of Hyperion patch is the best in meaning of balance? Which is the best for pbem games?

Return to “General Stuff”